VIDEO : HEATING THINGS UP - Putting Moby's 6.2L LT Cooling System to the Test

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When it comes to V8 motor swaps, everyone wants to talk about things like horsepower, torque, what it sounds like or what it looks like under the hood. But the one thing that nobody really wants to talk about, is heat. With big power comes high temps under the hood and it's a real problem and one that can be difficult to keep in check. Fortunately, Motech has done a great job of addressing the cooling needs of Moby's brand new 6.2L Gen-V LT engine and I would have to say, they've even gotten it to run measurably cooler than the LS we had before. In fact, for the better part of a week now, Cindy and I have been pushing Moby hard, bombing him across the desert and taking on the rocks and so far, he's been able to keep both his coolant and transmission temps, well under control. However, we knew there was still one test that we needed to do. One that we've always found to be a challenge, for any engine and that's to make a long, slow and windy climb up a desert mountain and in the kind of triple degree heat that you can almost always find out in the Nevada desert. In this short video, you'll get to see the results of this test.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20201013163723-e73d54a5-me.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Cool video [emoji41]

It’s amazing the lengths Robby and you have gone on the cooling system. Glad all that hard work has paid off

I love the sound of Moby on the move, just beastly!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

WJCO

Meme King
Glad to see it's reliable in those conditions. Does moby still have a/c and was the a/c on during that climb?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool video [emoji41]

It’s amazing the lengths Robby and you have gone on the cooling system. Glad all that hard work has paid off

I love the sound of Moby on the move, just beastly!

Thanks! All I've been doing is sharing my experiences and concerns with Robbie. He's just been going the extra mile to help address my concerns. And to be fair, I don't think a vast majority of his customers use their Jeeps the way we do.

Moby sounds badass. Looking forward to more video in the rocks.

Thinking that'll be sooner than later :D

Glad to see it's reliable in those conditions. Does moby still have a/c and was the a/c on during that climb?

Yes, Moby still has AC but no, we were not running it during this climb but more out of habit than anything. I would bet that it would have been hard on the cooling system though. That said, we NEVER ran the heater like most would have been forced to.

Kuboske

This shop must really know their stuff. They address every aspect of the engine, transmission swap in the first visit/install.
Impressive.

jeeeep

Hooked
V-8 sound brought a tear to my eye and big ass grin on my face :thumb:

That was a good test, not all of us get the chance to use our Jeep like you do but nice to know where the potential issues may show up.

Transmission heat is pretty high at 240-250, I thought above 220 it starts to cause fluid break down and other issues, is it using a synthetic ATF?

did you have it in 4hi?

What gear did it make the climb in? I think I heard you say "once I got the gear locked in, temperature stopped climbing"?

BTW I'm still grinning ear to ear ...dammit, I'm doomed and almost into the whiskey where shopping gets dangerous lol

pop2tu

So glad you have Moby back. He sounds great. It is really hard to keep any engine cool running roads like that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This shop must really know their stuff. They address every aspect of the engine, transmission swap in the first visit/install.
Impressive.

Oh yeah, Motech really knows their stuff and Robbie is a savant when it comes to engines. :yup:

V-8 sound brought a tear to my eye and big ass grin on my face :thumb:

That was a good test, not all of us get the chance to use our Jeep like you do but nice to know where the potential issues may show up.

Transmission heat is pretty high at 240-250, I thought above 220 it starts to cause fluid break down and other issues, is it using a synthetic ATF?

did you have it in 4hi?

What gear did it make the climb in? I think I heard you say "once I got the gear locked in, temperature stopped climbing"?

BTW I'm still grinning ear to ear ...dammit, I'm doomed and almost into the whiskey where shopping gets dangerous lol

All this was done in 2WD and we were purposefully trying to push things. Also, I was referring to the fan on the trans cooler. Once I turned it on, temps stopped climbing.

What part of Nevada did run your test looks like near Lake Mead or near the river would like to go there , my wife and I live nearby

Good eye! This is down in that area. :yup:

So glad you have Moby back. He sounds great. It is really hard to keep any engine cool running roads like that.

Thanks! Been so nice having him back. The road alone is tough but doing it in 100+ temps makes it that much harder.

Looks and sounds amazing. Great spot to test the cooling too. I remember a lot of rigs getting a bit warm even in January going through that area. (Paging baddestcross)

KICKROX

Very "cool" Eddie.. pun intended. And great job to Cindy for the nice video. Never get sick of watching Moby.

JT@623

Hooked
Thanks for posting the video mines been at Motech since May just confirmed my choice of going to Robbie for the swap . Just one question did you swap gears with the new power-plant ?

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Great video. Impressed with the upgrade. And that drive was awesome! Altho I probably woulda done it at night, Temps may be too hot for my (hooman) radiator.

Your dog is awesome as always.

Top Bottom