JT finally hits the rocks

bkac

Caught the Bug
After 6 months of owning it and a few snow runs it was time to take the Gladiator to the rocks. We ran the Rubicon Trail and then hit Fordyce. Needless to say the trip was amazing and the truck wheeled better then anything I had ever taken through the trail. The most fun part was learning the new lines for the longer wheelbase. Cadillac hill was the icing on the cake. It was super tight with the truck and challenging. I couldn’t believe how the longer wheelbase actually helped along the trail way more then got in the way. There was a few spots that required 3 point turns but that was about it. I do think ever rock I went over game my rear bumper a good game as I came off them. I had several friends that came along with questions in there mind on how it would do, but they were quickly changed after the first few obstacles. We all got off the trail and said, that was insane how easy the truck made things look. (I was like it wasn’t the truck it was the driver Hahahaha) jk. I’m and now 100% a believer that these trucks are way more capable then I ever realized. I got to admit, I was skeptical before I went out East and watched Eddie and Cindy wheel the crap out of their truck. Made me come home and sell my JL for a JT. I haven’t looked back since and love this truck so much. I came off the trails with zero body damage. I did knock a rear driveshaft weight off though. Coming out of buck island I touched one of my brake lights so I decided to remove them before I took one out. 8mm and 5 minutes was well worth the price to buy new lights. I decided to go with the RK rear 4 link setup and now I’m regretting this decision. After 3000 miles and 1 wheeling trip it smoked my rear upper joints making the 8hr drive home not so fun. You would have thought I was drunk and the back end was walking around. RK shipped me out new joints saying there must have been a defect but only time will tell. I honestly think the joints just can hold up to the added stress of the 4 link. I’m thinking I’ll change back to a 5 link now.
Here’s a few pictures from the trip.

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Attachments

• IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
After 6 months of owning it and a few snow runs it was time to take the Gladiator to the rocks. We ran the Rubicon Trail and then hit Fordyce. I was blown away with the amount of negative comments from random people when I said I was headed there. I was in the grocery parking lot in Pollick Pines and a random guys said, you’re taking that through the Rubicon? Good luck with that. Once on the Trail it turned a lot of heads and the comments improved. Guess there haven’t been a lot of Gladiators seen on that trail yet. Needless to say the trip was amazing and the truck wheeled better then anything I had ever taken through the trail. The most fun part was learning the new lines for the longer wheelbase. Cadillac hill was the icing on the cake. It was super tight with the truck and challenging. I couldn’t believe how the longer wheelbase actually helped along the trail way more then got in the way. There was a few spots that required 3 point turns but that was about it. I do think ever rock I went over game my rear bumper a good game as I came off them. I had several friends that came along with questions in there mind on how it would do, but they were quickly changed after the first few obstacles. We all got off the trail and said, that was insane how easy the truck made things look. (I was like it wasn’t the truck it was the driver Hahahaha) jk. I’m and now 100% a believer that these trucks are way more capable then I ever realized. I got to admit, I was skeptical before I went out East and watched Eddie and Cindy wheel the crap out of their truck. Made me come home and sell my JL for a JT. I haven’t looked back since and love this truck so much. I even had a Toyota guy say that thing is crazy where it will go. lol maybe we’ll start winning more of them over to the better side! Hahahaha
I came off the trails with zero body damage. I did knock a rear driveshaft weight off though. Coming out of buck island I touched one of my brake lights so I decided to remove them before I took one out. 8mm and 5 minutes was well worth the price to buy new lights. I decided to go with the RK rear 4 link setup and now I’m regretting this decision. After 3000 miles and 1 wheeling trip it smoked my rear upper joints making the 8hr drive home not so fun. You would have thought I was drunk and the back end was walking around. RK shipped me out new joints saying there must have been a defect but only time will tell. I honestly think the joints just can hold up to the added stress of the 4 link. I’m thinking I’ll change back to a 5 link now.
Here’s a few pictures from the trip.
View attachment 348767

View attachment 348768

View attachment 348769

View attachment 348770

View attachment 348771

Sounds like a great trip, bummer about the links but I'm glad to hear how well the JT did. How much snow was up there?

