Rear diff skid

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Someone is selling a metal cloak rear diff skid locally and was wondering if anyone runs any of these in general. I've never experienced any issues hitting my diff but is it good insurance or more of a problem? Screenshot_20200630-192625_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wjtstudios

Hooked
Someone is selling a metal cloak rear diff skid locally and was wondering if anyone runs any of these in general. I've never experienced any issues hitting my diff but is it good insurance or more of a problem? View attachment 349688

I ran the AEV version of it. It does protect the lip of the diff cover from grabbing and causing a leak. If you have an aftermarket cover, you probably don’t need it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I ran the AEV version of it. It does protect the lip of the diff cover from grabbing and causing a leak. If you have an aftermarket cover, you probably don’t need it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
Okay. I do have the ARB cover back there

TheGrendel

People are running on them on JLs because Dana moved the diff drain plug to the very bottom of the axle where it gets smashed on rocks.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have the AEV version on my JK. The AEV sticks forward a bit, protecting the u joint at the pinion. I got it after I’d chewed up that part of my driveshaft on some rocks, requiring a DS rebuilt. The skid also helps the diff to slide over stuff a bit more easily, but that alone wouldn’t have motivated me to buy it. I guess the main reason to have one on a JL is to protect the vulnerable drain plug on the bottom of the diff.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Slimebones

I have the AEV version on my JK. The AEV sticks forward a bit, protecting the u joint at the pinion. I got it after I’d chewed up that part of my driveshaft on some rocks, requiring a DS rebuilt. The skid also helps the diff to slide over stuff a bit more easily, but that alone wouldn’t have motivated me to buy it. I guess the main reason to have one on a JL is to protect the vulnerable drain plug on the bottom of the diff.

Can you provide a part number for that skid? I like the idea of protection of the driveshaft ujoint. I actually tagged mine on a rock last year, and would like to not go through that drama again.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Yes that’s it. Pretty pricy but Jeep stuff usually is.

I think Rough Country has a similar product that’s cheaper. I bought the AEV before I had discovered it.

The Rough County version bolts onto the diff and you have to use the stock cover it seems.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Found this pic on my phone. This is the AEV skid on a JK. You can see how it shields the u joint, although the driveshaft can still get thrashed. IMG_4076.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
I like that idea... I've been known to tear up a ledge or two with my yolk. [emoji848]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yeah I did that and had to have my DS rebuilt. Then I got the skid.

Lately I’ve been feeling a small vibration again. I think it hit it on Mousetrap, which is where this pic was taken. May have to take it in again. [emoji21]

Top Bottom