GMRS Radios

Grunt8541

I just got my FCC GMRS radio license and now I’m shopping.
I can transmit up to 50 watts, so I was trying to get as close to that as possible. I have been looking at the Midland - MXT400, 40 Watt.
My only experience is military comms of 15 plus years ago. So, talk slow please.

Recommendations?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I been looking into MXT 400 is this what you have?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, it’s a boomer. We’ve been able to talk between two of them a couple miles apart in our pretty hilly and forested terrain. The higher number channels are the 40 watt channels. The 1-10 I think are limited at 15 watts

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Andy5160

Hooked
Yes, it’s a boomer. We’ve been able to talk between two of them a couple miles apart in our pretty hilly and forested terrain. The higher number channels are the 40 watt channels. The 1-10 I think are limited at 15 watts

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks Bill

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

Grunt8541

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Are you using the 3dB Gain Antenna?

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I’m entertaining getting a nice system hard wired Into my Jeep. Give me some recommendations on some nice systems. Can I get a higher end set up without license? Will they come with programming software? Thanks in advance, I’m really new to these radios.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m entertaining getting a nice system hard wired Into my Jeep. Give me some recommendations on some nice systems. Can I get a higher end set up without license? Will they come with programming software? Thanks in advance, I’m really new to these radios.

Look at either the Midland MXT 400 or look into Icom. I’m going to move my 400 to the scrambler and look at getting an icom ID 4100 for Bison.

The GMRS license is easy, it takes 10-15 minutes and $75 bucks. An Amateur radio license takes a class and test for the Icom.

The Midland 400 comes pre programmed.

The ICom can be programmed to most frequencies.

Hope this helps,

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Last edited:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Look at either the Midland MXT 400 or look into Icom. I’m going to move my 400 to the scrambler and look at getting an icom ID 4100 for Bison.

The GMRS license is easy, it takes 10-15 minutes and $75 bucks. An Amateur radio license takes a class and test for the Icom.

The Midland 400 comes pre programmed.

The ICom can be programmed to most frequencies.

Hope this helps,

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Indeed it does.....thanks a lot.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
This is probably a dumb question, but if I got the icom and people that I’m wheeling with are using GMRS frequencies will I be able to communicate?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Would you happen to have a link how to do this? I can only find FQ 136 -174 on my 2300H. Maybe its just this radio that can't IDK.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m not sure the different radio specs. The ID 4100 and 5100 appear to be able to key or set the frequency directly. In this picture is show the frequency keyed in.

IMG_4077.JPG

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Would you happen to have a link how to do this? I can only find FQ 136 -174 on my 2300H. Maybe its just this radio that can't IDK.

Looks like yours is only VHF. GMRS is on the UHF spectrum so it won’t work on those.

You would want to look for ones marketed as dual band, those would have UHF/VHF. The tri band models would work as well but would be overkill probably unless you were going to get into amateur radio, since they have HF frequencies.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
So the Midland is the better option I take it? I got 2 Baofeng for GMRS if needed.

For gmrs the midland is going to be the easiest option, and they are good radios. The bonus with the baofeng is you can program the emergency channels in just in case.

Yeah, the midland are so easy. Just wire it in, run an antenna somewhere and you are good to go. No tuning required.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom