DIY Hard Top Lift.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Spent the day hanging a hart top lift I scraped together. I used a winch and some pulleys from my local horror fraught tools. Cost me less then 100 bucks for everything all said and done. I have a few things I want to change but it should get me through the summer. 20200614_105241.jpg 20200614_105253.jpg 20200614_115026.jpg 20200614_120308.jpg 20200614_123835.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spazbyt

Hooked
Thanks guys! I'm going to work on getting the hoist to pull up tight to the ceiling so it cant just swing around like a wreaking ball.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Do you have a layout or some better pictures of that 'T' you are using to grab the hardtop and what went into it? I need to make something exactly like that for my hard top lift.

And looks awesome!

Cool. Wish I had a garage but I rent. This is what I made. It all comes apart and I could potentially bring it with me anywhere.

Attachments

• 20200614_123846.jpg
    20200614_123846.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 63

Spazbyt

Hooked
Do you have a layout or some better pictures of that 'T' you are using to grab the hardtop and what went into it? I need to make something exactly like that for my hard top lift.

And looks awesome!
The "T" is 3/4 chip bored. I would have much preferred plywood but this is what I had laying around. I ran a alot of screws from the bottom which made me nervous that the chip board would split so I put down a fat bead of construction adhesive and a few small L brackets to avoid catistrophic failure. I drilled a bunch of holes so I could adjust the center of balance. The hooks are just U bolts cut and plasti-diped. The rear U bolt slides between the rear hatch glass. I cut slots for the side U bolts because I was unsure of the exact width of the hard top at the time. 20200627_125825.jpg 20200627_125835.jpg 20200627_125726.jpg Image.jpg

The "T" is 3/4 chip bored. I would have much preferred plywood but this is what I had laying around. I ran a alot of screws from the bottom which made me nervous that the chip board would split so I put down a fat bead of construction adhesive and a few small L brackets to avoid catistrophic failure. I drilled a bunch of holes so I could adjust the center of balance. The hooks are just U bolts cut and plasti-diped. The rear U bolt slides between the rear hatch glass. I cut slots for the side U bolts because I was unsure of the exact width of the hard top at the time. View attachment 349482 View attachment 349483 View attachment 349485 View attachment 349486

Just to be clear, do you set the frame down on The top and then connect the u bolts. Seams obvious but I have to ask anyway just for clarity. Also I notice the back glass is down. Do you have any concerns for it being damaged by the hook. I should have said this the other day.....awesome job. I always like to see DIY stuff like this. The design is simple and very functional. Good call on the adhesive and L brackets. I would not have thought to do a T shape. Looks like it worked great. EDIT... T shape across the top from front to back

Last edited:

Spazbyt

Hooked
Just to be clear, do you set the frame down on The top and then connect the u bolts. Seams obvious but I have to ask anyway just for clarity. Also I notice the back glass is down. Do you have any concerns for it being damaged by the hook. I should have said this the other day.....awesome job. I always like to see DIY stuff like this. The design is simple and very functional. Good call on the adhesive and L brackets. I would not have thought to do a T shape. Looks like it worked great. EDIT... T shape across the top from front to back

Yes, you can either insert the hooks up through the wood frame or just loosen them up a bit so you can rotate them around. For example. I lower the wood T down on top of the hard top. I then loosen up the hooks by hand until I can rotate them under the hard top. For the rear hook I turn it 90* so it can pass between the open rear glass and the hard top. I can leave the hatch open or it will actually close around the hook albeit it will bow your glass out so don't slam it closed. Pro Tip: Don't forget to leave enough room to open you tail gate and your rear hatch when positioning the winch. Ask me how I know :doh:

Yes, you can either insert the hooks up through the wood frame or just loosen them up a bit so you can rotate them around. For example. I lower the wood T down on top of the hard top. I then loosen up the hooks by hand until I can rotate them under the hard top. For the rear hook I turn it 90* so it can pass between the open rear glass and the hard top. I can leave the hatch open or it will actually close around the hook albeit it will bow your glass out so don't slam it closed. Pro Tip: Don't forget to leave enough room to open you tail gate and your rear hatch when positioning the winch. Ask me how I know :doh:

Haha....indeed I can relate to that....haha. when I put the ratchet straps on my set up I ran into that problem.....literally.....haha....nothing beats experience. Thanks for the clarification figured as much. Glad to not be afraid to ask questions. Will be storing this setup in my brain for when I have a garage.

Hello to all the WALers. I wouldn't mind seeing more innovative ways we have figured out to get the hard top off single handedly. Post up some info an pics if you are so inclined. Thanks all. Be good.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Hello to all the WALers. I wouldn't mind seeing more innovative ways we have figured out to get the hard top off single handedly. Post up some info an pics if you are so inclined. Thanks all. Be good.

Costs a little bit, but I use a Racor Vertical Storage System to remove and store my hardtop. Its safe, secure and allows me to remove, store and install all by myself:

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Oscar's No Build Thread
https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=677349

Top Bottom