Diff master rebuild kit

CalSgt

Hooked
I just got a deal on some 4.88 R&P,s for my JLUR, do I absolutely need the complete rebuild kits? I’m at 20K miles.

If I can get the bearings off and back on without damaging them would I be able to get away with just replacing the crush sleeve, pinion nut, and pinion seal if I can source the correct alignment shims?

I did a search and didn’t see where this had been discussed already, please redirect me if it’s already been covered.

There’s no chance you can get the bearings off without pullers that cost more than just getting a master install kit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
If you get the bearings on and off without damage, and get the pinion and axle shafts out and in without damaging the seals (probably multiple times), and have proper shims then no you don’t need the install kits. The necessity for changing the ring gear bolts is debatable although I would since it’s in the kit. This to me just seems like a lot of (ifs) while you jeep is left inoperable and parts are probably not easily sourced locally. In my opinion I would spend the couple hundred bucks to be 100% sure I had all the necessary parts prior to tearing it down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
If you get the bearings on and off without damage, and get the pinion and axle shafts out and in without damaging the seals (probably multiple times), and have proper shims then no you don’t need the install kits. This to me just seems like a lot of (ifs) while you jeep is left inoperable and parts are probably not easily sourced locally. In my opinion I would spend the couple hundred bucks to be 100% sure I had all the necessary parts prior to tearing it down.

This is my exact perspective. Now if it's not a daily driver and you don't care if it takes up garage space, not as big of a deal if you damage a bearing and have to wait a few days. But for someone wanting to keep moving on it, I would definitely have new bearings readily available.

bouche03

Not worth the chance of saving a few bucks when it leaves too much to chance. Worth some extra cheddar to have everything new in there and not take the chance

CalSgt

Hooked
Brick only has 17k miles but I bought master rebuild kits when I got new gears, it was only $190 I believe

Master kits for the JL Rubicon axles are about $320-$350 for both... I've looked everywhere. Seems like the general consensus is to just do the kit and replace everything

Master kits for the JL Rubicon axles are about $320-$350 for both... I've looked everywhere. Seems like the general consensus is to just do the kit and replace everything

And don’t forget the loctite on the ring gear bolts. Also I don’t know the case break for the Jl and assuming you can reuse your carriers for that Ratio

CalSgt

Hooked
I priced out what it would cost to order a la carte:
ring bolts 2 sets
crush sleeves 2
pinion seals 2
pinion nuts 2
Carrier shims (1 for each side) total of 4
pinion shim (set of 4 with a few thousandths range) 2

Ended up being about $200 shipped but not including tax.

So the $330 for two master kits with everything including a few tubes of gasket maker isn't too bad of a deal, got everything on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7J11R8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_image_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7J8HRF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Top Bottom