Lift Options

petercl10

Hi All. Short version of a long story but we bought a 2010 JK with a 4 inch lift and had to bring it back and they refunded our money (dealership) as it would wander everywhere. They spend 2 weeks trying to fix it so we just walked away.

Now we have a 2011 JK stock 2 door sport model with 255 75 17 tires roughly 32 inches and it looks nice, but stock lift but it drives awesome up the free way.

What is the biggest or best solution for increasing clearance and an aggressive look without sacrificing freeway handling.

Offroad travel will be low. More deep snow travel likely. No rock crawling or anything.
98 % travel around town and freeway. It is for a kid to drive to college. We are in Minnesota so snow driving is a wayalife. :)

Skyjacker said to use their 2.5 spring lift with black max.
Rough Country said to use their 2.5 spacer lift with their basic shocks.

Any folks have an opinion? That 4 inch lift 2010 that was tough to keep in a lane on the free way has us gun shy.

Thank you!

CP

BlacknRedJK

There are tons of options out there but given the lack of off roading in the future for the jeep and the desire to just gain some clearance for looks, I would say go with a cheap budget boost spacer lift. Shop around and find the best deal regardless of manufacture they are pretty much all the same. The benefit to doing a spacer as you will keep the factory ride, albeit subjective, many people are happy with the factory feel.

Another option, if you are just looking for an aggressive look. Cut the fenders and swap wheel/tires to something bigger that you like.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

petercl10

There are tons of options out there but given the lack of off roading in the future for the jeep and the desire to just gain some clearance for looks, I would say go with a cheap budget boost spacer lift. Shop around and find the best deal regardless of manufacture they are pretty much all the same. The benefit to doing a spacer as you will keep the factory ride, albeit subjective, many people are happy with the factory feel.

Another option, if you are just looking for an aggressive look. Cut the fenders and swap wheel/tires to something bigger that you like.

Thank you!

One other question that came up. I called Skyjacker, and Rough Country, and just looked at the teraflex video. Related to you point of they are all basically the same, are there any that would be more corrosion conscious? Minnesota salt...

Thanks again.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
^^ This or if your shocks are newer you could go with an EVO Leveling kit. Wheel spacers, slightly bigger AT tires and a chopped bumper goes a long way to change the look.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I have done a rough country budget 2.5 on my 2016 jkr. It drove well, I know that it isn't the best option. Im guessing that the reason the other keep was wondering might have been because the caster angle was off. On my jkr I had 35s on that 2.5 lift and level kit and it was a pleasure to drive. Without adjusting the caster angle that's the absolute max I would do. 3chlr6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlacknRedJK

While I agree with the above posts for avoiding those brands in general, most of the kits run plastic coil spacers and really are no different between brands. That being said, if you decide to go with a spring lift/leveling kit EVO or rancho would be my choices as well. If it were me, going spacers, shock extensions/relocations, and sway bar links, like most of the budget boost kits are then I would pick whatever one you find the best deal on.

In regard to corrosion resistance, I don’t know that any one brand would be better but generally speaking you get what you pay for in terms of powder coating.

Thank you!

One other question that came up. I called Skyjacker, and Rough Country, and just looked at the teraflex video. Related to you point of they are all basically the same, are there any that would be more corrosion conscious? Minnesota salt...

Thanks again.

No. Hard pass on all of those. Ride like shit. Blow out easy. Rust out fast.

Get eco plush ride coils and rancho or fox shocks for a “budget” lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

petercl10

Hi All. Short version of a long story but we bought a 2010 JK with a 4 inch lift and had to bring it back and they refunded our money (dealership) as it would wander everywhere. They spend 2 weeks trying to fix it so we just walked away.

Now we have a 2011 JK stock 2 door sport model with 255 75 17 tires roughly 32 inches and it looks nice, but stock lift but it drives awesome up the free way.

