2020 Dirt Experience : Follow the Adventures of MOBY on the 10th Annual JKX

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Moby is finally home! Thank you Motech for making the drive home so much fun! [emoji4]
final.jpg

Now it's time to get him ready for the 10th Anniversary JKX!

UPDATES
10/15/20: Tear it apart Thursday!! Cleaning out over 13 years of things that have come and gone.
attachment.php

10/18/20: Decided to upgrade Moby's original 6-button Switch Pros that was handmade and installed a decade ago with a new SP-9100. Fortunately, I was able to use one of my Switch Mounts and got it installed on to my Rock Hard cage.
attachment.php

10/18/20: So, we finally retired our old, torn, worn out and broken Bestop Trektop on Moby and instead of just replacing it with another, we decided to try something new. This is a Rugged Ridge Bowless top and... I have to say that it's surprisingly nice. For how much less they are in cost, I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing this sooner. Installation is different for sure but it is a good and tight fit.

10/20/20: Maintenance time for Moby.
attachment.php

10/21/20: If there is a downside to running a ProRock 60, it’s that you have to take the whole fricken hub and spindle apart just to replace your ball joints.
attachment.php

10/21/20: Since we already had everything apart, I decided to replace the leaky axle seal we’ve developed.
attachment.php

10/22/20: Took a couple of days to take his front hubs apart, replace axle seals, change out ball joints, re-install everything, check bolts, grease joints and rotate tires but... I’m happy to say that Moby is back on his feet again!
attachment.php

10/25/20: Got more work done on Moby yesterday and getting a little closer to being ready for the 10th Annual JKX or should I say, the all new "Dirt Experience". First and foremost, Moby is now wearing new decals highlighting the sponsors of the Dirt Experience as well as a windshield banner for it. Also, we finally got around to installing a set of KC 4" LZR A-Pillar lights to replace the big Truck-Lite driving lights that we used to have in front of the grill. Sure, there are bigger and better lights we could have installed but these are what we could get in a pinch and we really like the fact that they're small and blend into the windshield, this as opposed to sticking out like sore thumbs. Also, from our initial test of them, we found that they put out a good volume of light and do a great job of distributing it evenly and without hot spots. Anyway, here are some pics of what Moby looks like now.

10/26/20: Placed an order for a KC 10" FLEX light on Friday and it got delivered yesterday! Needless to say, I was more than happy to get it installed! It's a shame that they've been discontinued being that it really puts out a LOT of light, 4,875 lumens and in a compact package that doesn't block the grill. I should note that we purposefully bought this light in a spot beam pattern and specifically because we were going to use it with the LZR A-pillar lights. The FLEX light does a great job of shooting light beyond the headlight highbeams and the LZRs do a great job of filling everything in.

10/28/20: After installing a set of LUX Max rock lights on our Gladiator, there was no way we could attend the JKX with the old and dim lights that Moby had been running for years. Thankfully, LUX was able to get a set of their lights shipped out to us in time and that's what I installed today.

We also ordered up one of their new truck bed light kits and installed one of them under our Tuffy Security Deck to help illuminate our gear and our trail table.
20201028212249-8f938871-me.jpg

10/30/20: Click on the photo to start Following our adventures on the JKX:

JT@623

Hooked
looks like a lot of fun is being had! stop it! lol

I'm thinking my 2010 may need a makeover instead of selling it for a JT..... 2010 makeover, JL trade for JT...

dammit Moby!!

I need to go drink more and think about this :beer:

That was my thought a few months back with my 2010 needless to say its at Motech after watching the return of Moby I’m convinced it was the right choice and FYI it only took two bottles of Jameson :thumb:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
looks like a lot of fun is being had! stop it! lol

I'm thinking my 2010 may need a makeover instead of selling it for a JT..... 2010 makeover, JL trade for JT...

dammit Moby!!

I need to go drink more and think about this :beer:

That's a tough one for sure. I love our JT but the way Moby is now, he really is the best in the fleet. :crazyeyes:

Need another “Fordyce Sibling rivalry” between these two.

Indeed :thumb:

Who gets to drive who now??

So, Moby has always been Cindy's favorite. He's pretty much hers but fortunately, she lets me drive him from time to time. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Tear it apart Thursday!! Cleaning out over 13 years of things that have come and gone [emoji1303]

final.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Taking out some old wiring that isn’t needed and doing a deep clean?

Yeah, wiring unrelated to the engine. Stuff for old lights and shit I no longer use and then do clean re-wiring of things that I do still use. Also taking the time to deep clean the carpet and tub. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What fire extinguisher mount are you using on that c-pillar?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. I just used hose clamps and strapped the bracket that came with the extinguisher to the bar. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to upgrade Moby's original 6-button Switch Pros that was handmade and installed a decade ago with a new SP-9100. Fortunately, I was able to use one of my Switch Mounts and got it installed on to my Rock Hard cage. :cool:

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

Now I just gotta find some time to install accessories to fill in all the buttons. :crazyeyes:

Brute

Hooked
Heated seats...even for the passenger...nice. I have one heated seat for the driver since I usually don't have a co driver in the JK6, and often remove the seat to put the fridge there...

I just realized you haven't assigned any of the switches yet...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Heated seats...even for the passenger...nice. I have one heated seat for the driver since I usually don't have a co driver in the JK6, and often remove the seat to put the fridge there...

I just realized you haven't assigned any of the switches yet...

Actually, we've had heated MasterCraft seats for a long time. They were just connected to old school rocker switches. Needless to say, they're connected to the Switch Pros now. I also have reverse lights and rock lights so they're assigned as well. Just need to get something for the front bumper to replace the big Truck-Lite spots we had before - something smaller or lower profile. Maybe move bigger lights to the A-pillar.

Top Bottom