Considering a Big Bore Box, Some Questions

jorgelrod

Hooked
So I took the Jeep to the shop for an inspection since it has hit 107K, I Replaced a tie rod end and the draglink passenger end since they were shot and starting to cause some Death wobble issues. One of the observations and recommendations from the shop was this:

Also there is some play in the steering gear box
sector shaft it isn’t too bad right now and honestly they have some play when new it is something we should keep and eye on going
forward or there is always the option to upgrade to a PSC big bore box.

I have the Big Bore on my list of eventual upgrade so this might fall under the 2021 tax refund upgrade cycle. Question is what do I really need vs what is a nice to have. I'm not sure if I'll be going beyond 37's to one tons and 40's but I said the same about going beyond 35's. I am aware that it might be a solid choice to buy a ported unit just in case, but I know there are a lot of other options, Pumps, reservoirs, etc. I probably don't need all of it for 37's so I just want to know what would be the stuff I would need to run 37's and the rest I could order if I decide to go with 40's and one tons down the road.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
From my understanding the box alone doesn’t make a big difference, but when you pair the box with their pump is when you really notice the improvement. If you’re going to do it you might as well get the ported box for a few hundred more and also go with all of their hoses and reservoir as they’ll help the system with improved flow and the proper amount of fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve had built mine in stages over the years when it was on 37s. First was the ported big bore, it made a big difference over the stock and had the level of security of the larger sector shaft. I still had a hard time turning on rock all bound up. I then added pump and reservoir. That improved it, but not tremendously, but it was noticeable. Finally I put the ram on and it was what I had expected all along. I could turn on the rocks, moving the whole jeep if I had too. I wish I would have just done that originally. I believe that to the point that my scrambler will have the same setup when I’m done with it. If you want it to turn no matter what, get the ram with it.

Drivability is different than stock, I describe it as more responsive, others that might thinks it’s a little oversensitive if they haven’t driven a system like that. But once you are used to it, it becomes normal.

Let me know if you have any questions with it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MericaMade

I’ve had built mine in stages over the years when it was on 37s. First was the ported big bore, it made a big difference over the stock and had the level of security of the larger sector shaft. I still had a hard time turning on rock all bound up. I then added pump and reservoir. That improved it, but not tremendously, but it was noticeable. Finally I put the ram on and it was what I had expected all along. I could turn on the rocks, moving the whole jeep if I had too. I wish I would have just done that originally. I believe that to the point that my scrambler will have the same setup when I’m done with it. If you want it to turn no matter what, get the ram with it.

Drivability is different than stock, I describe it as more responsive, others that might thinks it’s a little oversensitive if they haven’t driven a system like that. But once you are used to it, it becomes normal.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

You answered my questions before I even asked. Thanks Bill for spending more of my money LOL.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have the big bore un-ported, stock pump with 35” TG’s & Slabs.... Its one of the best things I’ve done. F’n love the way it drives & wheels... if I go 37’s I’ll add the pump.. and I’m sure it will get the Job Done. I may have to reposition more on Big rocks without the Ram... but I’m ok with that.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have the big bore un-ported, stock pump with 35” TG’s & Slabs.... Its one of the best things I’ve done. F’n love the way it drives & wheels... if I go 37’s I’ll add the pump.. and I’m sure it will get the Job Done. I may have to reposition more on Big rocks without the Ram... but I’m ok with that.

There’s nothing worse than your spotter saying more driver and your steering wheel says no. The ram solves that dilemma

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

There’s nothing worse than your spotter saying more driver and your steering wheel says no. The ram solves that dilemma

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

While it solves the immediate dilemma, it does so at the expense of forcing all of the components. The ram don't care if the wheel is in a bind, it will turn it, and if the bind is severe, something will bend or break to make way. You don't get much in the way of feedback that it's in a bind, so its hard to turn "easy".

I'm not saying rams are bad, but want to point out there is a downside, and especially with an axle still using unit bearings, as they do not like the side load induced by the ram.

Myself, I would rather reposition and go again than to eat a set of unit bearings after a few hard trails.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is up to 37s can be done with just the big bore, and the pump and lines upgrade.

I currently have the big bore, but not the pump and lines, and ut is much better than stock, plus I have peace of mind that I'm not likely going to break it, or anything else With it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I personally have been debating this. I have a ported box (needs a rebuild from psc) and a ram sitting in the shed waiting for me to install it but have been considering just doing the big bore and maybe the pump. I daily my Jeep way more than I wheel and I think the big bore is enough for when I do.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I personally have been debating this. I have a ported box (needs a rebuild from psc) and a ram sitting in the shed waiting for me to install it but have been considering just doing the big bore and maybe the pump. I daily my Jeep way more than I wheel and I think the big bore is enough for when I do.

While it solves the immediate dilemma, it does so at the expense of forcing all of the components. The ram don't care if the wheel is in a bind, it will turn it, and if the bind is severe, something will bend or break to make way. You don't get much in the way of feedback that it's in a bind, so its hard to turn "easy".

I'm not saying rams are bad, but want to point out there is a downside, and especially with an axle still using unit bearings, as they do not like the side load induced by the ram.

Myself, I would rather reposition and go again than to eat a set of unit bearings after a few hard trails.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is up to 37s can be done with just the big bore, and the pump and lines upgrade.

I currently have the big bore, but not the pump and lines, and ut is much better than stock, plus I have peace of mind that I'm not likely going to break it, or anything else With it.

I do agree Jerry, and I probably went thru a set of unit bearings a season because of it. Full disclosure this was all done on a Fusion 4x4 60/44 hybrid with a 1 ton tie rod and drag link, so other than the unit bearings, everything was significantly upgraded over stock.

I daily drove mine for about 20k with the Ram and had 0 issues.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

My setup may not have been quite the same as others. But I’ve ran hydro assist in the past on my daily and I personally wouldn’t do it again for every day driving. Pulling into parking spots, parallel parking, quick correcting, over correcting for drifting in dirt, etc were all a little slower and sometimes even tough to do with any speed. I’ve heard differing stories from others, and obviously Moby has assist and no issues in the speed department. Just something to think about.

BaddestCross

My setup may not have been quite the same as others. But I’ve ran hydro assist in the past on my daily and I personally wouldn’t do it again for every day driving. Pulling into parking spots, parallel parking, quick correcting, over correcting for drifting in dirt, etc were all a little slower and sometimes even tough to do with any speed. I’ve heard differing stories from others, and obviously Moby has assist and no issues in the speed department. Just something to think about.

The ram is one of my favorite upgrades. No doubt you have to be more aware when bound up, but there is no substitute on the rocks.

For daily driving, once you get used to the responsiveness, it's no problem. I *finally* got my new pulley for the pump (thanks Bubba [emoji23]) and hopefully that will correct the non-responsive parking issue.

After having the ram, there's no way I wouldn't install it again if I ever build another Jeep.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
The ram is one of my favorite upgrades. No doubt you have to be more aware when bound up, but there is no substitute on the rocks.

For daily driving, once you get used to the responsiveness, it's no problem. I *finally* got my new pulley for the pump (thanks Bubba [emoji23]) and hopefully that will correct the non-responsive parking issue.

After having the ram, there's no way I wouldn't install it again if I ever build another Jeep.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Good to hear! I plan on getting the full system with the ported box. I may even try a ram on it at some point and see how I feel about it again. That way at least it wouldn’t be much of a loss if I take the ram back off.

A.J.

I have the big bore box not ported and no ram 38’s. There are occasional times in big rocks where the ram would be helpful. I just like things simple. No extra hoses/fittings to worry about. I do recommend running a power steering cooler though. Heat sink style fits nicely on the bottom support just behind the lower portion of the grill.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

jorgelrod

Hooked

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

This is what I'm considering, Piece mealing it as my needs grow...

I'm on this same boat, I daily my Jeep way more than what I wheel it.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

I do agree Jerry, and I probably went thru a set of unit bearings a season because of it. Full disclosure this was all done on a Fusion 4x4 60/44 hybrid with a 1 ton tie rod and drag link, so other than the unit bearings, everything was significantly upgraded over stock.

I daily drove mine for about 20k with the Ram and had 0 issues.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I have to say, that's a pretty good set up. Thanks again Bill!

I just wanted to throw out another viewpoint for people trying to make the decision.

I'm still on the fence, and may add the ram in, since all I need are the clamps and hoses, but I'm not sure yet.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have to say, that's a pretty good set up. Thanks again Bill!

I just wanted to throw out another viewpoint for people trying to make the decision.

I'm still on the fence, and may add the ram in, since all I need are the clamps and hoses, but I'm not sure yet.

Glad your putting them to work!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

rockwell

I have the Big Bore, PSC pump and lines. I’d say with my 37’s that took care of 80% of my steering needs, a ram would take care of the rest

Weebz

Caught the Bug

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

There are no truer words than this. There is also nothing more frustrating than knowing what you want and need to do and simply can’t. I’ve bent my drag link trying before I made the switch.

Top Bottom