3.6 Radiator Fan

The BAD Influence

My Jeep runs hot. Not just on hill climbs but even on the freeway if I hold it at 3000 rpms for too long. Last night on a local Jeep Facebook page there was a discussion about the fans not working properly. Apparently it's a common problem. The fan will kick on at 225° and seem to run fine, but just isn't spinning fast enough to pull enough air through. I've replaced the radiator and thermostat, with no change. Is this fan issue really that common? It's an easy, but expensive fix. Any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks

nbunga

Caught the Bug
My Jeep runs hot. Not just on hill climbs but even on the freeway if I hold it at 3000 rpms for too long. Last night on a local Jeep Facebook page there was a discussion about the fans not working properly. Apparently it's a common problem. The fan will kick on at 225° and seem to run fine, but just isn't spinning fast enough to pull enough air through. I've replaced the radiator and thermostat, with no change. Is this fan issue really that common? It's an easy, but expensive fix. Any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks

Is there anything blocking airflow to your grille, like a winch, decorative grill inserts, bull bar or anything? That’s been a problem for a few guys on here before.

Ddays

Hooked
The 3.6's run pretty hot and a lot has to do with the emissions. Even so, running hotter than normal hasn't seemed to really affect the life of them. My '12 Durango with the same engine/tranny combination runs considerably cooler
than the Jeep.

The BAD Influence

Is there anything blocking airflow to your grille, like a winch, decorative grill inserts, bull bar or anything? That’s been a problem for a few guys on here before.

Winch. But that's been on since the Jeep was a couple months old. Biggest difference changed after gears and lockers. 37s, so I went with 5.13. 3000 rpms at 75 mph.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Had you done anything with the coolant system prior to or around the time you did gears?

The BAD Influence

Had you done anything with the coolant system prior to or around the time you did gears?

Yes. Replaced the radiator and thermostat. I've had the dealership flush the system twice, thinking there's maybe still some air in there. It never blows any antifreeze out, and the de gas bottle is always right at full level.

CalSgt

Hooked
Yes. Replaced the radiator and thermostat. I've had the dealership flush the system twice, thinking there's maybe still some air in there. It never blows any antifreeze out, and the de gas bottle is always right at full level.

Thermostat with a different temp range or defective thermostat could cause that I think...

Winch. But that's been on since the Jeep was a couple months old. Biggest difference changed after gears and lockers. 37s, so I went with 5.13. 3000 rpms at 75 mph.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me. Temp gauge never really moved past halfway. Went to 37s and 5.13 gears started to get higher temps. Mine gauge only moves when going up longer steeper hills though. Gets up to the 3/4 mark. A local 4x4 shop told me not worry about it. He said it was common with the larger tires and gears at elevation. :thinking:

Ddays

Hooked
This is the exact same thing that happened to me. Temp gauge never really moved past halfway. Went to 37s and 5.13 gears started to get higher temps. Mine gauge only moves when going up longer steeper hills though. Gets up to the 3/4 mark. A local 4x4 shop told me not worry about it. He said it was common with the larger tires and gears at elevation. :thinking:

Mine did the same thing and I really started noticing it when I drove through Colorado on 70. Temp went up to the 3/4 mark on every hill but never went past it. I finally quit worrying about it. I've never overheated in it either.

jeeeep

Hooked
My 2010 JK did the same thing, was fine for a long time with 4.88, 37's, beadlocks and winch; then it starting running hotter.

Replaced the water pump helped it a little but I noticed that turning off the AC would drop it back into normal range.

I had the AC checked, they found a leak, fixed it an it's been back to normal again.

The BAD Influence

Thanks for the feedback. A friend with almost the same build is seeing the same temps. Guess other than swapping out the bumper with one that will drop the winch down away from the grill, there's not much to worry about.

The BAD Influence

Update:
I took it back to the dealership, one more try at flushing the radiator. Thinking there has to be air in the system. They called and said they did a pressure test, and there's a blown head gasket. Got 6 months left on the warranty so they're taking care of it.

Update:
I took it back to the dealership, one more try at flushing the radiator. Thinking there has to be air in the system. They called and said they did a pressure test, and there's a blown head gasket. Got 6 months left on the warranty so they're taking care of it.

Thats a bummer. Good thing you were paying attention and kept after it. Could have got ugly and real expensive if you blew it off.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Update:

I’d say that’s a bummer but damn you got lucky that it got caught with 6 months left!

Update:

Glad they found that! Will be interested to see if that completely fixes the temps from going up.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Update:

Happy they found that for you under warranty!

Top Bottom