Broken factory LCarm mount

WJCO

Meme King
That blows. Front? Rear? Which side? What's the build date on your door sticker? The early models did have some poor welds at brackets.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Not too my knowledge. Been hit many times. Drove out to Moab end of September. Didn’t wheel that hard because of wiring of FAD was intermittently bad (see other thread🙄).
Drive back to Pa and have only been street driving. Put on inner fenders and fender chop over weekend. Put 37’s back on. To and fro from work (8miles 1 way) heard squeaking on pass side on decel. Had wife wiggle steering wheel aggressively and I saw the large crack. It is unsafe to drive.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
That’s crazy, glad you caught it before something more serious happened

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Tell me about it. At times we were doing 90 on RT 70 comin back from Moab. I was planning to call dealer in the morning. Fuck it. My buddy coming over and he is going to weld it. Unless one of you gives me good reason as to not do that. I have never heard of dealer removing frame brackets and than welding on new ones. So...what exactly would they tell me?:dont_know:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
That’s crazy, glad you caught it before something more serious happened

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Tell me about it. At times we were doing 90 on RT 70 comin back from Moab. I was planning to call dealer in the morning. Fuck it. My buddy coming over and he is going to weld it. Unless one of you gives me good reason as to not do that. I have never heard of dealer removing frame brackets and than welding on new ones. So...what exactly would they tell me?:dont_know:

Ddays

Hooked
I would take that to the dealer and have that documented. I would want that under my vehicle profile with them just in case you need to refer back to that in the future. Possible lemon law issues or just because.

WJCO

Meme King

I would recommend taking it in first or taking tons of photos. Just so it shows maximum effort on your part to get it fixed by fca. Just so they can officially document it. Other than replacement of the frame, they'll sublet it for welding anyways. Whichever route you take, at least parts replacement won't be required (unless it's a frame). If you do decide to weld it, drop the arm so you don't fry that bushing.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Now may be the time to replace bracket's with beefier ones. The picture doesn't show it, but in my opinion, the ears on the mount that are below the frame that always get hit are what caused this. The pass side ears were curled up pretty bad, and where those welds are under the frame, (only about an inch long btw) separated; which than caused excessive movement on the bracket. The bracket then started to give and crack at it's most stressed area. Me thinks this is not so much a factory error, but the nature of wheeling hard. Any low point is going to get hammered and eventually break. Hence...taking to dealer will only cause me frustration and a lack of a vehicle. I WILL take more pictures this afternoon once we get into it.
I appreciate what some of you recommended about taking to dealer for at the very least documenting. IMO it is moot. Not a factory defect. I digress.

Who is making proper brackets for the JL? Artec has videos on YouTube, but I do not see them on their site. I messaged them.
Artec aside, have any of you replaced your mounts, either because they broke, or you were be pre-emptive?

Ddays

Hooked
Now may be the time to replace bracket's with beefier ones. The picture doesn't show it, but in my opinion, the ears on the mount that are below the frame that always get hit are what caused this. The pass side ears were curled up pretty bad, and where those welds are under the frame, (only about an inch long btw) separated; which than caused excessive movement on the bracket. The bracket then started to give and crack at it's most stressed area. Me thinks this is not so much a factory error, but the nature of wheeling hard. Any low point is going to get hammered and eventually break. Hence...taking to dealer will only cause me frustration and a lack of a vehicle. I WILL take more pictures this afternoon once we get into it.
I appreciate what some of you recommended about taking to dealer for at the very least documenting. IMO it is moot. Not a factory defect. I digress.

Who is making proper brackets for the JL? Artec has videos on YouTube, but I do not see them on their site. I messaged them.
Artec aside, have any of you replaced your mounts, either because they broke, or you were be pre-emptive?

Might as well go big

http://evomfg.com/EVO-MFG-Products/...JL-JLU-GAS-Suspension-Upgrades?product_id=380

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Bracket welded up. Drives like it did when I bought it now. Once I get welds grinded and painted I'll post pics.
Here are pictures of driver side for reference. All welds good and bracket not too deformed...yet.

IMG_4010.jpg
IMG_4011.jpg

Here are pics after beating bracket lower ears enough to get them to mate to the bottom of the frame and grinded for welding.

IMG_4012.jpg
IMG_4013.jpg

Big crack not grinded yet. This picture was taken before any welding. Wanted to weld bottom part first, than close crack with arm in place.
IMG_4014.jpg
IMG_4015.jpg

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

More rust at the bottom than the top. Maybe you cracked it a while ago & it finally all snapped? I’d hope there’d be a good story with a break like that!

Top Bottom