Rig randomly cut off

Angry Aussie

Last night while I was sitting at a stop light my Jeeps engine just shut off. I have a 2012 JKUR. I was on a bit of an incline and had just under a 1/4 tank of gas in it and the engine just shut off. It threw me for such a loop I didn’t notice if the electronics cut off as well. It has never happened to me before and I don’t have any dash lights on. It started right up no problem and didn’t happen again last night. Haven’t gone anywhere today to see if it would happen again.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Any ideas why it may have done it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Could possibly be your security system . Mine did that one time while driving and hasn’t done it sense. If it does it again check if there’s a little red light on the right side of the cluster. with no label on it just a red dot.

It’s this one

IMG_2270.JPG

Angry Aussie

Could possibly be your security system . Mine did that one time while driving and hasn’t done it sense. If it does it again check if there’s a little red light on the right side of the cluster. with no label on it just a red dot.

It’s this one

View attachment 353700

Will do. Any idea why that would cause it to just shut off like it did?

JAGS

Hooked
There’s a recall for the pcm. Not sure if related. FWIW, I just sold my 2012 and got the recall notice about a week later. That same day, the new owner said the Jeep did just what you said. Never did that before to me. I sent him the recall so he could check with the dealer. Here’s what I got.

Adjustments.jpg

Last edited:

Bear_JT

Hooked
Crank shaft position sensor. Same thing happened to me several times earlier this summer.

Angry Aussie

Crank shaft position sensor. Same thing happened to me several times earlier this summer.

Did it ever happen to you while you were driving? Or just when you were at a light or stop sign?

Bear_JT

Hooked
Mostly at a light, stop sign, drive-through pick up window, backing out or pulling into a parking space at very low speeds. Even just idling at a dead stop in park.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I’ll be interested to hear what the problem was, that is if they actually find something. Crank/Cam sensors usually throw codes. Clock Spring not so much.

Angry Aussie

Mostly at a light, stop sign, drive-through pick up window, backing out or pulling into a parking space at very low speeds. Even just idling at a dead stop in park.

Ok cool. Thanks man I really appreciate it!

Angry Aussie

I’ll be interested to hear what the problem was, that is if they actually find something. Crank/Cam sensors usually throw codes. Clock Spring not so much.

Me to, no codes have come up. Getting it to the shop Wednesday. I’ll keep you posted.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Me to, no codes have come up. Getting it to the shop Wednesday. I’ll keep you posted.

Mine died a ton of times before I actually took it to the dealer and they were able to see the interruption coming from the crankshaft sensor. I replaced both camshaft sensors and did a transmission fluid filter change before I said enough. The check engine light didn’t come on once during all that, and it never threw a code either. I checked for codes several times with my Flash Paq. Dealer racked me $300.00 for a $20.00 part and “calibration” of that sensor.

USMC Wrangler

I second this, CPS. As I recall Bear and I had the same issue very close together. I avoided the dealer as it’s easy to get to and my dealer sucks badly.

“Calibration” of the sensor? Wow! I did nothing of the sort and have had zero issues.

It looked to me that the plastic sensor allowed engine oil to seep into the body. It eventually got to the part where the pigtail plugged in and caused the electrical interruption.

I also had no codes thrown or found during scans. Hope this helps and good luck!

Angry Aussie

I second this, CPS. As I recall Bear and I had the same issue very close together. I avoided the dealer as it’s easy to get to and my dealer sucks badly.

“Calibration” of the sensor? Wow! I did nothing of the sort and have had zero issues.

It looked to me that the plastic sensor allowed engine oil to seep into the body. It eventually got to the part where the pigtail plugged in and caused the electrical interruption.

I also had no codes thrown or found during scans. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I’m guessing that’s exactly what it is. The shop I go to thinks it’s that as well. I’m just glad it’s nothing major or something they would have to chase down or try to recreate.

jdofmemi

Based on your problems that you shared on this issue, I now have a crank position sensor in my bag of spare parts.

Bear_JT

Hooked

Yeah we both had this problem at almost the same time. I really wish I would have just done it myself. I’m fully capable of doing it, but I was really tied up with work and I was so pissed with the whole situation I just said screw it and let the dealer do the work. I know their calibration story was crap so if you can do it on your own I highly recommend it.

USMC Wrangler

Yeah we both had this problem at almost the same time. I really wish I would have just done it myself. I’m fully capable of doing it, but I was really tied up with work and I was so pissed with the whole situation I just said screw it and let the dealer do the work. I know their calibration story was crap so if you can do it on your own I highly recommend it.

Yep, no calibration was done to mine. I know Bubba had one come into his shop not long after with the same issue. As I recall, he said that one had engine oil seeping through like mine.

Top Bottom