I need help and advice......

Heholua

Hey Wayalifers,

As the title says, I need some help and advice.

Two weeks ago, our 2019 JLUR with 7200 miles took a shit on the Interstate on our way out of town. We felt a thump in the engine compartment followed by a huge loss of power and could barely get it off the freeway. Codes that came up that day were P0345 and P0306. We had it towed to the dealer and have been waiting for a diagnosis.

Service advisor called today saying we had a faulty cam shaft in our engine and cylinder 6 has misfired over 700 times.

vmacocsoak_2362259124761-1-IMG_6686 (002).jpg

IMG_6685 (002).jpg

My question is, what other damage could have happened to the engine? Will this problem shorten the life of this engine?

Thanks in advance for the help.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Oof! I’m guessing that they are replacing the entire head and inspecting the tops of the pistons at a minimum. Probably not much risk of anything else. Make sure they change to oil.

Hey Wayalifers,

As the title says, I need some help and advice.

Two weeks ago, our 2019 JLUR with 7200 miles took a shit on the Interstate on our way out of town. We felt a thump in the engine compartment followed by a huge loss of power and could barely get it off the freeway. Codes that came up that day were P0345 and P0306. We had it towed to the dealer and have been waiting for a diagnosis.

Service advisor called today saying we had a faulty cam shaft in our engine and cylinder 6 has misfired over 700 times.

View attachment 349703

View attachment 349704

My question is, what other damage could have happened to the engine? Will this problem shorten the life of this engine?

Thanks in advance for the help.

This sounds exactly what happened to another guy on a post here, it was super new and it misfired he took it in, they replaced the head and camshafts, then that didnt work and they replaced the entire engine in it. I dont remember the title of the thread but im sure you can find it, wasnt too long ago. Might be worth shooting him a message

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Did they tell you why the cam was “faulty”?700 misfires isn’t all that much given an actual problem. That number could have been 1500. 306 is cam pos sensor. Need to get some wave forms

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Heholua

This sounds exactly what happened to another guy on a post here, it was super new and it misfired he took it in, they replaced the head and camshafts, then that didnt work and they replaced the entire engine in it. I dont remember the title of the thread but im sure you can find it, wasnt too long ago. Might be worth shooting him a message
Thanks, I'll search around for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heholua

Oof! I’m guessing that they are replacing the entire head and inspecting the tops of the pistons at a minimum. Probably not much risk of anything else. Make sure they change to oil.
They said they are ordering parts, I hope the tech knows what they're doing. Will do.

Ddays

Hooked
Agreed. This event happened on a Saturday and the dealership didn't get to it until Monday. The codes were stored and they had a difficult time replicating what happened.

With a broken cam shaft how the hell did they have a difficult time replicating what happened? :thinking:

I never realized they only machine the lobe portion on these camshafts.

Heholua

With a broken cam shaft how the hell did they have a difficult time replicating what happened? :thinking:

I never realized they only machine the lobe portion on these camshafts.
That was my thought also, but the problem eventually presented itself.

Might make it a little tougher to see the fracture mine supposedly has.

Top Bottom