JK electrical gremlins

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
My 08 JKU has been developing a weird electrical problem that I have been scratching my head over. Randomly the windshield wipers will cycle 1 or 2 times, the dash warning lights all flash like when you first start the engine, and the audible chime sounds all at the same time. I haven’t been able to narrow down a specific condition that causes it to happen. Have checked battery, battery terminals, engine and body grounds. The clock spring was also recently replaced under warranty. Has anyone had any experience with issues similar to this?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
My 08 JKU has been developing a weird electrical problem that I have been scratching my head over. Randomly the windshield wipers will cycle 1 or 2 times, the dash warning lights all flash like when you first start the engine, and the audible chime sounds all at the same time. I haven’t been able to narrow down a specific condition that causes it to happen. Have checked battery, battery terminals, engine and body grounds. The clock spring was also recently replaced under warranty. Has anyone had any experience with issues similar to this?

Clock spring could be faulty again also could be the wiper multifunction switch or the cruise control multifunction switch.

if you have cruise control, does it fail to activate or de-activate after a short distance?

Have you used a ODBC scanner to check for error codes?

You can also use this method to check for error codes:

Insert Ignition Key
Turn vehicle On-Off-On-Off-On
Codes will be shown on the Odometer screen

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Clock spring could be faulty again also could be the wiper multifunction switch or the cruise control multifunction switch.

if you have cruise control, does it fail to activate or de-activate after a short distance?

Have you used a ODBC scanner to check for error codes?

You can also use this method to check for error codes:

Insert Ignition Key
Turn vehicle On-Off-On-Off-On
Codes will be shown on the Odometer screen

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing a code a while back something about communication with radio. I have an aftermarket deck in it so I wasn’t too concerned about that code. It has been a while, but I will probably scan it in the morning to see if that is still active.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Update- I have 2 communication codes

U0155- lost communication with instrument panel control module

U0184- lost communication with radio

It does have an aftermarket deck in it, and has since I have owned it. The problem just recently started, and seems like it is slowly progressing. Hopefully it’s just a bad connection in a shared plug or something like that. Does anyone know where this control module is located?

JKbrick

Ouch. Hopefully that’s not it. I could think of so many other things I would like to spend $1200 on.

I took mine first to a guy that was supposed to be good, $400 and months later I got it back and took it to the dealer, then it was $1200 but only a couple weeks. My wipers were stuck on, dash was dead, lights stuck on, no turn signals, and various other things

jkwaterdog

THIS!! Yup. Have had about all of these on my 08 JK. Following are a few things ive done in a effort to fix.
Issue:
Wiper issue where they turn on mysteriously/ hi speed wiper does not work also had the odd display light show.

I replaced the relays on the TIPM. Thought this fixed it. But the issue came back a after some time. Was a PIA only recommend if you are comfortable with circuit boards and soldering and have lots of patients.

Open the wiper motor assembly, clean up the extra grease on the wiper assembly contacts( only takes about 20 minutes, this too fixed the wiper issue. But again it came back at a later time)

Clean the contacts within the steering column. Specifically the blinker and wiper control unit connections (this also provided a temp fix). Only took about 20-30 minutes.

Added a additional ground strap from the battery neg terminal to chassis point). Didnt fix the issue but i left it there.

Opened and cleaned as many connection points i could find. Didnt fix the wiper issue

Seems the issue has to do with a very sensitive/ low tolerance voltage or resistance setting ( just my guess). I haven’t found the Golden egg yet. Im still searching. My wipers are currently effected. So i pulled the relay from the fuse box. Prob solved:). Not a issue as it doesn’t rain much in So Ca.

Good luck in your search. Post up anything you find that provides a fix. -M

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JKbrick

THIS!! Yup. Have had about all of these on my 08 JK. Following are a few things ive done in a effort to fix.
Issue:
Wiper issue where they turn on mysteriously/ hi speed wiper does not work also had the odd display light show.

I replaced the relays on the TIPM. Thought this fixed it. But the issue came back a after some time. Was a PIA only recommend if you are comfortable with circuit boards and soldering and have lots of patients.

Open the wiper motor assembly, clean up the extra grease on the wiper assembly contacts( only takes about 20 minutes, this too fixed the wiper issue. But again it came back at a later time)

Clean the contacts within the steering column. Specifically the blinker and wiper control unit connections (this also provided a temp fix). Only took about 20-30 minutes.

Added a additional ground strap from the battery neg terminal to chassis point). Didnt fix the issue but i left it there.

Opened and cleaned as many connection points i could find. Didnt fix the wiper issue

Seems the issue has to do with a very sensitive/ low tolerance voltage or resistance setting ( just my guess). I haven’t found the Golden egg yet. Im still searching. My wipers are currently effected. So i pulled the relay from the fuse box. Prob solved:). Not a issue as it doesn’t rain much in So Ca.

Good luck in your search. Post up anything you find that provides a fix. -M

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I sent my tipm to MAK’s and they rebuilt it but it did not fix my issues

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
ok, I know this is going to sound off the wall but something similar happened to me. So, the other day I was driving down the road and it started to rain here in Tucson and my Jeep started to act up electrically. So, that night I propped my hood and started my Jeep and started to spray the engine with water from a spray bottle. Holy Crap, my brand new spark plug wires from Livewires were arcing all over the place from the middle of the wires. One area of major concern was off of Spark Plug wires 1,3 and 5 by the Ignition coil arcing to the two main wiring harnesses that sit to the back driver side of the ignition coil. It look like a mad scientist laboratory. After everything dried up, I checked it again and you could still see some smaller arcs.

So, two points to take way, 1) Check your Spark plug wires at night in the dark, 2) stick with OEM plug wires and Ignition coil.

Performance distributors can kiss my butt, I bought there Screaming Demon Ignition Coil with Livewires to replace my bad Ignition coil (it went bad at 160k miles). I had to warranty the wires out once because they literally disintegrated after a year and just put this set in about a week ago. I returned them for a full return and bought all OEM.

Attachments

• 3EEC1AD5-4AF3-46BF-9C3E-C1A10D4CB0B1.jpg
    3EEC1AD5-4AF3-46BF-9C3E-C1A10D4CB0B1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 38
  • D66C3F49-F652-4A97-A97D-C514224E9246.jpg
    D66C3F49-F652-4A97-A97D-C514224E9246.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom