Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110V to 220V Converter??

110V to 220V Converter??

My daughter just bought a big window AC unit but didn't realize it was 220. I told her she needed an electrician to wire her in a 220 plug but she found this
    online & asked about it. 110-220 "converter". http://www.quick220.com/blog/a-conve...20v-converter/
    I said hell no, that's sketchy AF, but is it really? I wouldn't trust this thing. Electrical experts opinion?
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Yeah,I never seen that before.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

If there’s a UL rating, it’s probably safe. Depending on how the electric is phased, it could hurt the appliance

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

A step up/ down transformer would work, they are around $50 on Amazon. I used one living in Germany for all of our 110v appliances, and have used it for 220v to 110v in the US without issues.20200728_154056.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would have an electrician take care of it. I really can’t see how you could get 220v out of a 120v receptacle. It’s just not there.

OK, I just read it. It would work in theory, but you would need to find two 120 V receptacles that are on separate legs of your service panel . So you would probably have to have a cord running between two different rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by nbunga View Post
    OK, I just read it. It would work in theory, but you would need to find two 120 V receptacles that are on separate legs of your service panel . So you would probably have to have a cord running between two different rooms.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Andy!

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit

Did she buy it on the black market so she can’t return it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

110V to 220V Converter??

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    My daughter just bought a big window AC unit but didn't realize it was 220. I told her she needed an electrician to wire her in a 220 plug but she found this
    online & asked about it. 110-220 "converter". http://www.quick220.com/blog/a-conve...20v-converter/
    I said hell no, that's sketchy AF, but is it really? I wouldn't trust this thing. Electrical experts opinion?
    I’ve never actually seen such a thing but there’s no reason it wouldn’t work. It’s essentially just creating a 220 outlet by combining two 110 outlets on separate legs. Which is exactly how you wire a 220 circuit anyways. I personally wouldn’t want the extension cords running all over the place. Unless you already know which two outlets are nearest on separate legs, you’ll have to either shut breakers off and see what dies, or use a meter to measure between the small blades on two outlets. If it reads 0 volts they’re on the same leg. If it reads 220, you’ll know you can use those two outlets to use on that device. Clear as mud? Much easier to just return it and get a 110 unit. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Did she buy it on the black market so she can’t return it?

Sent from my iPhone in their house for the past 2 weks using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Lol, no, but it's been 88* in their house the past 3 weeks and all of the HVAC guys are all backed up over here. She's trying to figure out some way to use this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    I’ve never actually seen such a thing but there’s no reason it wouldn’t work. It’s essentially just creating a 220 outlet by combining two 110 outlets on separate legs. Which is exactly how you wire a 220 circuit anyways. I personally wouldn’t want the extension cords running all over the place. Unless you already know which two outlets are nearest on separate legs, you’ll have to either shut breakers off and see what dies, or use a meter to measure between the small blades on two outlets. If it reads 0 volts they’re on the same leg. If it reads 220, you’ll know you can use those two outlets to use on that device. Clear as mud? Much easier to just return it and get a 110 unit. Lol

Clear as mud. Yep! Really though, that makes sense and I'm electrically retarded.

They're gonna look for a 110 unit for now and have an electrician wire in a plug eventually.

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast