Stitch is Going Vertical

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Time for Stitch to get a lift. Put it off for a number of years. Functionally, didn't really need it. Only 3x have I ever really been in a situation where it would've been particularly useful. Always thought a lifted JK looked good.

However, continuing to upgrade Stitch, the weight's been adding on. Whether it's just swapping out stamped steel diff covers for nodular iron, steel bumpers, winch, or armor, or beefier lower control arms, or... Stitch ended up tickling the scales (empty, but w/full tank gas) in May at 5,450 lbs.

Last two road trips, swung by the scale to measure loaded road-weight. Came in at 6,450. We've worked hard at trimming our camping kit (knocked out about 140 lbs). Even so, with a payload capacity of 1,385lbs, there's no way you can trim enough weight. 1,000lbs given up just to upgrades. My wife, me, gear, fridge, and 240# of dogs, we're way overweight.

After our trip north to explore Michigan's UP back country in May, discussion of a lift became very much front-of-mind. With that much weight, riding on an EVO leveling kit, even taking it easy it was too easy to bottom out. I started getting concerned about breaking an axle or... Fully loaded, if we weren't on pretty level ground, I wouldn't be able to stand on the rear tire, wedging foot between fender and tire, to unload roof rack.

So, while told to expect a 6-8 week lead time, ordered a Metalcloak lift kit 22 June. Here we are, not quite 3 weeks later, and it shipped today. Should arrive by Thursday. Not bad.

Doing a lot of work on Stitch. Since the May weights, have put on a roof rack (100lbs) and now comes the kit 188lbs, an interior package 90 lbs, LOD rear bumper 75 (accounting for removal existing steel bump), larger tires/wheels, ProGrip kit, plus misc. (ProGrip's a -heavy- kit. Came in 2 60lb boxes.)

Stitch is going to wallow onto the truck scales next time. All-told, including armor, winch, other upgrades, Stitch will be at least 1,500 heavier than stock when done. Added axle upgrades will be next. Need 'something' to upgrade next season, I guess.

So, looking forward to having everything arrive. Going to be a busy end-of-July. Going to investigate installing the Wood's shafts this weekend. Trying to install what I can, as it arrives, to spread the job out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom