Jeeping with Young Kids?

Mud Butt

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, and I've learned a lot from the site over the years. I've wheeled a bit myself locally and finally got the wife to agree to join me for a trip to Moab back in 2018.
Getting out there, we hooked up with a few locals for a few days of wheeling and the wife absolutely loved it; we've been itching to get back out there since. That said, we just had our first child in June.

My questions:
How long did those of you with kids wait before taking them out on the trail?
Did you stick to mostly scenic stuff, or were you also doing some technical/more difficult trails?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Welcome from Detroit!

My sons been rolling with me since he was 5 on multi day runs and has never missed a trip in three years. We’ve run anything we could get the Jeep over.

IMG_3594.jpg

As you can see, he didn’t miss a beat on his iPad sitting off camber [emoji23]. But I don’t allow him to be on it during most of the run. It is good tool at the end of the day to when they are dead tired and are ready to be done but you still have many more trails to conquer

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Welcome from Detroit!

My sons been rolling with me since he was 5 on multi day runs and has never missed a trip in three years. We’ve run anything we could get the Jeep over.

View attachment 350267

As you can see, he didn’t miss a beat on his iPad sitting off camber [emoji23]. But I don’t allow him to be on it during most of the run. It is good tool at the end of the day to when they are dead tired and are ready to be done but you still have many more trails to conquer

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

There was an article somewhere I can’t find now, but it said to not go top off for awhile due to the wind pressure making it hard to breathe, it suggested an age that it’s okay but I can’t remember or find it right now. As far as the off-roading part, I think once can support there own head is when you can start doing the light wheeling. No exodus style dune jumping though. Obviously quality car seat helps.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bierpower

Hooked
Mine turned 2 in April and this summer was the first major run she has been on. She got a little fussy because she was bouncing around when she was trying to nap but overall she did really good. It didn't help that we ran 3 trails back to back and spent 12-13 hrs in the jeep by the time we got home. She's been a huge jeep fan since about 6 months though.

1656608935.jpg
1962500960.jpg
1934660108.jpg
1474664736.jpeg
2043517022.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

Mine has been wheeling quite a bit for a 5 year old. All over Colorado, Socal, Moab, Rubicon, Texas. He loves to go! His first trail was Black Bear Pass at 4 months old.

Attachments

• 20150813_151624.jpg
    20150813_151624.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 101

MericaMade

Mine was 4 and absolutely loved it then and loves it even more now. The thing I'm really cautious about is if I'm climbing or descending down something skeptical I have him get out with the wife. My son's turning 6 this year and he really loves jumping out and trying to spot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

J&k_Overland

My daughter was a year ish old when we took her on the Hump and bump event in NV. She did great strapped into her seat. We actually ratchet strapped the car seat to the floor in the TJ right behind the console so she was centered and easy to get to. As she got older she would giggle like crazy on the high speed sections. Now shes 17 and wants her own Jeep.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Welcome!

My kids have been enjoying the jeep with me since we bought it. I believe they were 1, 4, and 6 at the time. The baby was in a rear facing seat and she had no issues. Top and doors off or otherwise. I've been offroading with the 4 year old at Redbird SRA. And my wife and I took the 1 yo (I think she was 1.5 yo actually) also offroading at Redbird. The wife sat in back and entertained the baby. I didn't do anything extreme. Everyone had fun!

I did cut a mesh divider I'd bought to keep the dogs in the back (but didn't fit) up to bungie across the doors when we have them off. I've had a few rocks fling into the cab and I'd hate for one of the kids to get hit. It doesn't look great but it's functional, kids haven't gotten clocked by a rock.

WJCO

Meme King
If you love Jeeps, your kids will love them too. We took scenic trail trips when the kids were younger just because of the bumps. But they've adapted to just about anything now.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Agree with all here. My two have been wheeling with me since they were 4-5. They both love it up to a point of being bored when we are between obstacles or hard stuff. When they were younger I had them get out for questionable things but now it’s their choice. They both get a kick out of off-camber and scary stuff. As some here know I also don’t hesitate to run topless or doorless with them.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Agree with all here. My two have been wheeling with me since they were 4-5. They both love it up to a point of being bored when we are between obstacles or hard stuff. When they were younger I had them get out for questionable things but now it’s their choice. They both get a kick out of off-camber and scary stuff. As some here know I also don’t hesitate to run topless or doorless with them.

I’ll still never forget you and the kids in all that dust at Windrock with the top and doors off. Total troopers!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I’ll still never forget you and the kids in all that dust at Windrock with the top and doors off. Total troopers!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Lol. They still talk about it though with smiles on their faces. Teach them young. I’m excited to see what they think about Moab.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Lol. They still talk about it though with smiles on their faces. Teach them young. I’m excited to see what they think about Moab.

I’m even more excited to let the boy get behind the wheel for some easy stuff there. Taking him to a parking lot this weekend to work on clutching a little if I can.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My son was about 5 months old on his first trip. Before he was a year old he would normally sleep through the roughest parts of the trails. Sometimes my wife would get in the backseat and hold his head from flopping forward too much while he was passed out. He did a lot of trails his first two years of life. He’s 3 now. We had a daughter last January and she hasn’t been on anything more than gravel/logging roads. Hoping to get her out soon. It’s just hard to get anything done with kids these ages. Like others I haven’t done much top off driving to the trails with the little ones.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mud Butt

Mine has been wheeling quite a bit for a 5 year old. All over Colorado, Socal, Moab, Rubicon, Texas. He loves to go! His first trail was Black Bear Pass at 4 months old.

What a great photo! My little one will be 3 months old around my birthday in September....maybe a fall CO trip is in order? :hmm:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Bump.

Had to reference this thread! I’m looking forward to having our daughter on the trail with us [emoji16] she will be here in May so maybe at least one run before next winter!

Colorado4x4

Our kids (7 years and 9 years old now) have been going wheeling for a long time. My 9 year old’s first trip was at about a year old and then my sons first trip was just a few months old. My biggest advice in the JK is to install those rear seat spacers that tilt the rear seat back a little bit. When they’re sleeping and you’re going down a hill it helps with their little heads tilting forward. Sometimes my wife would get in the back when they were sleeping just to hold their heads to keep them from flopping forward. They love going now. It’s obviously not their first choice but they enjoy exploring. We just have to make sure to take breaks and let them get out and explore as they like roaming around.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Our kids (7 years and 9 years old now) have been going wheeling for a long time. My 9 year old’s first trip was at about a year old and then my sons first trip was just a few months old. My biggest advice in the JK is to install those rear seat spacers that tilt the rear seat back a little bit. When they’re sleeping and you’re going down a hill it helps with their little heads tilting forward. Sometimes my wife would get in the back when they were sleeping just to hold their heads to keep them from flopping forward. They love going now. It’s obviously not their first choice but they enjoy exploring. We just have to make sure to take breaks and let them get out and explore as they like roaming around.

^^ This.. Exactly! And (as they get older) when you wheel with people that also have kids.. it makes it even more fun for them... and harder to get them back in the Jeep. [emoji51]

Top Bottom