Proper way to read transmission dipstick?

Captain Skip

This is my first Jeep so I'm still learning. After a debacle yesterday changing the transmission fluid I checked it first thing this morning while it was cold and the level seemed correct. I took it out for a ride of about 25 miles or so to heat up the transmission to full operating temperature. I stopped and checked the fluid level - vehicle level, running in Park (even though the dipstick says to check it in Neutral - I did it both ways) and I'm a bit confused by what I'm seeing. The fluid was hot and was visible on the dipstick up to the hot level but there was also fluid further up the dipstick - but not all the way across the dipstick, more on just one edge. It seemed to be in the proper hot level zone so I continued driving and went back home. When I got home I checked it again, parked in the garage, level with the transmission in Park. This time I'm still getting some fluid on the side of the dipstick but I could now see that both cold level holes had fluid filling them as well as the lower hot level hole. The upper hot level hole didn't have any fluid in it, but there was still fluid above it on one edge only. I made sure to put the dipstick back in after wiping it off with the engraved side facing up. Here's a photo of what it looked like. Is this a correct reading? The owner's manual was basically useless trying to figure this out. I'm used to my Chevy trucks which seem to be a lot easier to read when checking the transmission levels. After yesterday I'm a bit paranoid about doing something else wrong. Thanks

Attachments

• 4D95B6F5-B8AA-48A1-BC0E-BC37C1095EF3.jpg
    4D95B6F5-B8AA-48A1-BC0E-BC37C1095EF3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 87

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’d say it’s good. As long as your teaching the Hot zone.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bierpower

Hooked
Your fluid splashes around while your driving and coats the inside of the dipstick tube with oil. When you pull the stick out it runs the sides of the tube collecting some oil. As long as the fluid is fully across the dipstick in the hatched area you should be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Captain Skip

Thanks all. I did finally find it in the manual. Not a big description but enough to figure it out. Appreciate the input.

Top Bottom