JL 2.0 coolant bubbling

Broske

I’m new here and to Jeep. Came from an FJ and a 4 Runner. I was a member of both vehicle forums for an extended period of time and heavily modified both. Been wheeling with some members from over here before.

I picked up a 2020 JLU Rubicon with the 2.0 Turbo, it’s at about 4k mi now.

Last night when my wife pulled into the garage and parked I noticed a loud bubbling sound coming from the engine bay. I popped the hood and the coolant resi was bubbling heavily. I shot a video of it about 10 minutes later, the intensity of the bubbling dwindled but it was still bubbling even after 15-20 minutes of being off.

Do I need to be concerned here? The temp showed between 192-195 when at idle and she didn’t notice anything unusual while driving (not saying much) outside temp where I live was about 90 deg. The cap seemed to be tight I didn’t get much movement at all. I posted this on the JL wrangler forums but it’s pretty dead over there for reply’s. Anyone have issues similar?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m new here and to Jeep. Came from an FJ and a 4 Runner. I was a member of both vehicle forums for an extended period of time and heavily modified both. Been wheeling with some members from over here before.

Last night when my wife pulled into the garage and parked I noticed a loud bubbling sound coming from the engine bay. I popped the hood and the coolant resi was bubbling heavily. I shot a video of it about 10 minutes later, the intensity of the bubbling dwindled but it was still bubbling even after 15-20 minutes of being off.

Do I need to be concerned here? The temp showed between 192-195 when at idle and she didn’t notice anything unusual while driving (not saying much) outside temp where I live was about 90 deg. The cap seemed to be tight I didn’t get much movement at all. I posted this on the JL wrangler forums but it’s pretty dead over there for reply’s. Anyone have issues similar?

Welcome to WAYALIFE!

Sounds like you have air getting into the cooling system somehow. Maybe a pin hole somewhere.

Since you only have 4K on the odometer I would take it to the dealer. Show them the video and let them get it hot so they can diagnose it.

Broske

Welcome to WAYALIFE!

Sounds like you have air getting into the cooling system somehow. Maybe a pin hole somewhere.

Since you only have 4K on the odometer I would take it to the dealer. Show them the video and let them get it hot so they can diagnose it.

Cooling fan? Was she in stop and go traffic? Thermostat could be stuck closed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the reply’s and welcome! It was from a cold start, outside temp was about 90. 30 minute highway drive with a few stop lights.

I’m going to take to the dealer but was curious if the cooling system is a known issue. Found a few threads but nothing specific to the bubbling.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for the reply’s and welcome! It was from a cold start, outside temp was about 90. 30 minute highway drive with a few stop lights.

I’m going to take to the dealer but was curious if the cooling system is a known issue. Found a few threads but nothing specific to the bubbling.

On the JK with the 3.6 the cooling system was a somewhat issue. Thermostat housings would crack causing air pockets. Can’t say I have heard of anything on the JL as of yet tho.

Zero experience with that engine, is the coolant tank pressurized or just an overflow? On a lot of foreign / turbo cars they have an electric after run coolant pump, it circulates coolant after the engine is off to continue to slowly cool the head and turbo so it’s not as temperature shocked. It sounds gurgley when it runs and can see it running through the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Zero experience with that engine, is the coolant tank pressurized or just an overflow? On a lot of foreign / turbo cars they have an electric after run coolant pump, it circulates coolant after the engine is off to continue to slowly cool the head and turbo so it’s not as temperature shocked. It sounds gurgley when it runs and can see it running through the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Welcome to forum. Like someone else mentioned. Take it to dealer. It's brand new.
BTW...Cap normally has written on it what kpa and psi it is.

Last edited:

Broske

Welcome to forum. Like someone else mentioned. Take it to dealer. It's brand new.
BTW...Cap normally has written on it what kpa and psi it is.

Def. getting it to the dealer. It is pressurized, 5psi/34.5 kPa. Not sure if it circulates the coolant after turned off or not but this was the first time it made any noticeable noises. Also my first vehicle with a turbo.

I figured I’d ask here to see if anyone had it happen because the dealer is usually a mess at diagnosing issues and or generally fixing anything.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Def. getting it to the dealer. It is pressurized, 5psi/34.5 kPa. Not sure if it circulates the coolant after turned off or not but this was the first time it made any noticeable noises. Also my first vehicle with a turbo.

I figured I’d ask here to see if anyone had it happen because the dealer is usually a mess at diagnosing issues and or generally fixing anything.

