110V to 220V Converter??

wjtstudios

Hooked
If there’s a UL rating, it’s probably safe. Depending on how the electric is phased, it could hurt the appliance

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jkjeeper57

A step up/ down transformer would work, they are around $50 on Amazon. I used one living in Germany for all of our 110v appliances, and have used it for 220v to 110v in the US without issues. 20200728_154056.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I would have an electrician take care of it. I really can’t see how you could get 220v out of a 120v receptacle. It’s just not there.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
OK, I just read it. It would work in theory, but you would need to find two 120 V receptacles that are on separate legs of your service panel . So you would probably have to have a cord running between two different rooms.

Ddays

Hooked
OK, I just read it. It would work in theory, but you would need to find two 120 V receptacles that are on separate legs of your service panel . So you would probably have to have a cord running between two different rooms.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Andy!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My daughter just bought a big window AC unit but didn't realize it was 220. I told her she needed an electrician to wire her in a 220 plug but she found this
online & asked about it. 110-220 "converter". http://www.quick220.com/blog/a-convenient-and-safe-110v-to-220v-converter/
I said hell no, that's sketchy AF, but is it really? I wouldn't trust this thing. Electrical experts opinion?

I’ve never actually seen such a thing but there’s no reason it wouldn’t work. It’s essentially just creating a 220 outlet by combining two 110 outlets on separate legs. Which is exactly how you wire a 220 circuit anyways. I personally wouldn’t want the extension cords running all over the place. Unless you already know which two outlets are nearest on separate legs, you’ll have to either shut breakers off and see what dies, or use a meter to measure between the small blades on two outlets. If it reads 0 volts they’re on the same leg. If it reads 220, you’ll know you can use those two outlets to use on that device. Clear as mud? Much easier to just return it and get a 110 unit. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Did she buy it on the black market so she can’t return it?

Sent from my iPhone in their house for the past 2 weks using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol, no, but it's been 88* in their house the past 3 weeks and all of the HVAC guys are all backed up over here. She's trying to figure out some way to use this thing.

I’ve never actually seen such a thing but there’s no reason it wouldn’t work. It’s essentially just creating a 220 outlet by combining two 110 outlets on separate legs. Which is exactly how you wire a 220 circuit anyways. I personally wouldn’t want the extension cords running all over the place. Unless you already know which two outlets are nearest on separate legs, you’ll have to either shut breakers off and see what dies, or use a meter to measure between the small blades on two outlets. If it reads 0 volts they’re on the same leg. If it reads 220, you’ll know you can use those two outlets to use on that device. Clear as mud? Much easier to just return it and get a 110 unit. Lol

Clear as mud. Yep! Really though, that makes sense and I'm electrically retarded.

They're gonna look for a 110 unit for now and have an electrician wire in a plug eventually.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Lol, no, but it's been 88* in their house the past 3 weeks and all of the HVAC guys are all backed up over here. She's trying to figure out some way to use this thing.

Clear as mud. Yep! Really though, that makes sense and I'm electrically retarded.

They're gonna look for a 110 unit for now and have an electrician wire in a plug eventually.

IMG_0240.jpg

Not an electrician, but hell no. Stepping down from 220 to 110 is easy, but how are you making double the voltage? Not to mention the amperage AC uses. Nope nope nope.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Not an electrician, but hell no. Stepping down from 220 to 110 is easy, but how are you making double the voltage? Not to mention the amperage AC uses. Nope nope nope.

Huh? Stepping down is no different than stepping up the voltage? And since this device uses two 110 sources from separate legs of the panel, it’s not changing the voltage at all.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
It will function on 2 separate 110 legs, but you would need to be very aware of the amperage draw on the unit. It states very clearly that it cannot run over 20 amps. Maybe fine for an ac unit (I don’t know) but can’t use one of these for say a welder or air compressor.

Top Bottom