My new, TJ project.

Kuboske

I had a friend tell me about a Wrangler TJ, a 2000 Sport model, that had both engine, and transmission problems that he had heard about being for sale. The owner thought it had a blown head gasket and some bad syncronizers. He gave me the phone number and I kind of forgot about it. I finally decided to call the guy and get the story and it pretty much matched what I had heard. The guy said he wanted it gone, and told me I should come take a look.
I finally, maybe, two weeks later, decide to go look. Expecting to find a rusted out junker, with all kinds of issues, I was surprised at the condition of both body and frame. A one-owner Jeep, and from Austin, Texas, until he moved to Indy, a couple years ago. 143000, miles.
I quizzed him on what the Jeep did, when he thought the head gasket blew. He told me it had a large puddle of anti-freeze under it when he came out of Lowes, one day. No steam looking exhaust smoke, didn't get hot, and when I checked the oil fill cap, no milky residue on the bottom of it. No indication of oil in the coolant, at all. Now I'm thinking maybe just a simple water pump failure.
Anyway, I gave it a think for a couple days. Not really looking for any more projects, my shop is full. I decide to offer to bring my trailer and a very low amount of cash. He takes it, and now, I have two Jeeps.
The day after I trailer it home, I have it running. The radiator was leaking. That is all. Good sounding, 4.0L, too. None of that lifter noise, so many have. He was correct about the trans. The salvage yard seems to think a pull out, NV3550, is worth $800. I can rebuild this one for around $400.
So, now, I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I was going to fix it and flip it, But, after getting it, I just want to keep it.
I could, A. leave it bone stock and let my Daughter drive it. She says it's "cute". I might as well put "Barbie" stickers on it.
B. Go mild lift and 33's on it, so I at least think it looks cool and allow her to drive it, and me as well, from time to time. It's got Dana 35/30s and 3:73.
(My wife likes this option and amazingly, thinks I should keep both Jeeps.)
C. Go absolutely wild with a probably $15,000, shopping spree at GenRight, and Currie, and build a super trail Jeep. (MY favorite option.)
So, anyway, since this is show-and-tell, I will try to include some photos. 100_6573.jpg 100_6575.jpg 100_6577.jpg 100_6574.jpg

Last edited:
Bahahahah. A radiator. I love stories like this. Pretty sure you can just use an ax15, I don’t believe there were any mounting differences from the 97-99 tj’s vs the nv3550 in the 00- til they put a 6 speed in it. Pretty sure the yj ax 15s are the same as well, I actually preferred the feel of my 97 with the ax vs my 01 with the nv. It was quieter. Likely can get one Waac cheaper than an nv.

Devils advocate, how bad are the synchros? Have you checked fluid for brass yet? Try draining and putting in some redline Mtl see if it fixes the issue, I’ve seen it work miracles on sticky ones grinding. Obviously it doesn’t regrow metal.

Also TJ’s look ugly with anything less than 33s so it’s gotta be B or C

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Nice find! Is say sell the square headlight Jeep and build the TJ. Lol. Just mess’in. Option B. Looks like you have a trail rig and TJ’s just look right with 33’s.

dustinfromohio

I have the exact same 30/35/NV/3.73 setup IMHO 33s are just below the line where things get real pricey quick. After that it’s upgraded axles/brakes/etc

Kuboske

Bahahahah. A radiator. I love stories like this. Pretty sure you can just use an ax15, I don’t believe there were any mounting differences from the 97-99 tj’s vs the nv3550 in the 00- til they put a 6 speed in it. Pretty sure the yj ax 15s are the same as well, I actually preferred the feel of my 97 with the ax vs my 01 with the nv. It was quieter. Likely can get one Waac cheaper than an nv.

Devils advocate, how bad are the synchros? Have you checked fluid for brass yet? Try draining and putting in some redline Mtl see if it fixes the issue, I’ve seen it work miracles on sticky ones grinding. Obviously it doesn’t regrow metal.

Also TJ’s look ugly with anything less than 33s so it’s gotta be B or C
Thanks for the tip on Redline MTL. I've seen their products advertised, but, never tried them.
Nice find! Is say sell the square headlight Jeep and build the TJ. Lol. Just mess’in. Option B. Looks like you have a trail rig and TJ’s just look right with 33’s.
That's funny, because when Jeep came out with Wranglers in general, and square headlights to boot, I thought they were idiots. I grew up around CJ's and old flat fenders. All these years later I own one... I've got a lot of labor in my YJ, now. Plus many years of adventures in it. Plus, I think I'll get a "Historic Vehicle"' plate for it this year.
I have the exact same 30/35/NV/3.73 setup IMHO 33s are just below the line where things get real pricey quick. After that it’s upgraded axles/brakes/etc
I thinking, option "B", will be what I do. I would much rather go with, "C", but, I'm also building a street rod pickup. Lots of demands on "play money".

Kuboske

New update: Decided a TJ has to at least be on 33's. Went the cheap, fast route to get them on. 3" body lift, 33-12.50X15 BFG's. I know... I can hear the groaning through my fiber optic. But, it will be enough for a trip in Sept. Then I can decide if I'm keeping it.
It does look better and gained a small amount of clearance while maintaining drivability. Wife likes the ride better than the YJ. No leaf-spring love for her.
100_6589.jpg
The radiator fixed the engine. The trans does need syncro's. I will rebuild it, but for now, I can double clutch it, or half clutch it, and it does fine. That ensures my wife or daughter, won't be driving it.

Jsouder53

Hooked
That is a great looking TJ! Just what I’m hoping to find eventually. I decided to just be slow, save a little more and maybe even find a decent Rubicon TJ. Not actively looking but just keeping my eyes open.

Top Bottom