Cornhole board suggestions

Trail Bud

Hooked
I’m looking to buy or build a cornhole set. Anybody plays, fun backyard or anywhere game and in any weather.
Tight on $ so your input is appreciated.
Questions:
-Buy it or build? I found nice complete set of 2x4’ for $115.00 w/ bags.
-BIG question 2x3’ or 2x4’ I want small for transporting but would that be a big mistake in the end?
-Finished polyurethane or unfinished.

IMG_6381.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m looking to buy or build a cornhole set. Anybody plays, fun backyard or anywhere game and in any weather.
Questions:
-BIG question 2x3’ or 2x4’ I want small for transporting but would that be a big mistake in the end?

View attachment 352559

I think regulation boards are 2x3 if I’m not mistaken so if you want it to be harder than get those. The 2x4 might be more family friendly and fun with the bigger surface.

I have a poly coated set. They are nice cause salt water hasn’t effected them in the past 4 years but the bags tend to slide more across it. Makes you work on your shot tho more and can make it a little more competitive imo

Clutch

Caught the Bug
For transporting I’d suggest taking half the set, it doesn’t change the dynamics of the game. It just adds a few extra steps of walking back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Trail Bud

Hooked
For transporting I’d suggest taking half the set, it doesn’t change the dynamics of the game. It just adds a few extra steps of walking back and forth.

Great idea!!

I think regulation boards are 2x3 if I’m not mistaken so if you want it to be harder than get those. The 2x4 might be more family friendly and fun with the bigger surface.

I have a poly coated set. They are nice cause salt water hasn’t effected them in the past 4 years but the bags tend to slide more across it. Makes you work on your shot tho more and can make it a little more competitive imo

I was curious so went to the source:
The American Cornhole Association requires platforms be a 48" x 24"

Never thought of the bags sliding, just the board protection.
Shit getting complicated already.
Thanks.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Built my set out of 2x4’s and either 1/2” or 3/4” sanded plywood. They are heavy but the bags don’t bounce. I used brush on gloss Rustoleum. Buy a good set of bags.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’m interested in what you come up with Tail Bud. I want to build my own also.

Trail Bud

Hooked
Built my set out of 2x4’s and either 1/2” or 3/4” sanded plywood. They are heavy but the bags don’t bounce. I used brush on gloss Rustoleum. Buy a good set of bags.

What was your cost to build? If I could ask.
I get the argument that spend $120.00 get everything. I say it cheaper to build.

I’m interested in what you come up with Tail Bud. I want to build my own also.

Follow along and we’ll see.

jesse3638

Hooked

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
What was your cost to build? If I could ask.
I get the argument that spend $120.00 get everything. I say it cheaper to build.

Maybe at best $90 all in. The plywood was expensive because I went with precut 2’x4’ sanded. I don’t have a 6” hole saw so I used a jig saw and sanded to get the 6” opening. The bags I sourced local from a guy who sold regulation bags on CL.

WJCO

Meme King
Questions:

If you're going to do it, step up to the plate like this guy, lol :

desertrunner

I have built 3 sets all generally the same way. 1/4 sheet of 1/2" thick birch plywood 2'x4' and 2x4s for the base and legs.

The first set I built just by screwing down through the plywood into the 2x4s then filled the holes with wood puddy and sanded smooth. The other two sets I used a kraig jig so I could screw in from the bottom and have a completely smooth top with no filler.

2 of them I painted then used oil based polyurethane. 3 coats on the top but I do think it's a little slick. This last set i actually am finishing in my garage right now I stained and did water based poly and I don't think the surface is as slick which I like.

If you have the chance to buy or borrow a 6" hole saw it really is a huge time saver. The first one I did with a jig saw and spent a while on the dremmil making it as round as I could. The other 2 we way better with the hole saw.

All that said the first set I built has lasted 7 years and 3 military moves so I think they are stout.

All in all I'd say they way I built them is about $80 including stain and poly IMG_20200825_194820_01.jpg 20200829_133959.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trail Bud

Hooked
Maybe at best $90 all in. The plywood was expensive because I went with precut 2’x4’ sanded. I don’t have a 6” hole saw so I used a jig saw and sanded to get the 6” opening. The bags I sourced local from a guy who sold regulation bags on CL.

$90.00 is good but for few more $ I don’t have to make it. Sometimes I like doing a project though.

My wife found a set earlier this year at Target. Its good quality and come with bags. It retails for $80 but was on clearance for $40. It's unfinished and I still need to put some poly on it. Its also a blank canvas for personalization. Maybe check those out. I don't think I could have made one and bought bags for even $80.

Edit: I'm pretty sure its this one.
https://www.target.com/p/beyond-out...d5hiRXGg2rjkAKexeDRoC5asQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s a great deal!! I haven’t found anything close.
This is a small set the boards are 2x3’

Last edited:

Trail Bud

Hooked
I have built 3 sets all generally the same way. 1/4 sheet of 1/2" thick birch plywood 2'x4' and 2x4s for the base and legs.

The first set I built just by screwing down through the plywood into the 2x4s then filled the holes with wood puddy and sanded smooth. The other two sets I used a kraig jig so I could screw in from the bottom and have a completely smooth top with no filler.

2 of them I painted then used oil based polyurethane. 3 coats on the top but I do think it's a little slick. This last set i actually am finishing in my garage right now I stained and did water based poly and I don't think the surface is as slick which I like.

If you have the chance to buy or borrow a 6" hole saw it really is a huge time saver. The first one I did with a jig saw and spent a while on the dremmil making it as round as I could. The other 2 we way better with the hole saw.

All that said the first set I built has lasted 7 years and 3 military moves so I think they are stout.

All in all I'd say they way I built them is about $80 including stain and poly View attachment 352588 View attachment 352589

Nice job!
What you did is what I’d do. Improve it, (I can make it better.) Like they say practice makes perfect. In my world anyway.
Cutting the hole I’d have to practice on scrap to make sure I don’t screw it up. I don’t have a 7” hole saw. That’s another reason to maybe buy. The costs keeps going up.
Thanks for the input.

desertrunner

The 6" hole saw I bought on Amazon for maybe $17 but the person I made the boards for payed me $100 so my "profit" I guess went to buying a tool. But I'm sure I will make more in the future so justified the want for it.

And yes I'm sure you can find boards at target for about the same price but I can assure you it's not 1/2" birch plywood and 2x4 sturdy it's gonna be flimsy wood that bows Everytime a bag hits it (which is why I just build this recent set haha)

Trail Bud

Hooked
The 6" hole saw I bought on Amazon for maybe $17 but the person I made the boards for payed me $100 so my "profit" I guess went to buying a tool. But I'm sure I will make more in the future so justified the want for it.

And yes I'm sure you can find boards at target for about the same price but I can assure you it's not 1/2" birch plywood and 2x4 sturdy it's gonna be flimsy wood that bows Everytime a bag hits it (which is why I just build this recent set haha)

I agree with the wood type and with your justification of your tool purchase. I do the same. :)

Nice job!
What you did is what I’d do. Improve it, (I can make it better.) Like they say practice makes perfect. In my world anyway.
Cutting the hole I’d have to practice on scrap to make sure I don’t screw it up. I don’t have a 7” hole saw. That’s another reason to maybe buy. The costs keeps going up.
Thanks for the input.

This is overkill but you get the concept. Can make any size hole with a jigsaw. https://youtu.be/7Mh2jjDOF-M

Top Bottom