4 banger vs 4.0L

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’ve been doing a ton of looking for a new to me Jeep. Ive seen more 4 bangers for a decent price, I know they are less desirable and less power. Overall I just want to know if they are an okay engine and see if anyone has experience with it. I’m not planning to go big with this Jeep.

Jsouder53

Hooked
This is the one I’m looking at for reference
IMG_6489.jpg (the black one)

I should also note... I’ve been seeing 4.0L TJs and YJs for roughly $6,000-$7,500 and this 2.5L for $4,500.

Last edited:
Not unless you plan to leave tiny tires on or v8 swap, or trailer it everywhere. They’re actually better for v8 swap than the 4.0 because the frames are different and all the easy kit parts are for the 4cyl frame mounts. They’re just not a very drivable engine, maybe as just a toy, maybe.

Also look at trans options autos are 3 spd no over drive vs the 5 speed manual.(until the last couple of years)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Also if you’re tj shopping check every INCH for rust. It gets out of hand quick. IMG_7296.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Extra attention to skid plate mount and rear arm mounts (especially the uppers) body mount channels from front to rear fender and the rear like 10” of the frame to the bumper mount.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Not unless you plan to leave tiny tires on or v8 swap, or trailer it everywhere. They’re actually better for v8 swap than the 4.0 because the frames are different and all the easy kit parts are for the 4cyl frame mounts. They’re just not a very drivable engine, maybe as just a toy, maybe.

Also look at trans options autos are 3 spd no over drive vs the 5 speed manual.(until the last couple of years)

Also if you’re tj shopping check every INCH for rust. It gets out of hand quick. View attachment 349853
View attachment 349854

Extra attention to skid plate mount and rear arm mounts (especially the uppers) body mount channels from front to rear fender and the rear like 10” of the frame to the bumper mount.

I appreciate it! I assumed there wouldn’t be much power, so I’m glad you mentioned how little power they actually have. I will certainly look every inch over for rust.

I actually just came across an LS TJ for a descent price a couple minutes ago. So that might be the direction I’m going [emoji16] we shall see.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Another option for these is a Golen 4.6 stroker. We’ve installed these before and I like it a lot. A lot cheaper than the V8 swap.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That would be super cool. The good thing about the Jeep I found and will hopefully be going with is it already has the 5.3 swapped in.

Is there anything I should keep my eye open for that might be an issue with an already swapped v8?

That would be super cool. The good thing about the Jeep I found and will hopefully be going with is it already has the 5.3 swapped in.

Is there anything I should keep my eye open for that might be an issue with an already swapped v8?

Hack wiring, overheating.

J&k_Overland

I’ve owned both 4 and 6 cylinder versions. Currently own a 6 banger TJ. You can gear them low enough to run big tires and enjoy the Jeep. A plus to keeping a 6 or 4 with big tires etc is it’s less likely to blow up axles and transmissions. The stock axles are not gonna like that big V8 for very long.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’ve owned both 4 and 6 cylinder versions. Currently own a 6 banger TJ. You can gear them low enough to run big tires and enjoy the Jeep. A plus to keeping a 6 or 4 with big tires etc is it’s less likely to blow up axles and transmissions. The stock axles are not gonna like that big V8 for very long.

Thanks for the input! If I end up with the v8, I’d definitely be looking at axles eventually.

Exodus 4x4

There’s tons to look for, but as mentioned the wiring and hose plumbing should be looked at hard. Motor mount welds and drive line angles too.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’d go take a bunch of pictures of it and then post them up. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of answers to the what if questions.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jsouder53

Hooked
There’s tons to look for, but as mentioned the wiring and hose plumbing should be looked at hard. Motor mount welds and drive line angles too.

In the picture of the engine it looks pretty descent to me. I’ll have to see about the driveline angles when I go look at it eventually.

I’d go take a bunch of pictures of it and then post them up. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of answers to the what if questions.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Unfortunately it’s 5-6 hours away and I won’t be able to meet up with the guy till the beginning of August since our schedules aren’t working to line up. So I have to go off of the pictures he sends me. I’ll post them up

Jsouder53

Hooked
I found out it has an 8.8 rear with limited slip with a D30 front and it has the 4l60e transmission.

-for the most part I feel it just needs some cosmetic TLC

Last edited:

Kuboske

8.8 is a good low cost upgrade. Should handle what that 5.3 gives it. 4L60E, likewise good. That D30, will be the weak link. Also, what t'case upgrades, if any? My trail YJ has the NP, but with full JB Conversions upgrades. (Super short SYE, 6 pinion planetary, wide chain kit.).

Pay close attention to the rear body mounts and tailgate hinges they get rusty and people try to cover with armor skins. 8.8 is the ford equivalent to Dana 44, it’s stout and cheap and common swap bc tj resell market think 44s are worthy many hundreds of first born children. And the 8.8 out of an explorer in a junk yard comes with lsd disc brakes and is almost exact width

Jsouder53

Hooked
8.8 is a good low cost upgrade. Should handle what that 5.3 gives it. 4L60E, likewise good. That D30, will be the weak link. Also, what t'case upgrades, if any? My trail YJ has the NP, but with full JB Conversions upgrades. (Super short SYE, 6 pinion planetary, wide chain kit.).

I have a D30 on my JK as well, but I don’t go too hard on it and it’s held up fine. I know it will eventually be swapped out, as I know the same goes with the one on this TJ.

I’ll ask about the TCase, never even crossed my mind.

Pay close attention to the rear body mounts and tailgate hinges they get rusty and people try to cover with armor skins. 8.8 is the ford equivalent to Dana 44, it’s stout and cheap and common swap bc tj resell market think 44s are worthy many hundreds of first born children. And the 8.8 out of an explorer in a junk yard comes with lsd disc brakes and is almost exact width

I’ll look closely to that. By the pictures, I don’t see too much of a rust issue. I know in person it could be completely different.

There’s also a c clip eliminator kit for the 8.8 so if it does break it won’t walk out on ya.

I’ll look into that, thanks [emoji106]

Top Bottom