2020 JLUR Flighty Steering

JoeBac

It feels like a Jeep with a lift that hasn't been aligned properly. Has anybody put adjustable control arms on a stock height Jeep to address the flighty steering?
If so, what alignment specs are you using?

Joe

Ddays

Hooked
It feels like a Jeep with a lift that hasn't been aligned properly. Has anybody put adjustable control arms on a stock height Jeep to address the flighty steering?

Joe

It's not the control arms, this issue seems to be in the steering box and the frame area surrounding it. There are a couple threads here and also a few good ones over on the sister site jlwrangler.com . The Synergy sector shaft brace and track bar seem to do wonders in correcting this.

WJCO

Meme King

Joe

Make sure you keep your dealer in the loop so there is a record for your vehicle. That way if any parts are updated, you can show that you've had a concern and get it fixed. I'm pretty sure they've updated the steering box like 3 times already.

JoeBac

Also, be sure that your tires aren't overinflated.

Yikes. They were 45 psi cold from the dealer. I dropped them down to 32 psi and just cruised around the immediate area and what a difference. I didn't break 50 mph, so I'll have to see how it does on the freeway, but its already a huge difference. There is still that dead spot at 12 o'clock that I am assuming is the steering box, as mentioned, but it never felt as bad as some of the videos I've seen on youtube, so maybe FCA is making progress.

Thanks guys.

mtnhi7

I have a '20 JL about 5 weeks old. Tire pressure was over 40 psi as delivered. The Jeep wandered all over the road, requiring constant steering correction. Took it to dealer in Reno and tire pressure was lowered to 34 psi and lower control arms were replaced. Seems to have solved the wandering issue. Our local Jeep engineer (he really is one) commented that the tires were inflated in Toledo (close to sea level) and that likely accounted for the problem. He lowered pressure in his tires to 34 psi. Reno's elevation is 4500 ft; I live at 5245' above sea level. And what's the situation with the "dead spot?" Please elaborate.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I have a '20 JL about 5 weeks old. Tire pressure was over 40 psi as delivered. The Jeep wandered all over the road, requiring constant steering correction. Took it to dealer in Reno and tire pressure was lowered to 34 psi and lower control arms were replaced. Seems to have solved the wandering issue. Our local Jeep engineer (he really is one) commented that the tires were inflated in Toledo (close to sea level) and that likely accounted for the problem. He lowered pressure in his tires to 34 psi. Reno's elevation is 4500 ft; I live at 5245' above sea level. And what's the situation with the "dead spot?" Please elaborate.

:cheesy: An "engineer" really said that the pressure was off because they filled the tires in Toledo? That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

JoeBac

The dead spot is the area of the steering where moving the steering wheel doesn't seem to translate into moving the actual steering components. Its small but noticeable, at least on mine. Airing down did a lot to improve it. It also drives kind of like a lifted vehicle that hasn't had the suspension/steering geometry corrected. There is a little bit of bump steer, more than what I remember from my previous SAS vehicles, which have included several Jeeps.

:cheesy: An "engineer" really said that the pressure was off because they filled the tires in Toledo? That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

This, haha. No to be a dick, but yea that sounds exactly like the garbage that people who work for Jeep make up as theoretical solutions. Not saying everyone who works for Jeep is bad. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom