Rear body mount nut

Rhutch

I was trying to mount my Evo sliders and I broke the weld on the rear body mount nut. The bolt spins freely, and maybe got one or two turns before it broke free. Has this happened to anyone? Can I access the nut from inside the cab by removing the seat and plastic?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I was trying to mount my Evo sliders and I broke the weld on the rear body mount nut. The bolt spins freely, and maybe got one or two turns before it broke free. Has this happened to anyone? Can I access the nut from inside the cab by removing the seat and plastic?

I did it while installing Evo bombers on the JT. I just pulled the bolt out too far and flipped the nut in the frame. It’s actually a flag nut... not welded. I was able to reach it after pulling that black cylinder looking thing and got it back into place. Sorry my nomenclature isn’t the best. You’ll know what I mean when you see it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Rhutch

Bolt is still in place and can’t remove the canister. I guess it sheared the sheet metal or broke the tang off the nut. How important is installing the rear, since it is detached from the bombers? I also have the rockskins installed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

slopresto

I had the same thing happen on the passenger rear body mount bolt. All bolts were a real pain to break. When I got to the very last one, it just spun in place after coming out about 1/16".

I took it into the dealer because the jeep is a month old and I thought that was garbage to have such a crap weld on that nut. They had to tell Jeep a story apparently, to get it covered and ended up cutting and repairing part of the cab to get to it and weld a new nut on. They showed me the factory bolt and it was clearly cross threaded, but had to have been done at the factory as it was the first time ever off.

That said, it did the job and happy to report that I am finishing my slider install tomorrow. May be worth checking with your dealer.

Rhutch

I had the same thing happen on the passenger rear body mount bolt. All bolts were a real pain to break. When I got to the very last one, it just spun in place after coming out about 1/16".

I took it into the dealer because the jeep is a month old and I thought that was garbage to have such a crap weld on that nut. They had to tell Jeep a story apparently, to get it covered and ended up cutting and repairing part of the cab to get to it and weld a new nut on. They showed me the factory bolt and it was clearly cross threaded, but had to have been done at the factory as it was the first time ever off.

That said, it did the job and happy to report that I am finishing my slider install tomorrow. May be worth checking with your dealer.

That is what I suspect is wrong with mine, not sure if I want to mess with the dealer. Maybe I may modify the bracket and weld it in place, since it bolts to the slider. Thanks for the update.

Curt_Zingg

Rear Body Mount and EVO Rock Sliders
Over the weekend I tackled the project to install my EVO Gladiator Bombers with Rock Skins on my 2020 gladiator Rubicon

Had some minor issues with the first 2 rivnuts I installed but got by that and even though I did some practice rivnuts they can be tricky but was able to get all of the right side completed and lined up.
What stopped me dead was the body mounts, and I will admit I didn’t do enough review on issues with the body mount bolts. I just popped my impact wrench on them and backed them off.

I was working on only 1 side at a time, Drivers side, front came out fine, backed off middle one enough to the thickness of the rock slider, but the rear body mount. Would not budge, after working on it for a little while using a breaker bar it started to turn but not back out, now it just spins with some clanking like the fastener is cleaning against something.
Seeing pretty much the. 1/16-1/8 drop on the bolt but it spins freely.

Off to the internet, and oops should have reviewed the issues with these body mount bolts either being stripped or cross threaded from the factory.

So I tried to view up inside the body part of the mount, both by using a finger to feel around but i think there’s a cup that the nut and bolt rest in and could not view using the scope I have as well.

What sort of experience have others had and what’s been the solution.
Thank you in advance. Hard way to finally getting around to posting.

Eagle1911

Hmmm. I think I will check to see if the bolts come out freely before placing my order. Still trying to decide if I want the Rock Skins or not. I have a 2021 Mojave

Any time you touch a body mount bolt on any jeep, grab a torch and get that bitch HOT. Even a little blue tank propane torch. Then penetrating oil, before you even try to loosen it. Give it a few love taps with a hammer, THEN after all the things try to loosen it paying close attention to the feeling of "oh shit is it snapping?" before applying any more leverage, add more heat.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
When I installed my rocker guards the rear bolts were tough to loosen but never had any other problems. They tightened right up afterwards. I guess I was lucky. 🤷‍♂️

CalSgt

Hooked
Any time you touch a body mount bolt on any jeep, grab a torch and get that bitch HOT. Even a little blue tank propane torch. Then penetrating oil, before you even try to loosen it. Give it a few love taps with a hammer, THEN after all the things try to loosen it paying close attention to the feeling of "oh shit is it snapping?" before applying any more leverage, add more heat.
I Kinda like those methods
When I installed my rocker guards the rear bolts were tough to loosen but never had any other problems. They tightened right up afterwards. I guess I was lucky. 🤷‍♂️
After all of the horror stories about them I was sweating it, but I got lucky too

Top Bottom