Thoughts on a NV4500, to replace runout NV3550?

Kuboske

My 2000, TJ, which I posted about, in Jeep show-and-tell, needs the NV3550, rebuilt. I can do the job myself, for probably $400.
The thought occured to me to find a used NV4500, and swap it in. I will be replacing the clutch, regardless of what trans I use.
My question is, to those who have gone this route, what is involved? Special clutch? Transfer case mount right up? Length differences in case's? Body tub clearance?
You might ask...what is the end purpose for this Jeep? I don't know, except, now would be the time, since I have to spend $.

wjtstudios

Hooked
My 2000, TJ, which I posted about, in Jeep show-and-tell, needs the NV3550, rebuilt. I can do the job myself, for probably $400.
The thought occured to me to find a used NV4500, and swap it in. I will be replacing the clutch, regardless of what trans I use.
My question is, to those who have gone this route, what is involved? Special clutch? Transfer case mount right up? Length differences in case's? Body tub clearance?
You might ask...what is the end purpose for this Jeep? I don't know, except, now would be the time, since I have to spend $.

I put a NV4500 in my CJ. Call Novak or check out their website. There’s a ton of information on the 4500 and They also rebuild them. We did not have any tunnel issues getting it under the CJ, but we did need to use a clocking plate to rotate the TC up. I put a hydraulic clutch in while we were in there.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Kuboske

Thanks for the quick reply on this.
NV4500's are popular here in farm country, for pulling trucks. Problem might be finding one that hasnt been trashed pulling a sled...

For what purpose? What are you looking to gain? Still a 5 speed, gearings a bit different, and a few options, need a 6 bolt PTO for something? Easier to rebuild and more readily available parts but I don’t see a real upside to changing. Ax15 /3550 are plenty strong if you upgrade might as well get a 6 speed the nsg370 came in the 06 that was made by Mercedes.

Offhand I think you would have both bell and tcase mount issues and I assume a different spline. Guessing adapter plate needed. If I recall correctly from my reman days the output on those are waaay different? But that also might just be the 2wd versions. Obviously the clutch slave is different. The shape of the trans I think will be an issue at the top as it’s pretty wide /triangular at the top while the stock is pretty round and not much room in the tj tub. And then obviously a custom skid / trans mount. Also the crank sensor on the top, which again goes back to a different bell.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
I put a NV4500 in my CJ. Call Novak or check out their website. There’s a ton of information on the 4500 and They also rebuild them. We did not have any tunnel issues getting it under the CJ, but we did need to use a clocking plate to rotate the TC up. I put a hydraulic clutch in while we were in there.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Wait I thought you bought a new ax15 for the C.J.?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Wait I thought you bought a new ax15 for the C.J.?

That’s what happens when these build take too long. You swap the AX for the NV and buy an atlas to put behind it. The NV is stronger than the AX. The AX would have been the weak link in my setup between the 360 and atlas.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Last edited:
That’s what happens when these build take too long. You swap the AX for the NV and buy an atlas to put behind it. The NV is stronger than the AX. The AX would have been the weak link in my setup between the 360 and atlas.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Good god man you’re reupgrading the upgrades before you even put it together? We gotta find you a jeepers anonymous meeting. 🤣

wjtstudios

Hooked
Good god man you’re reupgrading the upgrades before you even put it together? We gotta find you a jeepers anonymous meeting. 🤣

It’s very serious. I thought Wayalife was my jeepers anonymous 🤣🤣

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bigcale

Caught the Bug

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Basically the same thing I did to my CJ years ago. Bolted to the back of my 4.2 and clocked my dana 300. The 5.6 to 1 1st gear is great great off road.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Basically the same thing I did to my CJ years ago. Bolted to the back of my 4.2 and clocked my dana 300. The 5.6 to 1 1st gear is great great off road.

I can’t wait. It’s been a journey, but I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Kuboske

So..... I did some research and found Advance Adaptors has the kit with everything needed to do a swap. They can even include the transmission, if you want. Trouble is... the kit is $958. The trans adds $2400. If I spent that, I would need both Jeepers Anonymous, and marriage counseling. Especially after what I've spent on the YJ.
Notes on the kit did say, you have to cut on the floor of your Jeep. I'm thinking a body lift would eliminate that need.

So..... I did some research and found Advance Adaptors has the kit with everything needed to do a swap. They can even include the transmission, if you want. Trouble is... the kit is $958. The trans adds $2400. If I spent that, I would need both Jeepers Anonymous, and marriage counseling. Especially after what I've spent on the YJ.
Notes on the kit did say, you have to cut on the floor of your Jeep. I'm thinking a body lift would eliminate that need.

Yeah they’re commercial duty, and come with a price that matches. Checkout jasper / weller / valley truck parts remanufactured prices. Their core charges are normally pretty high as they need them to rebuild and I doubt they’ll give you full credit for your old lighter duty nv. Just don’t tell the wife you could’ve just rebuilt the old one for 500 bucks, she doesn’t need To know that.

Kuboske

Yeah they’re commercial duty, and come with a price that matches. Checkout jasper / weller / valley truck parts remanufactured prices. Their core charges are normally pretty high as they need them to rebuild and I doubt they’ll give you full credit for your old lighter duty nv. Just don’t tell the wife you could’ve just rebuilt the old one for 500 bucks, she doesn’t need To know that.

I've worked with Weller, many times, using their heavy duty truck remans. Tried awhile back to sell them some Fuller 10spd. cores. They weren't interested in buying. Don't know whats up with that.
Not telling my wife everything about costs is on page two of my playbook, already. Actually, she doesn't usually ask. She is the one who asked me to not go hog wild on the TJ. Said she would like it to be more "comfortable", than the YJ. She also said I should keep both toys. Very good woman.
I did get the AC, fixed on the TJ. For her. It's chillin' like an icebox, now....

I've worked with Weller, many times, using their heavy duty truck remans. Tried awhile back to sell them some Fuller 10spd. cores. They weren't interested in buying. Don't know whats up with that.
Not telling my wife everything about costs is on page two of my playbook, already. Actually, she doesn't usually ask. She is the one who asked me to not go hog wild on the TJ. Said she would like it to be more "comfortable", than the YJ. She also said I should keep both toys. Very good woman.
I did get the AC, fixed on the TJ. For her. It's chillin' like an icebox, now....
Out of the gate the tj is already way more comfortable than any yj so miles ahead. I wouldn’t recommend weller, who is now owned by jasper anyways.

Top Bottom