Ball joint question

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So found this. While I wait for a replacement, is this okay to drive on the road? Can I offroad safely? Opinions? 20201002_201954.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
What part of the photo are you concerned with?
The balljoint should be flush. There is a gap. So basically the lower balljoint is pressed out a little. I have to order the knurled version to fix it.

WJCO

Meme King
The balljoint should be flush. There is a gap. So basically the lower balljoint is pressed out a little. I have to order the knurled version to fix it.

I think that's normal. Here's mine

IMG_20161212_205525_561.jpg

IMG_20161212_205346_688.jpg

bmkrinne

Adjustments.JPG

I think Josh is saying this space should not be there. I don’t have any experience with this condition.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
The axle C is not machined in a way that is parallel to the ball joint ridge. So one part of the ridge will contact the C before the rest of the ridge will. Can't press it in beyond that.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Are you sure it was pressed in all the way to start with and has moved out? If not just press it in a little further

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yes I pressed it in myself per the instructions. The old balljoints were knurled and I bought non knurled but didn't know it until install. They pressed in okay when I first did it but they might have moved since install. My uppers did the same thing and had them replaced. Lowers were fine until I just saw them today. Im just worried if they will move out anymore.

jeeeep

Hooked
So found this. While I wait for a replacement, is this okay to drive on the road? Can I offroad safely? Opinions? View attachment 353888

I'll take a pic of the lower ball joint on my JK but I'm pretty sure it's pressed with a much smaller gap.

If may be the angle of the photo but is the zerk fitting rotated and keeping it from pressing all the way in?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I'll take a pic of the lower ball joint on my JK but I'm pretty sure it's pressed with a much smaller gap.

If may be the angle of the photo but is the zerk fitting rotated and keeping it from pressing all the way in?

No the zerk is fine. When I pressed it in there was no gap at all. It has moved since I pressed them in about 5k miles ago. I inspected them after my moab trip and there no gap so this has happened recently

mijku

I thought once you pressed in knurled you should never go back to non knurled due to the scoring it makes in the hole.
Yes I pressed it in myself per the instructions. The old balljoints were knurled and I bought non knurled but didn't know it until install. They pressed in okay when I first did it but they might have moved since install. My uppers did the same thing and had them replaced. Lowers were fine until I just saw them today. Im just worried if they will move out anymore.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

How can the bottom joint even go down without the top one moving?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's a legit question. I read somewhere that the lower ball joint on JK's is the only load bearing joint. To me, that means the upper joint is of a different design than the lower one. As if the upper one is only along for the ride. Hope someone has an answer for this, even though this is not a JK we are talking about here is it.

Last edited:

bmkrinne

That's a legit question. I read somewhere that the lower ball joint on JK's is the only load bearing joint. To me, that means the upper joint is of a different design than the lower one. As if the upper one is only along for the ride. Hope someone has an answer for this, even though this is not a JK we are talking about here is it.

It’s a 2017 JKUR we’re talking about. After the wheeling yesterday at Stoney Lonesome, it looked like the lower ball joint pushed in slightly towards the axle C, but not all the way. I also thought the lower took all the weight, so after the beating it took yesterday, i would have thought it would have seated against the C but it didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

RageKage

Not to thread jack, but has anyone heard or seen/used the ball joints delete kit from American Iron Off-road? Seen a while ago and follow their Facebook page. Guy was featured in Crawl magazine for them too. Not trying to promote him or anything just curious if anyone has any insight on the subject.

“Sleipnir”
2014 JKU

“Snoopy”
1974 CJ5

Last edited:

Slimebones

I just saw a cutaway diagram of the upper ball joint design and therefore retract my previous statement/question. And I obviously do not have an answer for the OP

Top Bottom