5psi...this sounds like ancillary coolant system. You have 2020...right? So no 48v battery system (etorque)? My secondary systems on my 18 are 5psi. Engine coolant system I believe is 25psi

WJCO

Meme King

We have a 2020 with the 2.0L. It only has about 1500 miles on it but we haven't experienced what you are. We drove it around this afternoon for about an hour or so, so when I got home, for kicks I popped the hood. No bubbling anywhere. We have the main coolant reservoir near the washer tank and there is what appears to be another coolant reservoir up near the brake master cylinder but it is black and not clear so fluid is not visible. Let us know what the dealer says.

Edit: just looked at manual. The main coolant reservoir is the black one up by the firewall. The one up front is for the intercooler.

Last edited:

Broske

5psi...this sounds like ancillary coolant system. You have 2020...right? So no 48v battery system (etorque)? My secondary systems on my 18 are 5psi. Engine coolant system I believe is 25psi

Probably yes, I was thinking the same thing too. 5psi is too low pressure for the main cooling system but I don’t have any turbo motor experience only what I’ve read. It’s a 2020 no etorque. The reservoir is on the driver side near the headlight. I would post a picture but it won’t upload and I don’t have any independent image hosting accounts. It looks like a reservoir that provides cooling for the turbo system in conjunction with the entire cooling system?

Edit, It would make sense if it’s part of the turbo cooling system, probably shouldn’t be bubbling. I’m scheduling a dealer visit this weekend. I’ll post what they say.

Last edited:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Probably yes, I was thinking the same thing too. 5psi is too low pressure for the main cooling system but I don’t have any turbo motor experience only what I’ve read. It’s a 2020 no etorque. The reservoir is on the driver side near the headlight. I would post a picture but it won’t upload and I don’t have any independent image hosting accounts. It looks like a reservoir that provides cooling for the turbo system in conjunction with the entire cooling system?

Edit, It would make sense if it’s part of the turbo cooling system, probably shouldn’t be bubbling. I’m scheduling a dealer visit this weekend. I’ll post what they say.

Since no etorque you will have two systems instead of three. One closest to firewall (black) is for engine coolant. 25psi. The one by driver fender should be for your turbo and EGR and is 5psi. Hopefully your bubbling is not a major issue....but typically means a leak somewhere. Highly doubt it's boiling. Good luck!!

WJCO

Meme King
Since no etorque you will have two systems instead of three. One closest to firewall (black) is for engine coolant. 25psi. The one by driver fender should be for your turbo and EGR and is 5psi. Hopefully your bubbling is not a major issue....but typically means a leak somewhere. Highly doubt it's boiling. Good luck!!

How can you tell if you have the etorque option or not?

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
How can you tell if you have the etorque option or not?

One, you will have three coolant reservoirs. Second, under jeep towards the back you will have big skid plate with 48v battery above it. Coolant lines run down driver side frame rail to it, and refrigerant lines run down center of jeep to it. etorque has a 3phase AC generator that starts the vehicle after initial start. Very quiet, hardly notice it.

They removed it for 2.0L in 2020 and added it on the V6.

WJCO

Meme King
One, you will have three coolant reservoirs. Second, under jeep towards the back you will have big skid plate with 48v battery above it. Coolant lines run down driver side frame rail to it, and refrigerant lines run down center of jeep to it. etorque has a 3phase AC generator that starts the vehicle after initial start. Very quiet, hardly notice it.

They removed it for 2.0L in 2020 and added it on the V6.

Ah ok. Thanks. I don't have any of that bullshit.

Broske

Jeep is at the dealership now. Hopefully they can sort it out, I didn’t get the greatest response initially. They explained it has a fan cooling system that runs when it’s off. I had to show the service writer the video of the bubbling and explain it wasn’t a fan I am concerned about and it was probably something to do with the turbo cooling system. He didn’t care to show the video to a tech and said that it won’t help because they need to find the issue. He just asked the service manager and he agreed they should look at it. Warranty covered the inspection.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Jeep is at the dealership now. Hopefully they can sort it out, I didn’t get the greatest response initially. They explained it has a fan cooling system that runs when it’s off. I had to show the service writer the video of the bubbling and explain it wasn’t a fan I am concerned about and it was probably something to do with the turbo cooling system. He didn’t care to show the video to a tech and said that it won’t help because they need to find the issue. He just asked the service manager and he agreed they should look at it. Warranty covered the inspection.

I hate service writers like that. Every bit of information like that should go to the tech.

Top Bottom