Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Hard Top Lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazbyt View Post
    The "T" is 3/4 chip bored. I would have much preferred plywood but this is what I had laying around. I ran a alot of screws from the bottom which made me nervous that the chip board would split so I put down a fat bead of construction adhesive and a few small L brackets to avoid catistrophic failure. I drilled a bunch of holes so I could adjust the center of balance. The hooks are just U bolts cut and plasti-diped. The rear U bolt slides between the rear hatch glass. I cut slots for the side U bolts because I was unsure of the exact width of the hard top at the time. Attachment 349482Attachment 349483Attachment 349485Attachment 349486

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Just to be clear, do you set the frame down on The top and then connect the u bolts. Seams obvious but I have to ask anyway just for clarity. Also I notice the back glass is down. Do you have any concerns for it being damaged by the hook. I should have said this the other day.....awesome job. I always like to see DIY stuff like this. The design is simple and very functional. Good call on the adhesive and L brackets. I would not have thought to do a T shape. Looks like it worked great. EDIT... T shape across the top from front to back
    Last edited by Billybob1178; 06-28-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billybob1178 View Post
    Just to be clear, do you set the frame down on The top and then connect the u bolts. Seams obvious but I have to ask anyway just for clarity. Also I notice the back glass is down. Do you have any concerns for it being damaged by the hook. I should have said this the other day.....awesome job. I always like to see DIY stuff like this. The design is simple and very functional. Good call on the adhesive and L brackets. I would not have thought to do a T shape. Looks like it worked great. EDIT... T shape across the top from front to back
    Yes, you can either insert the hooks up through the wood frame or just loosen them up a bit so you can rotate them around. For example. I lower the wood T down on top of the hard top. I then loosen up the hooks by hand until I can rotate them under the hard top. For the rear hook I turn it 90* so it can pass between the open rear glass and the hard top. I can leave the hatch open or it will actually close around the hook albeit it will bow your glass out so don't slam it closed. Pro Tip: Don't forget to leave enough room to open you tail gate and your rear hatch when positioning the winch. Ask me how I know
    I've never done it but I'm sure i'll be good at it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12