Will a caster of 2.4 cause a rough ride?

nodnarb706

I’m trying to figure out if it’s more my tires or caster causing a rough ride. I’m running load E 315/70/17 STT Pros at 22psi. I have an OME HD lift that added 2.75 inches. My alignment paperwork shows 2.4 castor on the left and 2.7 caster on the right. The Jeep rode better than stock with the OME lift and stock Rubicon tires, so I always just assumed it was my tires causing the rough ride. Then I started reading about people mentioning caster and I thought I’d get some opinions on if mine is off enough to cause issues. I really appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

BaddestCross

I’m trying to figure out if it’s more my tires or caster causing a rough ride. I’m running load E 315/70/17 STT Pros at 22psi. I have an OME HD lift that added 2.75 inches. My alignment paperwork shows 2.4 castor on the left and 2.7 caster on the right. The Jeep rode better than stock with the OME lift and stock Rubicon tires, so I always just assumed it was my tires causing the rough ride. Then I started reading about people mentioning caster and I thought I’d get some opinions on if mine is off enough to cause issues. I really appreciate any input on this. Thanks.
Factory caster is 4.25 I believe, so you're off but it doesn't make your ride rough, it makes your steering flighty.

The OME HD springs are stiff as hell and you'd need a lot of weight to make them ride nice. If you're not heavy, try swapping them out to medium or standard. Or go with EVO plush rides, Rancho, or Synergy springs.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

WJCO

Meme King

2.4 caster will make your steering go back, forth, left, right, up, down faster than a covid19 health expert on the media.

duktrx

I have a 4" OME lift, but I added adjustable lower control arms up front. My castor is closer to the factory setting, l am still dialing it in, but when I was close to your caster, my steering was flighty as hell.

I have E rated BFG KO2's in the same size as what you are running; I keep a fair amount of weight in the back, enough that it is noticeable when I run empty.

I was thinking of plush rides, so as a daily driver, I have more room.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

nodnarb706

I really don’t want to replace all of my control arms with adjustable ones. Would you recommend geometry correction brackets or something like the JKS non adjustable lower control arms to address the caster?

WJCO

Meme King
I really don’t want to replace all of my control arms with adjustable ones. Would you recommend geometry correction brackets or something like the JKS non adjustable lower control arms to address the caster?

Can you give more info on what you're experiencing as far as a 'rough ride?' Hell, you could have too much air in your tires, or poorly balanced tires. It would suck to buy any new parts to correct your caster (even though your caster is indeed too low) and then find out caster wasn't causing what you're experiencing.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I am a BIG fan of the Rancho geo correction bracket, but I am a bit bias...
If you are looking at lowers i like adjustable. The thinking is IF you want to upgrade they will "grow" with your suspenion.
Good luck!
:beer:

nodnarb706

Can you give more info on what you're experiencing as far as a 'rough ride?' Hell, you could have too much air in your tires, or poorly balanced tires. It would suck to buy any new parts to correct your caster (even though your caster is indeed too low) and then find out caster wasn't causing what you're experiencing.

It just rides really stiff and is especially jarring over bumps and potholes in the road. Like I said, I always really thought it was my tires until I started reading about the caster being off. I’m only running 22 psi in my tires.

Top Bottom