EVO 3” Lift with AEV Wheels - Backspacing Solutions

MORedJeep

Need some advice and sorry beforehand for the long explanation.

I installed a 3” EVO Enforcer lift, drag link flip kit with fox shocks a few weeks ago. I had 130k on my original shocks so they were toast. With the Fox shocks the new ride is firmer and I’m getting to like it. I am looking at tires, was checking clearances and noticed that i have about 1/8” between my rear sway bar end link bolt head and my current 285/70 r17 duratrac’s (not good). When I bought the AEV Pintler wheels 6 years ago I had not thought the backspacing on the rims were going to cause issues if/when I installed a lift and I love the look of the tire mostly under the fender. I now know, based on what i have read here they are 5.2 which is not the 4.5 recommender by EVO. If anyone has a solution not mentioned below please let me know. I also looked at the rock jock sway bars but they too require a4.5 wheel. I really can’t afford new wheels and tires right now.

I have search this and other forums for solutions and found the following.
1. The easy answer: 1 1/2” spacers, I don’t like this solution as I would prefer to keep the tires tucked into the wheel wells as much as possible.
2. Mounting the end links inboard (inside the sway bar with the bolt going out toward the tire) seems viable if it doesn’t rub the frame or grab the brake line. I may need to trim or buy a new shorter bolt.
3. Purchase a narrower end link. I saw a post discussing narrower end links that will add some space, anyone use this fix? How much space did it add?
4. I have read that you can remove your rear sway-bar, I prefer to avoid that.
5. What if i get adjustable end links in the back and just make them 1/2” shorter? If i shorten them they would be below the tire and I’ll have about an inch between the bolt head and the wheel. Are there any issues, other than inversion, for why couldn’t i drop the bar a half inch where it connects to the end link. Currently it is angled down a couple degrees. I will check the travel later today to be sure it won’t invert at flex and can add a limiter if it looks like it’s going too.

I prefer either option 3 if it gives me enough space or option 4 if i don’t have an inversion issue. Then even with the 315/70 r17’s they will only stick out about a 1/2” farther. I don’t think I have any other areas where rubbing is a concern but anyone with experience please comment.

61237805658__741B938B-9ACA-4A69-8017-3C533F46F3E8.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Is there a smaller spacer, like 3/4", available? I've never checked, but that could be a solution.

MericaMade

If you mount the sway on the inside it might hit the frame. I believe if you run a wheel spacer less than 1 1/2 you will have to shave down the wheel studs or they will be too long causing fitment issues. You could run a shorter link but if you go to short that causes other issues.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just run the 1.5” spacers. It really give the Jeep a solid stance with minimal impact on other parts of the Jeep. The rear shafts are the only potential issue depending on how hard you play. You might need to upgrade those to a revolution or equal chromoly shafts down the road.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MORedJeep

If you mount the sway on the inside it might hit the frame. I believe if you run a wheel spacer less than 1 1/2 you will have to shave down the wheel studs or they will be too long causing fitment issues. You could run a shorter link but if you go to short that causes other issues.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good point on the wheel spacers, i didn’t even think of that.

Other than inversion and maybe handling not as well as intended. Are there other issues it may cause?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

MORedJeep

The end-links that came with my EVO lift are 1 3/4” wide including the bolt at the joint. EVO makes their adjustable HD end-links Part Number: 1036-14.5. Those look like a much narrower profile. Is anyone running these or does anyone have the width at the end. It looks like they couldn’t be more than 3/4” wide which would give me an inch clearance.

rubiDave

I've got the 1036-13.5 end links- just not installed yet. As I recall, the heim joints are narrower than the tube and rubber bushing. I can dig mine out and measure when I get home tonight.

The end-links that came with my EVO lift are 1 3/4” wide including the bolt at the joint. EVO makes their adjustable HD end-links Part Number: 1036-14.5. Those look like a much narrower profile. Is anyone running these or does anyone have the width at the end. It looks like they couldn’t be more than 3/4” wide which would give me an inch clearance.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MORedJeep

MORedJeep

I've got the 1036-13.5 end links- just not installed yet. As I recall, the heim joints are narrower than the tube and rubber bushing. I can dig mine out and measure when I get home tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, the whim joints look much narrower in pictures and 13.5 is the size I’ll get if it works. If you could dig them up and shot me the size that would be great.

Top Bottom