Hello,
I have lifted 2012 JK Sport (2dr) with below mods:

- EVO Jeep Wrangler 07-17 Enforcer Pro King Racing Suspension
- EVO JK Draglink Flip Kit
- EVO Mfg C2 Axle Gussets
- Ring/Pinion for D30 F 4.56
- Ring/Pinion for D44 R 4.56
- Tires 37x13.5 R17

I am thinking to upgrade the engine to LS3 with Auto transmission. Do I need to upgrade differential axels as well or stock will be fine?

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Others will chime in, but I believe the additional HP and torque warrants the upgraded axles or you’ll start braking shafts and U Joint if you take it on the rocks.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Exodus 4x4

You should start with larger axles and then do a V8 swap. I’d also recommend you try meeting up with a few people that have done both LS and Hemi conversions, and ask them if you can drive them. Talk to them about their experiences with the conversion and also take a hard look at the install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Definitely axles first.

The D-30 in front will break even without playing on rocks. It just won't hold up to the torque.

The rear is not as weak, but still won't last long behind a V-8

iM7md

Others will chime in, but I believe the additional HP and torque warrants the upgraded axles or you’ll start braking shafts and U Joint if you take it on the rocks.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

You should start with larger axles and then do a V8 swap. I’d also recommend you try meeting up with a few people that have done both LS and Hemi conversions, and ask them if you can drive them. Talk to them about their experiences with the conversion and also take a hard look at the install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Definitely axles first.

The D-30 in front will break even without playing on rocks. It just won't hold up to the torque.

The rear is not as weak, but still won't last long behind a V-8

Thanks for your kind reply. What are the recommended axles for front & rear?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Fusion 4x4 or dynatrac FF60/60 or FF60/80 or what I run which is a Fusion 4x4 FF60 front and shaved 14 bolt rear. The larger ring and pinion will be your friend.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

iM7md

Hello again,
I have done a research about getting dynatrac FF60/60 or FF60/80, unfortunately the cost is way too expensive due to overseas shipping and VAT.
It would cost about 30K USD

I would like to get your opinion on getting 44/44 or 44/60 for 2dr JK LS3 6.2L swap?

Please share your thoughts

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hello again,
I have done a research about getting dynatrac FF60/60 or FF60/80, unfortunately the cost is way too expensive due to overseas shipping and VAT.
It would cost about 30K USD

I would like to get your opinion on getting 44/44 or 44/60 for 2dr JK LS3 6.2L swap?

Please share your thoughts

The cost of the SF44/60 and the FF60/60 is not that extreme and you get to the full float axle which is one of the reasons you want to upgrade your axles. If you weren’t putting a V8 in and just wanted to run 37s the 44/60 would be an option in my opinion.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Masjkf84

Caught the Bug
I have the 44/60 combo and it’s worked well for me running 37s.

Admittedly the last time my Jeep saw dirt was 4 years ago... there’s some bumpy roads on my way to work though!

iM7md

The cost of the SF44/60 and the FF60/60 is not that extreme and you get to the full float axle which is one of the reasons you want to upgrade your axles. If you weren’t putting a V8 in and just wanted to run 37s the 44/60 would be an option in my opinion.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

My main goal is to do LS3 swap, it came to my attention stock axles won't survive the new power gain, for this reason, I am thinking to upgrade axels to 44/60. Will 44/60 axles work fine with LS3?

current mods:
EVO Jeep Wrangler 07-17 Enforcer Pro King Racing Suspension System
King Front 2.0 Bump Stops
Rugged Ridge Driveshaft (Front & Rear)
AOR Front Lower Adjustable Flex Arms
AOR Rear Upper Adjustable Flex Arms
Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer
Rancho Long Travel Exhaust Spacer
Titan 1.5” Wheel Spacer
37 x 13.50 x 17

Last edited:

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
44/60 gear ratio is:
4.88, 5.13 or 5.38

what would be suitable for 6.2L LS3 w/ 37s tires?

It seems like you’re not taking anyone’s axle upgrade recommendations seriously.. so I’ll just add my 2 cents... if you’re not gonna go 60s front and rear, I’d recommend 4.88 with the LS3 swap so you have the biggest pinion possible. Take it with a grain of salt as I have no experience with this setup (or any engine swap for that matter), but just basing it on what I’ve gathered over my very few years learning here from other people’s builds.

Edit:I’m also fairly intoxicated... so there that as well. Good luck. 🤙🏽

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
44/60 gear ratio is:
4.88, 5.13 or 5.38

It’s as much about the Full Float axle shaft and hub design to handle the upgrade in torque as it is about the larger ring and pinion. Just my two cents. If you snap a axle shaft on the trail, your toast. If you end up going the SF44/60route, buy an extra set of shafts for the rear.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

44/60 gear ratio is:
4.88, 5.13 or 5.38

A lot depends on how you drive it. The 44/60 could last, and if you are not going over 37s, you may be OK.

I would go 4.88 to run 37s with that 6.2L engine.
It's not really the right gear for the stock engine, and I just installed a 60/60 set with 4.88 and 37s and a stock 3.6 engine.

If you hammer it, you will bend rear shafts, and break front axle shafts.
If you drive with your head instead of your right foot, it could do you well.

TheGrendel

the problem with SF60 is that people still bend the shafts. now, Dynatrac has come out with what they call the profloat which is still a semifloat but the shafts are redesigned to be resist deflection much more than the standard 60 shafts.

not sure what they are charging but from the rumors i've seen, you might as well just add a bit more and get FF front and rear.

if you are dead set on the v8 swap, i'd baby the D44 axles until you can afford to upgrade properly rather than spend money and realize its still not enough for your needs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom