Looking to buy used JK 2017 MANUAL - your opinion matters

kampoyj

Hi all- i currently own a 3.8L v6 2008 3 door jk- i have come across a sweet deal 2017 manual JK with not many miles on the clock and it looks quite clean- it is a manual

I live in Dubai and have been wheeling using the auto for some time- i ve owned a manuial yj for 25 years and thoroughly enjoyed manual transmission off roading but i four wheeled on different terrain rocks, mud and forests then

Now in the desert i would like to ask your opinion if i should have any good benefit from going with the manual as i do mostly desert off roading. the auto whilst boring in my opinion has given me a different perspecitve with the current jk on the desert i do still miss manual in many ways though

My intent is to do a 3 inch tera or Synergy lift and 35s straight off if i buy the 2017 manual- what are your thoughts? does the manual need re gearing with the 3.6 straight off or can i live with the 35s performance ? what do you all think about the manual on desert driving? has anyone had that setup and could you throw me a few pointers?

Post some pics of dubai-wheelin

No one here will recommend teraflex, we've seen the pictures, we've heard their excuses.

I will always recommend manuals. Simplicity is nice, complete control is great, and clutches really arent that big of a deal every 150kish miles or longer. It will also allow you to deal with larger tires without necessity of regearing immediately (within reason). No coolers and lines to break and leak and leave you stranded without fluid. No delicate pan on the bottom to pierce with a rock. Wont overheat.
The only time I personally "prefer" autos are climbing obstacles where you can just point and give it gas, versus trying not to burn the clutch as you hold rpm's up and try not to stall. Also I must admit the new ones they are putting in JL's are impressive and actually shift when you want them to.

The closest comparison I have for desert is dune driving, in which I love to be able to leave it in one gear and not worry about it trying to find the right gear to get up a hill or trying to shift up at a bad time. If its mostly flat and you just bomb around I still don't see any downside to the manual.

If you're going from a 3.8 and auto to a 3.6 and manual I think you will be very happy.

Seriously, throw up some pics

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Post some pics of dubai-wheelin

No one here will recommend teraflex, we've seen the pictures, we've heard their excuses.

I will always recommend manuals. Simplicity is nice, complete control is great, and clutches really arent that big of a deal every 150kish miles or longer. It will also allow you to deal with larger tires without necessity of regearing immediately (within reason). No coolers and lines to break and leak and leave you stranded without fluid. No delicate pan on the bottom to pierce with a rock. Wont overheat.
The only time I personally "prefer" autos are climbing obstacles where you can just point and give it gas, versus trying not to burn the clutch as you hold rpm's up and try not to stall. Also I must admit the new ones they are putting in JL's are impressive and actually shift when you want them to.

The closest comparison I have for desert is dune driving, in which I love to be able to leave it in one gear and not worry about it trying to find the right gear to get up a hill or trying to shift up at a bad time. If its mostly flat and you just bomb around I still don't see any downside to the manual.

If you're going from a 3.8 and auto to a 3.6 and manual I think you will be very happy.

Seriously, throw up some pics

I personally prefer manual, don't really know what would be better or worse for sand but he sounds like he's got some great points!

I also agree with him I'd love to see pics! I think a few forum posters have posted some pics from the middle east. It has been pretty awesome terrain to see!

wjtstudios

Hooked
I agree you are going to be really happy with the 3.6. I run an auto in my JKU and yes there are some advantages and a lot easier. But I was really impressed last weekend watching a couple of our members running manuals and how they can moderate power better than an auto could. I had to two foot it to not allow the trans to build up too much torque while crawling and not jump forward a little once it cleared.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Fury22

I agree you are going to be really happy with the 3.6. I run an auto in my JKU and yes there are some advantages and a lot easier. But I was really impressed last weekend watching a couple of our members running manuals and how they can moderate power better than an auto could. I had to two foot it to not allow the trans to build up too much torque while crawling and not jump forward a little once it cleared.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Don't know what you're talking about lol:daydream:

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That’s a good point as well, I’m still assuming a dune like terrain. Coming down a steep angle you can leave it in gear and let the engine maintain your speed instead of gaining speed going down and having to use brakes which can dig the front in and cause nose dive issues.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s a good point as well, I’m still assuming a dune like terrain. Coming down a steep angle you can leave it in gear and let the engine maintain your speed instead of gaining speed going down and having to use brakes which can dig the front in and cause nose dive issues.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Yes, you are correct

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

duktrx

No desert driving experience, but played a lot on the Oregon dunes when I was a teenager. In sand a manual transmission is more fun. I am still running 3.73 on 35's and can compensate until Dyno-Claus visits. Seroiusly considering an LS swap, but don't want to give up my manual, so I'm biased towards ultimate control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom