Rear control arms: How much lenght to fit 40" tires?

Foley

Hi,

to fit my 40" tires I bought some adjustable rear control arms. Do you have experience with how much longer the control arms have to be? I would have put this 1 to 1 1/2 "longer.

Thanks

JKbrick

Hi,

to fit my 40" tires I bought some adjustable rear control arms. Do you have experience with how much longer the control arms have to be? I would have put this 1 to 1 1/2 "longer.

Thanks

I believe the reason for adjustable control arms is to adjust your pinion angle, not the length of your wheel base, you may run into problems with the spring hitting the track bar and other sorts of things by lengthening the wheelbase

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You need to remember that your axle travels in an arc. Just because you're running a taller lift or bigger tires doesn't change this. Depending on how much lift you're installing, you can benefit from adjusting your lower control arms out a LITTLE, as in, maybe a 1/4" or so. Your rear upper arms will dictate your pinion angle and your front upper will set caster. Adjusting your lower arms out too much will result in issues like the coils rubbing the track bar and at a full stuff, will make contact with the quarter panels.

Foley

You need to remember that your axle travels in an arc. Just because you're running a taller lift or bigger tires doesn't change this. Depending on how much lift you're installing, you can benefit from adjusting your lower control arms out a LITTLE, as in, maybe a 1/4" or so. Your rear upper arms will dictate your pinion angle and your front upper will set caster. Adjusting your lower arms out too much will result in issues like the coils rubbing the track bar and at a full stuff, will make contact with the quarter panels.

Hey Eddi,

you are right. But I cant cut to much more, so my idea was to lengthen the control arms 2-3cm (1").

e5d7a8cd-267e-481d-b551keh.jpg

72fd3df2-d2d6-42f3-bbu3jbs.jpg

Lg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's not true at all, you can still cut A LOT MORE. I have on my JK's and it's the right way to clear your tires. Again, you can push your axle back but unless you start cutting the rear, you WILL rub there instead at a full flex. ALSO, you will have issues with your rear coils bowing like crazy being that you have a 2-door AND your track bar will hang up on them.

Foley

That's not true at all, you can still cut A LOT MORE. I have on my JK's and it's the right way to clear your tires. Again, you can push your axle back but unless you start cutting the rear, you WILL rub there instead at a full flex. ALSO, you will have issues with your rear coils bowing like crazy being that you have a 2-door AND your track bar will hang up on them.

Okay. To me it looks like there are some spot welds. If I cut to much, it will split? Maybe you have a foto for me how much you have cut? You have done this a before, so I trust you. There isn't much knowledge with 40" where I life.

Thats how much I had cut to fit the 37"

img_20170408_13442602kru.jpg

Lg

Last edited:
Top Bottom