Intermittent Power Steering

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Greetings,

Could use some insight. '15 JKU Rubi. 33" tires.

My wife told me the steering was binding up on her today, seemed to always happen when she'd come to a stop.

When she got home, I took it for a test drive. It's basically acting as if the power steering is intermittently turning on/off. It does seem to be triggered more often, but not solely, when taking foot off gas to slow down. It'll happen just turning into a curve. Once you watch for it, you can detect it going straight as well. Speed independent. Happens at 25 as readily as at 45.

It literally is like a light switch. One moment you have normal power steering, then 15 seconds later it disappears for a few seconds, then suddenly comes back. Checked power steering fluid. It's never leaked and reservoir's full.

I should mention...this is absolutely silent. No clicking, hissing, knocking...just there one moment, gone the next, 2-3 times/minute.

I've no clue what might cause this. I'm thinking a control/valve mechanism of some sort, but no clue.

Thoughts?

JT...

Last edited:

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
This ^^^
You can do a power steering pressure test but not sure if the gauge is available for free rent.
Sounds like the pump took a shit. Only working pressure at high RPM.
My suspicion as well...Will advise once I figure it out.

In the interest of closing the loop. For sake of expediency, getting ready for a road trip 4 days hence, put it in the shop. Problem was not reproducible. Ugh. That said, since we've had it back, including 1,350 miles last weekend, it has not reproduced.

Experience has generally shown that, if it happens once, it'll happen again. Considered just having the pump replaced as a preventative measure. OEM via RockAuto is $140. Shop wanted just over $300 for the pump, another $300 to install. Thanks, but no thanks.

While in, did get both idler pulleys and the serpentine belt replaced. At 90,000 miles, it was time to take care of those items anyway.

:)

You can pickup a power steering pump from any auto store if it shits out, bring a few tools with ya on your trip you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom