Rubicon trail summer of 2022

desertrunner

Putting this here mostly as a placeholder but I am gonna use it as a place to gather info and get ready for a bucket list trail.

Background is made a deal with the wife that in the summer of 2022 I'm gonna take a jeep trip... No wife..... No dog... No kids (if that happens in the near future). Just me and the jeep and I want to finally do the rubicon.

Because it will be just me I will probably be in the 2dr loaded down but time will tell which jeep I bring.

I have never done the Rubicon nor have I ever multi day trail run / camp so definitely gonna be looking for tips and tricks and things to know or think about when it comes to any permits etc.

Open invite to anyone on WAL that wants to join me. I may try and get my dad to ride along with me since he lives up in Sacramento. If there is a lot of interest we can start working out dates with people way later when it gets closer. I don't even know what's a good time of year to do it haha.

While I'm up there I was thinking fordyce would be awesome to hit too but the Rubicon is the priority and I will have to see how many days I can off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
The timing is right, but that’s a bit too far off for me to start planning. I hope to be out there in a couple of years for sure and run the Rubicon an a couple other trails.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

desertrunner

Oh yeah planning is way off in the distance right now and I wish I could do next summer but there is still too much up in the air with my work and moving that I don't want it to fall through.

At this early in the game I'm just hoping to learn things from people who have been like
1. Do you need to reserve camp sights
2. Do you need a permit to run it
3. How many days can I expect out there
4. Good fishing spots
5. Good time of year that's not packed full of people

Most of this info is google able but it would be cool to hear from the people that have been, so it's not rushed planning.

I will probably get dates squared away a few months before the trip since in my line of work it's hard to do anything sooner than that.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately for a trip like this I would need to plan it by this October for the next year. So if anyone wants to plan something for next August Or September I’m down

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

BaddestCross

Oh yeah planning is way off in the distance right now and I wish I could do next summer but there is still too much up in the air with my work and moving that I don't want it to fall through.

At this early in the game I'm just hoping to learn things from people who have been like
4. Good fishing spots

Most of this info is google able but it would be cool to hear from the people that have been, so it's not rushed planning.

I will probably get dates squared away a few months before the trip since in my line of work it's hard to do anything sooner than that.

You don't need to reserve any camp site... All open camping.

You'll want a fire permit to cook even if campfires aren't allowed at the time (restrictions change often).

The group I was with ran it in 2 days, but 3 or 4 would be much better to enjoy the scenery and camping.

Maybe Brute will chime in about fishing...

End of September, early October would have less people, but you have to catch it before the cold and snow hits unless you enjoy freezing your ass off at night.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jdofmemi

Ir can be done in two days, but three is more fun, less stressed, and you get to enjoy two outstanding camp sites.

Camp first night at Buck island lake, then second night at Rubicon springs.

Buck island is all open camping, first come first serve
Some of the better sites at Rubicon springs can be reserved for a small fee.

We have went in together for a room at South Lake Tahoe to store doors for the trip if you want to run doorless.

Weekdays are less crowded than weekends.

Be sure to check the Jeep Jamboree, and Jeepers Jamboree schedule so you font go when they are. If you go right after ine of them, the trail is nearly turned to a cobblestone road vy all the rock stacking they do, so its less challenging.

There's more, but im sure others will chime in as well.

benatc1

Hooked
Maybe I can make this, would be a fun time. You can go as fast or slow as you want through the trail, Overlander and I ran in it about 6-7 hours last summer but didn't get stuck behind any groups nor did we really stop much. I'd def recommend taking a few days and camping a bit, especially if a group goes, it's really a wonderful experience and awesome place to spend some time.

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Maybe I can make this, would be a fun time. You can go as fast or slow as you want through the trail, Overlander and I ran in it about 6-7 hours last summer but didn't get stuck behind any groups nor did we really stop much. I'd def recommend taking a few days and camping a bit, especially if a group goes, it's really a wonderful experience and awesome place to spend some time.

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have considered shooting up there for a quick 1 day trip through, but I always talk myself out of it. The wheeling is great, but so much of the Rubicons magic comes from the camping and exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

My initial gut feeling is I will take about 10 days off. 2 day drive out 2 day back so that leaves 6 of wheeling. I'm definitely there for the experience of camping and taking in the sights not rushing through the trail.

If fordyce is an option, late summer is probably better maybe Sept time frame but that's later to figure out.

Good to know about camping / cooking. Sounds like 3 days is normal maybe 4 depending on how good the fishing is. I grew up lake fishing in the Sierra's so I'm getting really excited to do this trip even though it's 2 years out.

Also hoping I'll have hydro assist by then on the 2dr will make life way easier.

JTTrailDraggin

I’m interested as well. I’ve camped remotely lots in my life. As for the trail itself for those that have wheeled it, would a stock Gladiator be able to make it on the factory 33” rubber? Or do I need to start planning a lift and bigger rubber before then? September would work for me!

jdofmemi

I’m interested as well. I’ve camped remotely lots in my life. As for the trail itself for those that have wheeled it, would a stock Gladiator be able to make it on the factory 33” rubber? Or do I need to start planning a lift and bigger rubber before then? September would work for me!

With a good driver, it probably "could" make it, but it will not look the same.

Get it on 37" tires to have a shot with minimal damage.

Brute

Hooked

With a good driver, it probably "could" make it, but it will not look the same.

Get it on 37" tires to have a shot with minimal damage.

Your biggest challenge would be your breakover angle...I’d get it on 37’s...

I heard that there was this crazy guy driving a Jeep truck on the Dusy Ershim, which is much tighter than the Rubicon...but at least he was on 40’s

Brute

Hooked

4. Good fishing spots

I might make this trip...I did drive your Anvil in my first trip on the Rubicon...

Ir can be done in two days, but three is more fun, less stressed, and you get to enjoy two outstanding camp sites.

Camp first night at Buck island lake, then second night at Rubicon springs.

Buck island is all open camping, first come first serve
Some of the better sites at Rubicon springs can be reserved for a small fee.

We have went in together for a room at South Lake Tahoe to store doors for the trip if you want to run doorless.

Weekdays are less crowded than weekends.

Be sure to check the Jeep Jamboree, and Jeepers Jamboree schedule so you font go when they are. If you go right after ine of them, the trail is nearly turned to a cobblestone road vy all the rock stacking they do, so its less challenging.

There's more, but im sure others will chime in as well.

^^^this... if you plan it right, once you find out when the two Jamboree’s are running it, you could squeeze in between and check out Sierra Trek if the are running Fordyce near the same time

Top Bottom