What is the biggest or best solution for increasing clearance and an aggressive look without sacrificing freeway handling.

Offroad travel will be low. More deep snow travel likely. No rock crawling or anything.
98 % travel around town and freeway. It is for a kid to drive to college. We are in Minnesota so snow driving is a wayalife. :)

Skyjacker said to use their 2.5 spring lift with black max.
Rough Country said to use their 2.5 spacer lift with their basic shocks.

Any folks have an opinion? That 4 inch lift 2010 that was tough to keep in a lane on the free way has us gun shy.

Thank you!

CP

OK, the saga continues. Looked at Teraflex and talked to the guy there. He said that the 2.5 either spacer or spring lift would be great with up to 35s. Then I asked about caster angle and keeping that correct to help with the driveability and he said to look at heir SP2 which includes lower control arms to make the caster correct. But the price tag is $1300 without shocks. I don't spending that but don't want to waist when the Rancho 2 inch is around $500 with shocks.

Is it worth it to fix the caster? Or to buy the Rancho and get new lower control arms?

JPast

The consensus here is basically to never buy anything from Teraflex, there’s a thread here full of people who’ve had issues with their products at one point or another.

I would lean towards the Rancho setup that others have recommended.

Last edited:
OK, the saga continues. Looked at Teraflex and talked to the guy there. He said that the 2.5 either spacer or spring lift would be great with up to 35s. Then I asked about caster angle and keeping that correct to help with the driveability and he said to look at heir SP2 which includes lower control arms to make the caster correct. But the price tag is $1300 without shocks. I don't spending that but don't want to waist when the Rancho 2 inch is around $500 with shocks.

Is it worth it to fix the caster? Or to buy the Rancho and get new lower control arms?

You seem to have picked what you already want and are here looking for people to back your pick. We don’t like your picks, we told you what we like [emoji23]

Call bubba at exodus.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Maybe you should start with describing what your end game is? What exactly are you looking to do? Your initial post makes it sound like that you’re content with the stock tire size and your looking to lift it for cosmetic reasons. If that’s the case then keep the lift on the low end like around 2” with an EVO Leveling kit or Rancho Sport Lift. You won’t need to worry about caster, flips or replacing drive shafts. Later you’ll be all set for slightly larger tires (P295 or skinny 35’s) with the addition of wheel spacers.

petercl10

Maybe you should start with describing what your end game is? What exactly are you looking to do? Your initial post makes it sound like that you’re content with the stock tire size and your looking to lift it for cosmetic reasons. If that’s the case then keep the lift on the low end like around 2” with an EVO Leveling kit or Rancho Sport Lift. You won’t need to worry about caster, flips or replacing drive shafts. Later you’ll be all set for slightly larger tires (P295 or skinny 35’s) with the addition of wheel spacers.

That is exactly what he wants. Thank you. We will do evo or rancho.

bmkrinne

One additional option - AEV’s 2.5” lift with their Bilstein shocks with geo brackets. I ran this setup with 315/70R17 tires and the ride and drivability is outstanding. Would highly recommend.

petercl10

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] what? No

Hi all

Update. Very happy. Had some trouble with an online retailer saying they had the rancho 2 1/2 lift that could ship. It couldn’t. They actually just cancelled my order. After 10 days and several hours on the phone. Found the teraflex lift and black max shocks at Amazon and got it in two days. Couldn’t be happier. It drives better than my wife’s stock 2018 jk unlimited.

Thanks for all of your help!

MericaMade

Hi all

Update. Very happy. Had some trouble with an online retailer saying they had the rancho 2 1/2 lift that could ship. It couldn’t. They actually just cancelled my order. After 10 days and several hours on the phone. Found the teraflex lift and black max shocks at Amazon and got it in two days. Couldn’t be happier. It drives better than my wife’s stock 2018 jk unlimited.

Thanks for all of your help!

SMH....you should have called Bubba or any other vendor before buying terrorflex.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom