Axle widths

Burley

So I’ve been looking at Dynatrac axles and I am getting pretty close to swapping D60s front and rear. I noticed today to get 72.5” axles it was going to be about a $4k upgrade. My plan is a 4.5” lift and run 38x13.50.

My question is the wider axles necessary, it’s a lot more for those wide axles. What other options are out there?

TheGrendel

So I’ve been looking at Dynatrac axles and I am getting pretty close to swapping D60s front and rear. I noticed today to get 72.5” axles it was going to be about a $4k upgrade. My plan is a 4.5” lift and run 38x13.50.

My question is the wider axles necessary, it’s a lot more for those wide axles. What other options are out there?

You can run the regular width Dynatracs with 3.5 backspace (vast majority of beadlocks) wheels.

38x13.5 will fit no problem on the normal width.

JJ151

Shouldn’t be a problem. I’m running 5.21” backspace beadlocks with 37’s on 68.5” wide D60’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

benatc1

Hooked
One of the main reasons Dynatrac went that wide is so you can clear coilovers and DTD with still having a higher backspace wheel and lower scrub radius. So lots of different combinations that can clear or won't but like others have said many run 3.5 backspacing without issue.

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
A lot of good information already posted. Something a lot of people overlook when deciding is where do you wheel? If you wheel in areas with tight spaces like between trees or rocks, 72.5 inch axles might actually work against you.

Just food for thought...

benatc1

Hooked
A lot of good information already posted. Something a lot of people overlook when deciding is where do you wheel? If you wheel in areas with tight spaces like between trees or rocks, 72.5 inch axles might actually work against you.

Just food for thought...

That's a good point, just like many things that never get taken into consideration when people start building, but I'm curious to the total width difference between a 72.5 Axle with 5" bs and a 68.5 axle with 3.5 back spacing, quick math would say about an inch wider with the 72.5. Hopefully in the next 2-3 years I'll be torn with this delima as well lol.

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
In regards to the types of trails you run, I think what matters in the end is overall width. You can run a standard width axles with wheels that stick out past the brake calipers and have a wider stance than the 72.5” axle with tires tucked in directly over your ball joints. I can tell you from experience you’ll notice the difference. Turning 37s on my stock axles was a lot harder than 40s due to the scrub radius.

It’s hard to describe how easy it was to turn 40s, aired down, on asphalt with no ram assist. It was pretty amazing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the main reasons Dynatrac went that wide is so you can clear coilovers and DTD with still having a higher backspace wheel and lower scrub radius.

This ^^^^^^^

For most people, there really is no need for 72.5

Burley

Trying to keep a low center of gravity and not do a big lift I was told the 72.5 width was a necessity when running the tire size I want.

However a lot of the info I am getting is from a hardcore crawler who loves his wide axles. I’m probably leaning more towards overlanding and kind of a hybrid build that can go crawling when wanted.

So what’s why I have landed on evo high clearance long arm with the d60s front and rear. So much of Jeeping is the people you go when and the circle I run with goes to Moab every year and liked to find technical trails so it might be more of a crawler when I am done than Overland

wjtstudios

Hooked
Trying to keep a low center of gravity and not do a big lift I was told the 72.5 width was a necessity when running the tire size I want.

However a lot of the info I am getting is from a hardcore crawler who loves his wide axles. I’m probably leaning more towards overlanding and kind of a hybrid build that can go crawling when wanted.

So what’s why I have landed on evo high clearance long arm with the d60s front and rear. So much of Jeeping is the people you go when and the circle I run with goes to Moab every year and liked to find technical trails so it might be more of a crawler when I am done than Overland

Unless you are running 40s, the 68.5” width will be fine.

What Back spacing on the wheels are you running?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom