Metal Flakes in Oil Filter

MORedJeep

Last night I changed the oil in my 2014 JK with 133,000 miles on it. I’ve been having a ticking for a month now that was faint at first but is progressively getting louder.

Based on what i have read and where it is coming from I believe it is a driver side rocker that has a bad needle bearing.

This afternoon I looked at the filter to check for metal and sure enough, some small metal flakes on the filter pleats. I assume they are from the cam which is expected due to my dumb#$$ procrastinating.

My questions:

Assuming the metal is from the cam lobe and has only been present for a month, would the presence of metal in the engine cause other engine failures?

Should I have the service tech drop the oil pan to clean out any other metal shavings and/or test the oil pump (I’ve never gotten a low pressure code)?

I use full synthetic Castrol and never go over 5000 miles between changes.

I made an appointment at the dealer last week and I am dropping it off tomorrow but I want to be prepared for their questions.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Last night I changed the oil in my 2014 JK with 133,000 miles on it. I’ve been having a ticking for a month now that was faint at first but is progressively getting louder.

Based on what i have read and where it is coming from I believe it is a driver side rocker that has a bad needle bearing.

This afternoon I looked at the filter to check for metal and sure enough, some small metal flakes on the filter pleats. I assume they are from the cam which is expected due to my dumb#$$ procrastinating.

My questions:

Assuming the metal is from the cam lobe and has only been present for a month, would the presence of metal in the engine cause other engine failures?

Should I have the service tech drop the oil pan to clean out any other metal shavings and/or test the oil pump (I’ve never gotten a low pressure code)?

I made an appointment at the dealer last week and I am dropping it off tomorrow but I want to be prepared for their questions.

It never hurts to have them drop the pan and clean everything out real good for you while they are in there. Would get any slug out that may be there as well. If they are in there then replacing the oil pump is a good idea as well. Better to do it while they have it opened up then later down the line.

Slimebones

My questions:

Metal "flakes" is obviously a bad omen. Need to tear down and do close inspection of parts as soon as possible. If not blowin oil and no loud knocks, you might be able to avoid major issues. If you have "flakes" in the oil, something has already failed.

Oil filters are quite good at catching the bad shit from moving on, depending on how much you have, no pic?? , its a fix the problem - drop the pan clean it out - clean the oil pump - new oil, check the filter in another 500 miles or so. If its a lot of metal, time to go deeper.

MORedJeep

Oil filters are quite good at catching the bad shit from moving on, depending on how much you have, no pic?? , its a fix the problem - drop the pan clean it out - clean the oil pump - new oil, check the filter in another 500 miles or so. If its a lot of metal, time to go deeper.

That makes sense, here’s a couple pictures. IMG_0682.jpg IMG_0678.jpg

MORedJeep

Hey guys thanks the the input, dealer said 1 bad cam left side can’t remember I or E. They replaced all the rockers on that side and took a look at the other side and didn’t see anything to be concerned about. I won’t pick it up until tomorrow.

Even though i am out of warranty I contacted Jeep Customer Cares myself to file a claim since this seems to be such a frequent failure. I set up a ticket and am waiting for a return call. I will post what they say. If they don’t cover the cost my Jeep build fund is going to take a pretty big hit.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

Hey guys thanks the the input, dealer said 1 bad cam left side can’t remember I or E. They replaced all the rockers on that side and took a look at the other side and didn’t see anything to be concerned about. I won’t pick it up until tomorrow.

Even though i am out of warranty I contacted Jeep Customer Cares myself to file a claim since this seems to be such a frequent failure. I set up a ticket and am waiting for a return call. I will post what they say. If they don’t cover the cost my Jeep build fund is going to take a pretty big hit.

Is this a common problem with both the 3.6 and 3.8?

MORedJeep

Is this a common problem with both the 3.6 and 3.8?

It is my understanding that the needle bearings in the rocker arms are known to fail which causes a ticking sound from under the valve covers. The rocker arms, if left unchecked, will wear down the camshaft thus the metal flakes as in my case. It is not a cheep fix so if you hear a ticking, rule out other issues first then get it to a shop or tear into it yourself before you need a cam.

Top Bottom