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a great trip, bummer about the links but I'm glad to hear how well the JT did. How much snow was up there?

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks yeah you live and learn. Should have went evo on the arms but thought the concept was cool. Snow? Saw some piles coming out but none on the trail. It did snow at Fordyce Sunday morning.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Coming up soup bowl and a few others

Adjustments.jpg

The tree on big sluce
Adjustments.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Heholua

Thanks for the great pictures and honest feed back on your JT. It sure is nice to know that the long wheel base isn't a limiting factor on trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce. Looks like it was a great trip minus the link problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Great pics and thanks for your honest opinion. As much as I've hesitated, a part of me wants to build mine up. Please keep us posted on the replacement Rock Krawler joints as time goes on. I'm still not sure what direction I want to go IF I decide to build this thing. Really glad to hear of no body damage. No pinstripes with the long wheelbase?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the great pictures and honest feed back on your JT. It sure is nice to know that the long wheel base isn't a limiting factor on trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce. Looks like it was a great trip minus the link problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

It was a great trip and so fun to wheel the truck. I was so surprised that it was more help then not. The joints stink but that’s my bad for trying. lol

Awesome shots! Looks like you had fun! Thanks for the feedback and testing the JT out! [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks I smiled the entire time. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great pics and thanks for your honest opinion. As much as I've hesitated, a part of me wants to build mine up. Please keep us posted on the replacement Rock Krawler joints as time goes on. I'm still not sure what direction I want to go IF I decide to build this thing. Really glad to hear of no body damage. No pinstripes with the long wheelbase?

I will definitely keep you guys posted. I hope it was something faulty but I highly doubt it. There’s a ton of added stress back there with the four link. But make it flexes without any bind. If it was only a trailer queen!

Lol “IF”
I think you mean when I figure out if I’m going to build it before or after the warranty expires.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Looks Awesome in the trail! Great to see it getting out they it’s paces!

I was really impressed watching highoctane’s JT preform out in the trail over the weekend. Much better than I would have thought

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Man, every time I drive by a JT, I’m like “meh”. But then I see pics like these and I’m in love...

bkac

Caught the Bug
Looks Awesome in the trail! Great to see it getting out they it’s paces!

I was really impressed watching highoctane’s JT preform out in the trail over the weekend. Much better than I would have thought

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I love seeing what it is capable of without beating on it to hard. :)

Looks like an awesome trip!
If you’ve never done the Rubicon it’s amazing. The views are breathtaking and the rocks never stop.

Looking through these photos on this thread, I can say that you had so much fun on your rock adventure. :brows:

We really did. Made it from loon lake to the dirty dozen in 6 hrs, made for an afternoon of stories, cold drinks and great company

Man, every time I drive by a JT, I’m like “meh”. But then I see pics like these and I’m in love...

I couldn’t agree more. I was on the fence until I build mine up. :) I still prefer the look of the wrangler but love the functionality of the Gladiator.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Glad to see you rockin your JT. Always cracks me up to hear people tell me how there's no way it can do it. Bummer about the RK joints. Size does matter and they are considerably smaller than Johnny Joints.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Awesome! Glad to see you rockin your JT. Always cracks me up to hear people tell me how there's no way it can do it. Bummer about the RK joints. Size does matter and they are considerably smaller than Johnny Joints.

Yeah so much hate from bystanders, I think it’s more jealousy then anything. I’m gonna try these replacement joints for a bit to give a real life experience then switch to EVO arms. I need to go to coilovers also as the skyjacker springs are just to soft with the spare tire on the rack. You know do it twice because I didn’t do it right the first time lol [emoji23]

Top Bottom