Front axle seal leaking- can I run it low for awhile?

zimm

Caught the Bug
So my third front axle seal is gone and made a nice puddle in my parking spot. It stopped dripping after a month, so I'm assuming the oil level is now down to the axle tube. Can I keep driving it or am I going F-up the axle? I got the seal and gear oil on hand (after a month wait), but I'm in Italy and renting a bay in the shop on base and trying to do this with loaner tools is not going to be fun. Currently I'm barely driving it and I run around on base or hit the grocery store in town. Or is it super bad I should just attempt seal number 4 and hope it holds?

So my third front axle seal is gone and made a nice puddle in my parking spot. It stopped dripping after a month, so I'm assuming the oil level is now down to the axle tube. Can I keep driving it or am I going F-up the axle? I got the seal and gear oil on hand (after a month wait), but I'm in Italy and renting a bay in the shop on base and trying to do this with loaner tools is not going to be fun. Currently I'm barely driving it and I run around on base or hit the grocery store in town. Or is it super bad I should just attempt seal number 4 and hope it holds?

I have never destroyed my axle because of a leaking seal but I have always replaced them before they stopped leaking completely. You have lost a good amount of fluid and I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable driving it until you get the seal fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

I drove mine for a few hundred miles and just added some oil every week. Everytime I added oil some would leak out. I did that till I got the new PR44.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Oil leaks in front are less problematic than leaks in the rear. You should still have enough to lubricate the bearings and gears. Oil gets thrown around inside the pumpkin as you drive.

In the rear, it’s more problematic. If the oil level drops below the axle tubes, the wheel bearings can get starved of oil and seize up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

zimm

Caught the Bug
Oil leaks in front are less problematic than leaks in the rear. You should still have enough to lubricate the bearings and gears. Oil gets thrown around inside the pumpkin as you drive.

In the rear, it’s more problematic. If the oil level drops below the axle tubes, the wheel bearings can get starved of oil and seize up.

That's my thought. The rear bearings are lubed by the diff oil. The fronts wheel bearings are sealed, so as long as the ring and pinion are splashing around in whatever is in the bottom, I think I'm going to run it. I'll top it up here and there. It'll give me an excuse to PR44 when I get back assuming I don't toast my locker and R&P. If I do, I'll have to get the non-rubi with ARB and new gears. Or pony up for tons.

I'm not running around the Everglades anymore with the axles underwater for hours on end. I think that's what toasted all my oil seals.

You talking about a slow leak or everything in the tubes drains out when you park it? I would be fine running it with an occasional top off if the first but uncomfortable If the leak is severe, that’s asking for trouble.

MericaMade

That's my thought. The rear bearings are lubed by the diff oil. The fronts wheel bearings are sealed, so as long as the ring and pinion are splashing around in whatever is in the bottom, I think I'm going to run it. I'll top it up here and there. It'll give me an excuse to PR44 when I get back assuming I don't toast my locker and R&P. If I do, I'll have to get the non-rubi with ARB and new gears. Or pony up for tons.

I'm not running around the Everglades anymore with the axles underwater for hours on end. I think that's what toasted all my oil seals.
I wish I would have done tons over the PR44. I have absolutely zero complaints on the prorock and absolutely loved it but I just wish I would have done the axles as a set.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
You talking about a slow leak or everything in the tubes drains out when you park it? I would be fine running it with an occasional top off if the first but uncomfortable If the leak is severe, that’s asking for trouble.

It's a slow leak. When the Jeep first got here, I got a nice dump of fluid- made a nice stain in the parking lot and the inside of the tire is all covered in sticky gear lube. It could have been from transportation too- it was a cargo ship coming over, then truck transport from Belgium to Italy- it was probably on a goofy angle on the car carrier. But now it's barely wet at the axle tube. I need to top it off and see how fast it leaks out, then I'll know for sure.

Good push for the tons. I sold my 37's and ATX beadlocks to come over here. So if I want to play in the rocks again, I'll need new wheels and tires anyway- good time for 8 lugs. Or save my money and run the 35's I downgraded to and avoid the big stuff.

Top Bottom