Flex Question

14ACES

What is considered good flex? I decided to test out my jeeps suspension with the forklift.

First to see how the rear tire fit in the newly trimmed rear wheel wells, second to see how my new PSC hydraulic ram cleared everything and third because I was curious.

In the first picture from the top of the fork to the ground is 27”. Is that good or bad?

My set up
Teraflex Alpine Long Arm
Evo 4” Plush Ride Springs
Fox 2.5 Internally Bypass Shocks
Nemesis Industries Front Lower Shock relocation bracket
Fox Bumps front and rear

I have adjustable track-bars front and read.
Did not use a raised trackbar bracket in the rear. I did replace my front trackbar bracket with a Artec stock location bracket so I could weld my ram tabs to it.
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
Kind of hard to tell from that angle but it looks to me like you could get more out of the front. How much bump stop are you running? Is your drag link close to contacting the frame? Is your sway bar disconnected? Is your shock fully compressed?

6A47BCB7-7783-4159-B766-BEBF8D5B1680.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
This definitely looks like the front sway bar is connected. The axle is almost parallel to the bumper. All of that flex is coming from the rear axle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
What is considered good flex? I decided to test out my jeeps suspension with the forklift.

First to see how the rear tire fit in the newly trimmed rear wheel wells, second to see how my new PSC hydraulic ram cleared everything and third because I was curious.

In the first picture from the top of the fork to the ground is 27”. Is that good or bad?

My set up
Teraflex Alpine Long Arm
Evo 4” Plush Ride Springs
Fox 2.5 Internally Bypass Shocks
Nemesis Industries Front Lower Shock relocation bracket
Fox Bumps front and rear

I have adjustable track-bars front and read.
Did not use a raised trackbar bracket in the rear. I did replace my front trackbar bracket with a Artec stock location bracket so I could weld my ram tabs to it.

Is your front sway bar disconnected or still connected?

WJCO

Meme King
This definitely looks like the front sway bar is connected. The axle is almost parallel to the bumper. All of that flex is coming from the rear axle.

Glad I wasn't the only one who saw that. I kept looking at the picture trying to convince myself otherwise.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Measure to the bottom of the tire and run an RTI (Ramp Travel Index) calculator to see what it scores. Then you have a base line that we can compare to.

14ACES

Thank you for the feedback. I thought the swaybar was disconnected but it didnt seem right. The light was solid in the cluster. I will try it again.

14ACES

I just lifted up again with the forklift. Lifted it till the passenger rear tire just left the ground.

I figured out my rear shock ran out of stroke before the it was done flexing. Its a 10.5” stroke shock and its maxed out. I need to raise my rear lower shock mounts to gain for flex. Adjustments.jpg

14ACES

I still have over an inch of bump left on the drivers side. Adjustments.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
I don’t think you can get that last 1” with being moving at speed and taking a good whoop or pot hole.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

14ACES

I haven’t even touch the front bumps yet and the draglink is anywhere near the frame.

Any recommendations on a rear shock relocation bracket? Adjustments.jpg

14ACES

Measure to the bottom of the tire and run an RTI (Ramp Travel Index) calculator to see what it scores. Then you have a base line that we can compare to.

Based on 4lo.com they say I have a RTI score of 750 and travel up the ramp 84.4 inches.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Based on 4lo.com they say I have a RTI score of 750 and travel up the ramp 84.4 inches.

That is pretty low. Not to brag, but I ramped 853 on a 20 degree with 3" springs and King shocks (which are a shorter stroke than the Fox I used to have). So something is up with your set up.

You're not going to find full bump just by lifting a wheel. To really figure it out, you should put the frame on stands or a lift, drop out the springs, and cycle the suspension. Then you'll find where your full bump and full droop really are.

Maybe the shocks are too short. Maybe the control arms are bound up. Maybe the sway bar didn't really disconnect. You can always unbolt a sway bar link and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: The more I look at the pictures- even if you unbolted the rear shocks, the jeep is just to lean more from the rear. The front isn't compressing. That's why I suspect the sway bar. You should be on your bump stop up front.

Last edited:

14ACES

That is pretty low. Not to brag, but I ramped 853 on a 20 degree with 3" springs and King shocks (which are a shorter stroke than the Fox I used to have). So something is up with your set up.

You're not going to find full bump just by lifting a wheel. To really figure it out, you should put the frame on stands or a lift, drop out the springs, and cycle the suspension. Then you'll find where your full bump and full droop really are.

Maybe the shocks are too short. Maybe the control arms are bound up. Maybe the sway bar didn't really disconnect. You can always unbolt a sway bar link and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: The more I look at the pictures- even if you unbolted the rear shocks, the jeep is just to lean more from the rear. The front isn't compressing. That's why I suspect the sway bar. You should be on your bump stop up front.

Thanks for the feedback.

When I installed my fox bumps and new springs. I cycled the suspension and set up the bumps. I can get it to bump out with out springs just lifting the axle vertically and have it stop 3/8 from my fender. I will try physically disconnecting the front swaybar to see how what that does.

Couple thoughts:

Try lifting the rear tire up with the forks, you might not be putting enough load on the front coils to compress them all the way.

You also may be getting some bind with the control arms....

That RTI number is way too low for your potential...

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I haven’t even touch the front bumps yet and the draglink is anywhere near the frame.

Any recommendations on a rear shock relocation bracket? View attachment 348348

I don't have a rubicon so I don't know what the automatic disconnect looks like or how it works. I'm wondering if it got bypassed or removed maybe when they installed your lift? To me, that looks like a standard upper control arm on my sahara (well longer due to your lift but I'm not seeing the auto disconnect doohickey.)

Top Bottom