Stalling issues

Bear_JT

Hooked
I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue or has any ideas because I’m at a loss for where to start.

About 400 miles ago I swapped to 4.88 gears and on my 50 mile drive home I noticed it holding 3rd gear a little longer than normal to shift to 4th at about 4,500 RPM. About 100 miles ago I was in a parking lot and reversed out of the parking space and my Jeep stalled. I shifted back to park started it right up and moved on.

Today, same situation happened while reversing. I started it it back up and drove it about 20 minutes and while sitting in another parking lot idling in park it stalled out of no where. I started it back up and tried reversing to leave and the RPM’s went up but I didn’t move. I shifted to park then back to reverse and it jolted then reversed. Once in drive it stalled again. I went through the same restart method and RPM’s went up but didn’t move forward. Shifted back to park then drive and it jolted again and then rolled. I’m planning on starting with a filter and fluid change to see if that does anything.

Sorry for the long post but I’ve never had this kind of thing happen before. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Not sure that it would cause all of the issues but did you reprogram for the new gear ratio yet?
I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue or has any ideas because I’m at a loss for where to start.

About 400 miles ago I swapped to 4.88 gears and on my 50 mile drive home I noticed it holding 3rd gear a little longer than normal to shift to 4th at about 4,500 RPM. About 100 miles ago I was in a parking lot and reversed out of the parking space and my Jeep stalled. I shifted back to park started it right up and moved on.

Today, same situation happened while reversing. I started it it back up and drove it about 20 minutes and while sitting in another parking lot idling in park it stalled out of no where. I started it back up and tried reversing to leave and the RPM’s went up but I didn’t move. I shifted to park then back to reverse and it jolted then reversed. Once in drive it stalled again. I went through the same restart method and RPM’s went up but didn’t move forward. Shifted back to park then drive and it jolted again and then rolled. I’m planning on starting with a filter and fluid change to see if that does anything.

Sorry for the long post but I’ve never had this kind of thing happen before. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
Not sure that it would cause all of the issues but did you reprogram for the new gear ratio yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I did do that right after the gear swap. The only thing I noticed after that was the very noticeable change in shift point from 3rd to 4th gear at 4500 RPM.

ATF level was normal. The color is more golden than red so I figured I’d change that and the filter.

Warmed up and running when you checked it?
Take a pic of the color, check for any metallic / reflective material.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Warmed up and running when you checked it?
Take a pic of the color, check for any metallic / reflective material.

Yes, warmed up really well and running. I’ll get a pic of it in the morning and post it up.

Bear_JT

Hooked
So I just found my passenger side rear coil (on the motor) completely loose. The dealer must have not tightened it up when they replaced my oil cooler last summer. I snugged it up and going to give it a test run while I go buy a short T30 to open up the trans pan.

The engine stalling wouldn’t make the trans slamming in/out of gear like that so def not a coil issue. I think what’s happening is you aren’t getting correct pressure for the trans to engage a gear until your engine is revving higher (more pumping) or possibly clog somewhere and then once it has fluid it’s engaging the gear with a high rpm from the engine causing the jerking and the slamming. The most common cause is low fluid but you already checked that off the list. Hopefully it’s just fluid and filter for ya and you’ll be alright but definitely check the old fluid carefully for any particulates or clues hopefully you don’t have a clogged valve body.

Bear_JT

Hooked
The engine stalling wouldn’t make the trans slamming in/out of gear like that so def not a coil issue. I think what’s happening is you aren’t getting correct pressure for the trans to engage a gear until your engine is revving higher (more pumping) or possibly clog somewhere and then once it has fluid it’s engaging the gear with a high rpm from the engine causing the jerking and the slamming. The most common cause is low fluid but you already checked that off the list. Hopefully it’s just fluid and filter for ya and you’ll be alright but definitely check the old fluid carefully for any particulates or clues hopefully you don’t have a clogged valve body.

Thank you for that. Do you think the fluid issue could be causing the stall issue too? I did just replace both cam position sensors and Hopefully I can track down a Mopar filter tomorrow.

This is what the trans fluid looks like right now. IMG_2835.jpg IMG_2836.jpg

If a trans is causing the stalling it’s not a fluid problem.

Do you have any engine codes?

Bear_JT

Hooked
If a trans is causing the stalling it’s not a fluid problem.

Do you have any engine codes?

That’s what I was thinking. No no codes or check engine light. I replaced the camshaft position sensors and so far no stall but there is a slight hesitation that is obvious. I was thinking of trying the crankshaft position sensor while I’m at it.

That’s what I was thinking. No no codes or check engine light. I replaced the camshaft position sensors and so far no stall but there is a slight hesitation that is obvious. I was thinking of trying the crankshaft position sensor while I’m at it.

Does the stalling normally only happen when you first start it or after driving for a bit? I would start with a fuel pressure gauge before dumping money on random sensors.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Does the stalling normally only happen when you first start it or after driving for a bit? I would start with a fuel pressure gauge before dumping money on random sensors.

The stalling has only happened after it is warmed up and running for a while. It happens with or without the air conditioner on and only at low speeds. Like backing out of a parking space or pulling out or into a driveway or just parked and idling.

jeeeep

Hooked
The stalling has only happened after it is warmed up and running for a while. It happens with or without the air conditioner on and only at low speeds. Like backing out of a parking space or pulling out or into a driveway or just parked and idling.

thinking old school, sounds like vapor lock once it's warmed up.

Along that line of thought, I would check the Evap System Integrity Module Detector - Mopar 4861962AA

Also check the fuel pump for loose connector or corroded wiring.

Bear_JT

Hooked
thinking old school, sounds like vapor lock once it's warmed up.

Along that line of thought, I would check the Evap System Integrity Module Detector - Mopar 4861962AA

Also check the fuel pump for loose connector or corroded wiring.

Thanks. I’ll check those while I’m down there. I’m in a training all week for work so home time is just to eat and sleep.

Bear_JT

Hooked
So here’s a little update:

I pulled the transmission pan and put fresh fluid and a filter. I don’t think the filter was connected where it needed to be, because when I got the pan out the filter was sitting inside it. I know I didn’t pull it out when I pulled the pan so this may have been what was contributing to my problem. I can’t think of any reason why it would become disconnected because it’s a pretty tight fit.

There were no large pieces of metal just what I would consider normal build up on the magnet, and fluid that needed to be changed ASAP. The weird thing I found to was the bolts holding the pan on were pretty loose but there were no leaks.
IMG_2896.jpg

The other thing I did was pull the air intake tube off and clean the throttle body valve, and air intake temperature sensor. The edges of the throttle body valve had some gunk on it and the air intake temp sensor was really dirty. I ran it all day today in 95 degree temp and only noticed one time when it hesitated but never stalled (knock on wood). I’ll continue to test it tomorrow. Hopefully this solved my problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom