3.6 Intermittent loss of power with NO codes

Ny in az

Have a 12 Jeep sport unlimited with 120k miles and recently had TOB and clutch replaced with OEM parts. After about a month I’m getting a momentary loss of power with no codes. My mechanic and myself even drove it and was recording data when it happened but no codes. Even happened while driving home with the cruise on in 6th gear and the cruise never kicked off and the tach never moved from 3k At a complete loss as to what it can be!!!
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thx

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Have a 12 Jeep sport unlimited with 120k miles and recently had TOB and clutch replaced with OEM parts. After about a month I’m getting a momentary loss of power with no codes. My mechanic and myself even drove it and was recording data when it happened but no codes. Even happened while driving home with the cruise on in 6th gear and the cruise never kicked off and the tach never moved from 3k At a complete loss as to what it can be!!!
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thx

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hard to tell without driving it but the lose of power would be either fuel or ignition related. Could need plugs and wires or it’s fuel related from a fuel pump or injectors.

I personally would start with replacing the plugs and wires with stock parts as it’s prob the cheapest and easiest route to take and is part of reg maint.

If it’s momentary directly after a clutch job I’d be looking at the crank sensor. Never hurts to grab a fuel pressure gauge and verify that as well if you’re concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ny in az

If it’s momentary directly after a clutch job I’d be looking at the crank sensor. Never hurts to grab a fuel pressure gauge and verify that as well if you’re concerned.

You were right after a lot of investigation we found the sensor dropping off so I replaced it and running as good as new. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

This seems to be happening a lot lately. Crankshaft position sensor was my culprit as well lately at around 92k miles. Mine has been flawless for 400-500 miles since changing that sensor.

jmayps

I’ve been having the same or similar issue on my 2013 JK. At lower RPMs the Jeep will stutter. RPMs stay the same, volts drop from 14.2 down to 12.2 for a couple seconds, then everything goes back to normal. Feels like the power just cuts out for a second. Think it could be the same issue? Crankshaft sensor?

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I’ve been having the same or similar issue on my 2013 JK. At lower RPMs the Jeep will stutter. RPMs stay the same, volts drop from 14.2 down to 12.2 for a couple seconds, then everything goes back to normal. Feels like the power just cuts out for a second. Think it could be the same issue? Crankshaft sensor?

I'm not a professional mechanic but this sounds more like a loose wire or charging system issue. I'd tighten the electrical connections down on the battery and alternator first. Then test battery and alternator if that doesn't fix it.

USMC Wrangler

For a very accessible sensor that only cost $20, it was worth the shot to me. I had a stutter and then several stalls coming to a stop, in my automatic. No codes, stored or otherwise.

When I unplugged the connector to the old sensor it was full of engine oil as if it leaked into the body of the sensor. Bubba’s shop had an identical one a couple weeks ago that was full of engine oil.

I’ve had zero issues in about 500 miles now since installing the new sensor.

PS - I’m not a mechanic either. Just reporting what has worked for me. It is absolutely great idea to check your battery terminals. Those have caused many to have weird hiccups when even slightly loose.

Last edited:

jmayps

I'm not a professional mechanic but this sounds more like a loose wire or charging system issue. I'd tighten the electrical connections down on the battery and alternator first. Then test battery and alternator if that doesn't fix it.

Sounds good, I’ll give that a shot and see if that fixes it.

Sounds good, I’ll give that a shot and see if that fixes it.

I agree that sounds like charging system if you don’t have any misfire codes. Possibly a bad voltage rectifier / regulator (the back side of the alternator) intermittently failing. Intermittent problems are the worst.

Top Bottom