Trail Ready Beadlock Bolt Shearing

Wolfpack14

I bought a TJ with trail ready beadlocks a few months ago and noticed after light wheeling today that a few bolts were missing off my drivers side front. I had already noticed a bolt missing from a few others but they were holding air so I just checked them every once in a while.

When I got home and came back out an hour or so later to unload the jeep that drivers front had lost significant air. I went around and checked all the others for tightness and with barely any pressure the bolts are shearing off with part of the shaft still in the wheels so I cannot install a new bolt.

Any advice on what to do? This is my first time owning beadlocks.

Thanks IMG_0872.jpg IMG_0873.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, that is the downside to most beadlock wheels, other than KMC/ATX. Most use thin rings and small bolts. Once one goes, it's only a matter of time before more go. As mentioned, let the air completely out before doing anything more. If it were me, I would start over like a new install and with new bolts.

Wolfpack14

Thanks for the responses, just got the rock ring off and it looks a little bent in. That correct?

Also judging by the overhang of the tire on the wheel looks like the PO should have installed the spacer ring. I have 37x14.50 toyo open country’s

Wolfpack14

Thanks for the responses, just got the rock ring off and it looks a little bent in. That correct?

Also judging by the overhang of the tire on the wheel looks like the PO should have installed the spacer ring. I have 37x14.50 toyo open country’s

IMG_0875.jpg IMG_0874.jpg

jdofmemi

The ring is a bit concave, and the contact patch on the rim looks like it was only touching on the inside. I suspect that you are right, it needed a spacer. If the bolts were torqued, but the ring not in steady contact, the ring will flex some and cause the bolts to fatigue.

That's also why they say to not re torque the bolts after mounting, at least the Trail Ready instructions say that.

I would order a set of spacers, and all new bolts, and re mount all of them. If this one is loose, the others are probably no better.

Wolfpack14

Looks like solid garage gym equipment. [emoji106]

But yea. Air down and start over with all new hardware.

Oh yeah, Rogue poster boy for most of the equipment. Just picked up a Echo Bike and it’s awesome/sucks at the same time.

Wolfpack14

I had previously ordered some hardware just to have so went ahead and replaced it. Filled it up to 35psi and snooped for leaks. No issues then drove it around for a bit and rechecked.

Have 2 other wheels missing 2 bolts so going to monitor it while I order more hardware and spacers.

I had been driving with the tires around 20-25psi on the road but thinking of bumping that up to 30-33 to limit the amount of deflection and pushing on the wheel.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I had previously ordered some hardware just to have so went ahead and replaced it. Filled it up to 35psi and snooped for leaks. No issues then drove it around for a bit and rechecked.

Have 2 other wheels missing 2 bolts so going to monitor it while I order more hardware and spacers.

I had been driving with the tires around 20-25psi on the road but thinking of bumping that up to 30-33 to limit the amount of deflection and pushing on the wheel.

You should run your GoPro to film it when it blows. Will be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
You should run your GoPro to film it when it blows. Will be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

:rolleyes2: ( ok I did giggle when I read that)

I think the TR bolts are one time use IIRC. And it def looks like a spacer should have been used. That's the only downside I saw with the TR vs the ATX wheels - the ring bolt size and the thickness of the rings. The ATX versions are so much more stout.

Wolfpack14

:rolleyes2: ( ok I did giggle when I read that)

I think the TR bolts are one time use IIRC. And it def looks like a spacer should have been used. That's the only downside I saw with the TR vs the ATX wheels - the ring bolt size and the thickness of the rings. The ATX versions are so much more stout.

Ordered the rings so we’ll see if that solves the issue and eliminates that space. If not I’ll probably pull the trigger on some ATXs I think they look better too.

Here’s a good one: (stole from the internet)
IMG_1235.JPG

When I bought my Methods, I put the ring on and ran in a few bolts before I mounted the tires, and they seemed to bottom out right when the bolt was all the way screwed in and the ring was tight to the wheel. I measured the bolt and and the depth of the hole and they are almost identical. Then I bought the 3/16” aluminum spacers and obviously had no problem. Maybe your bolts were shearing because they were bottoming out in the hole? Either way, it sounds like the spacers will do the trick for that bigger bead.

Wolfpack14

Replaced all the hardware and installed spacers. The ring seemed to sit better with the spacers in.

IMG_1032.jpg I’ll monitor them but hopefully this solves the issue.

Top Bottom