4H to 4L issue

KRob

Hello,

New to this forum so if this issue has been posted already, could someone please send me to the right thread? Anyways, I just bought my very first Jeep ever 2 weeks ago which was a 2019 Unlimited Rubicon(automatic). I took her off pavement for the first time yesterday to explore Rowher flats, which is just east and a bit north of Santa Clarita, CA. I was having no issues with going into and out of 4H from 2H, although I did have to pull the shifter harder than I thought I would. The issue was going in and out of 4L. Most times when I did, the transfer gears grinded before going into 4L or going back into 4H from 4L. I felt like I was doing everything correct - was in 4H, shifted the transmission into neutral, was moving about 2-4mph and pulled the transfer lever firmly down into 4L(or back into 4H) - but the grinding happened more than once. The couple of times it didn't happen was when I was on a slight down slope and I just put her in neutral and after I just started to roll, it shifted effortlessly into 4L. I read that this was common problem(hard transfer) and that it would loosen up the more I use it. My concern is that I'm gonna mess up the transfer case. Is this a common problem with the new JL's?

Thank you!

Ddays

Hooked
Hello,

New to this forum so if this issue has been posted already, could someone please send me to the right thread? Anyways, I just bought my very first Jeep ever 2 weeks ago which was a 2019 Unlimited Rubicon(automatic). I took her off pavement for the first time yesterday to explore Rowher flats, which is just east and a bit north of Santa Clarita, CA. I was having no issues with going into and out of 4H from 2H, although I did have to pull the shifter harder than I thought I would. The issue was going in and out of 4L. Most times when I did, the transfer gears grinded before going into 4L or going back into 4H from 4L. I felt like I was doing everything correct - was in 4H, shifted the transmission into neutral, was moving about 2-4mph and pulled the transfer lever firmly down into 4L(or back into 4H) - but the grinding happened more than once. The couple of times it didn't happen was when I was on a slight down slope and I just put her in neutral and after I just started to roll, it shifted effortlessly into 4L. I read that this was common problem(hard transfer) and that it would loosen up the more I use it. My concern is that I'm gonna mess up the transfer case. Is this a common problem with the new JL's?

Thank you!

Yes, this is completely normal, especially the shift from 4H to 4L. The more you use it the more it'll loosen up as everything gets broken in.

jdofmemi

Yep, that's normal. With practice you will get a better feel for it as well.

Coasting in neutral, just barely moving, and make a quick firm movement on the shifter.
It will always gnash a little bit, but it won't hurt anything, as long as you don't just keep grinding away without getting it in.

KRob

Thanks for the replies. It does comfort me when people tell me it’s normal. But it still is unnerving every time it makes that sound. I mean I’ve heard that noise before and was pretty sure what it was but it’s different when it’s was someone else’s rig lol!

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello,

Thank you!

When in neutral, I come to almost a complete stop then shift into 4L, once you get the rhythm it shifts like you described on a slight down slope.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Good info! I followed jeeps guidelines a few times and was a little freaked out by the chattering gears... So i started only switching while stopped. If it doesn't drop right into or out of 4L then drive or reverse a few inches and try again. But from this feedback I'll probably bang the gears (in line with jeeps 2-4mph recommendation).

Bierpower

Hooked
Just wanted to add to this, I don't have a JL. Most wheel speed sensors don't have a fast enough pulse to register until around 3-4mph so if your speedometer is up off of 0 your probably going to fast. I find the sweet spot is when the speedo needle drops to nothing but you are still rolling. I did shift from low to high once this past weekend while the speedo was registering and it made a horrendous noise. Just my findings in trial and error.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

KRob

Good info! I followed jeeps guidelines a few times and was a little freaked out by the chattering gears... So i started only switching while stopped. If it doesn't drop right into or out of 4L then drive or reverse a few inches and try again. But from this feedback I'll probably bang the gears (in line with jeeps 2-4mph recommendation).

I was back out on a trail yesterday and I switched into 4L when I was completely stopped. It shifted perfectly with zero grinding or clunking every single time(probably went in and out of 4L about 5-6 times). It was very fluid and effortless. And yes, if the gears aren't lining up, then just move a bit and it'll drop into or out of 4L. I will be going with this method from now on so I don't have to hear that awful noise anymore. Or at least until the gears loosen a bit and I get more comfortable with my rig.

Last edited:

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I was back out on a trail yesterday and I switched into 4L when I was completely stopped. It shifted perfectly with zero grinding or clunking. It was very fluid and effortless. Anyone know why Jeep tells you to be moving when shifting into or out of 4L?

Gears may have just been lined up. Supposed to be in a slight roll to give the gears a chance to mesh together.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Gears may have just been lined up. Supposed to be in a slight roll to give the gears a chance to mesh together.

^ that. Slow roll is the best way to do it, you’ll find out when you go to put it in and it just won’t go.

14ACES

I installed the Advance Adapters transfer case shift cable for the jk. My jku now shifts with barely any effort.

Top Bottom