Thread: Wheel backspacing

Wheel backspacing

Are any of you guys running 35s or 37s on a 4.75 backspace? Or do you think it'll fit with no rubbing at full flex ?I know it's only a quarter inch less than what most are running but I don't want to screw myself. The wheels I want are only available in 3.75 or 4.75 and I don't want the extra stress on wheel bearing and balljoints from 3.75s.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

You will rub and end up putting spacers on to solve it. Better to just got 3.75 and put pro steers in.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

We ran 4.5 or 4.75 on our JK with 35s. We never really flexed it out fully. But either way, any lower backspacing than stock will contribute to wear on ball joints and wheel bearings. It's just physics. You'll enjoy your jeep more and won't really think about it. Just know that those repairs will be needed at some point in the future.
    "And I sincerely believe with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." -Thomas Jefferson.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

I am running 4.75 and 37s and do have some rubbing and also causes issues with some after market tie rods. Probably better off with 3.75

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block

Wheel backspacing

I’m running 5.25” back spacing with 37x12.50 tires and they rub quite a bit but I am willing to put up with it so I can keep the stock fenders and AEV bumpers. The front tires do hit the lower control arms and sway bar during turns on obstacles. No rubbing on the fender wells though.

The rears only rub on my OEM fender liners at 9 & 3 along with the rear bumper at full stuff. Additional wheel back spacing would help the front but not the rear.

I’ve got the Rusty’s HD tie rod and works perfectly with zero rubbing. Synergy and the Exodus tie rods are a no go with the 5.25”.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Nothing but a Thing Saharaunlmtd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-mansjk View Post
    Are any of you guys running 35s or 37s on a 4.75 backspace? Or do you think it'll fit with no rubbing at full flex ?I know it's only a quarter inch less than what most are running but I don't want to screw myself. The wheels I want are only available in 3.75 or 4.75 and I don't want the extra stress on wheel bearing and balljoints from 3.75s.

I run 35s on 4.75” BS w/o issue. On my previous JK, I ran 37s on 4.75” w/ very slight rubbing but those were KM2s so definitely on the smaller side.

I’d say if you are stopping at 35s and not ever going to consider COs, go with the 4.75s. Otherwise, go 3.75.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by G-mansjk View Post

I think that most lift manufacturers call for 4.50 at minimum. If you're thinking about going to coilovers down the road I could be wrong but I believe you need to run 3.75 to clear them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app