Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift Options

Fresh Catch

Lift Options

Hi All. Short version of a long story but we bought a 2010 JK with a 4 inch lift and had to bring it back and they refunded our money (dealership) as it would wander everywhere. They spend 2 weeks trying to fix it so we just walked away.

Now we have a 2011 JK stock 2 door sport model with 255 75 17 tires roughly 32 inches and it looks nice, but stock lift but it drives awesome up the free way.

What is the biggest or best solution for increasing clearance and an aggressive look without sacrificing freeway handling.

Offroad travel will be low. More deep snow travel likely. No rock crawling or anything.
    98 % travel around town and freeway. It is for a kid to drive to college. We are in Minnesota so snow driving is a wayalife.

Skyjacker said to use their 2.5 spring lift with black max.
    Rough Country said to use their 2.5 spacer lift with their basic shocks.

Any folks have an opinion? That 4 inch lift 2010 that was tough to keep in a lane on the free way has us gun shy.

Thank you!

CP

Been Around the Block BlacknRedJK's Avatar
    There are tons of options out there but given the lack of off roading in the future for the jeep and the desire to just gain some clearance for looks, I would say go with a cheap budget boost spacer lift. Shop around and find the best deal regardless of manufacture they are pretty much all the same. The benefit to doing a spacer as you will keep the factory ride, albeit subjective, many people are happy with the factory feel.

Another option, if you are just looking for an aggressive look. Cut the fenders and swap wheel/tires to something bigger that you like.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknRedJK View Post
    There are tons of options out there but given the lack of off roading in the future for the jeep and the desire to just gain some clearance for looks, I would say go with a cheap budget boost spacer lift. Shop around and find the best deal regardless of manufacture they are pretty much all the same. The benefit to doing a spacer as you will keep the factory ride, albeit subjective, many people are happy with the factory feel.

Another option, if you are just looking for an aggressive look. Cut the fenders and swap wheel/tires to something bigger that you like.

Thank you!

One other question that came up. I called Skyjacker, and Rough Country, and just looked at the teraflex video. Related to you point of they are all basically the same, are there any that would be more corrosion conscious? Minnesota salt...

Thanks again.

Nothing but a Thing 2007 JKU CANADA's Avatar
    I would stay away from all 3 of those . look at the rancho 2" sport lift.
    2018 sting gray JL Sport
    SOLD my O7 JKUX

^^ This or if your shocks are newer you could go with an EVO Leveling kit. Wheel spacers, slightly bigger AT tires and a chopped bumper goes a long way to change the look.

I have done a rough country budget 2.5 on my 2016 jkr. It drove well, I know that it isn't the best option. Im guessing that the reason the other keep was wondering might have been because the caster angle was off. On my jkr I had 35s on that 2.5 lift and level kit and it was a pleasure to drive. Without adjusting the caster angle that's the absolute max I would do. 3chlr6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block BlacknRedJK's Avatar
    While I agree with the above posts for avoiding those brands in general, most of the kits run plastic coil spacers and really are no different between brands. That being said, if you decide to go with a spring lift/leveling kit EVO or rancho would be my choices as well. If it were me, going spacers, shock extensions/relocations, and sway bar links, like most of the budget boost kits are then I would pick whatever one you find the best deal on.

In regard to corrosion resistance, I don’t know that any one brand would be better but generally speaking you get what you pay for in terms of powder coating.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petercl10 View Post
    Thank you!

One other question that came up. I called Skyjacker, and Rough Country, and just looked at the teraflex video. Related to you point of they are all basically the same, are there any that would be more corrosion conscious? Minnesota salt...

Thanks again.
    No. Hard pass on all of those. Ride like shit. Blow out easy. Rust out fast.

Get eco plush ride coils and rancho or fox shocks for a “budget” lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Fresh Catch
    Thank you everyone. I'll post what we end up with.

Thank you.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by petercl10 View Post
    Hi All. Short version of a long story but we bought a 2010 JK with a 4 inch lift and had to bring it back and they refunded our money (dealership) as it would wander everywhere. They spend 2 weeks trying to fix it so we just walked away.

Now we have a 2011 JK stock 2 door sport model with 255 75 17 tires roughly 32 inches and it looks nice, but stock lift but it drives awesome up the free way.

What is the biggest or best solution for increasing clearance and an aggressive look without sacrificing freeway handling.

Offroad travel will be low. More deep snow travel likely. No rock crawling or anything.
    98 % travel around town and freeway. It is for a kid to drive to college. We are in Minnesota so snow driving is a wayalife.

Skyjacker said to use their 2.5 spring lift with black max.
    Rough Country said to use their 2.5 spacer lift with their basic shocks.

Any folks have an opinion? That 4 inch lift 2010 that was tough to keep in a lane on the free way has us gun shy.

Thank you!

CP

OK, the saga continues. Looked at Teraflex and talked to the guy there. He said that the 2.5 either spacer or spring lift would be great with up to 35s. Then I asked about caster angle and keeping that correct to help with the driveability and he said to look at heir SP2 which includes lower control arms to make the caster correct. But the price tag is $1300 without shocks. I don't spending that but don't want to waist when the Rancho 2 inch is around $500 with shocks.

Is it worth it to fix the caster? Or to buy the Rancho and get new lower control arms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast