DIY: TJ Heated Seats and Cushion Repair

I’ve been asked a few times from my last Jeep how to do this and this is pretty universal to most seats so now that it’s time to do the new Jeep here we go...

Things needed:
Heated seat kit-
Kit I've used in a few cars and am happy with, Has High and Low function
https://www.amazon.com/WATERCARBON-Carbon-Fiber-Heater-Setting/dp/B008D2LIRG/

“Add a fuse” wire
https://www.amazon.com/Micro2-Blade-Fuse-Holder-circuit/dp/B08DLXWTQY/
1/2” socket
T45
Hog ring pliers
Hog rings
https://www.amazon.com/Tamwell-Ring-Pliers-Galvanized-Rings/dp/B086K3PQSW
End cutters
General wiring know how

Cushion / Bolster repair:
3M Super 77 Spray glue
Fabric backing
1/2” upholstery foam
Scissors

Remove seats from Jeep 3 1/2” bolts and 1 T45. Unplug the driver seat belt connector under seat before you remove it and break the connector.

Seat tear down:
62481908113__22E1A2B0-8E27-48FD-9EC5-3D65FF16D105.jpg

Unbolt the seat belt point t45 and move out of your way
IMG_9476.jpg

From underneath you can see there are 2 long plastic hooks and the side with the back lean lever has two clips, pop them off.
Tip- If too tight put some weight on the cushion to get some slack.
IMG_9477.jpg
IMG_9479.jpg

Remove the back of the seat 3 1/2” bolts. On the seatbelt side of the seat there is a black plastic washer that goes between the brackets don’t lose it.
IMG_9480.jpg

On that same side there is also a steel wire that just sticks in the bracket, carefully remove.
IMG_9482.jpg

On the lever side there is a zipper that’s folded inside the seat pull it out and unzip to get to the bolts
IMG_9483.jpg
Bolt locations, lift up flap to get access to the lower one.
IMG_9481.jpg

When removing back of seat the lean lever comes with gently pull the lever through its hole.
IMG_9485.jpg

Set the back aside
IMG_9486.jpg

Base cushion cover needs to be completely removed, do this by “unrolling” the cover from the bottom inside out. Push down on the corners of the foam to get more slack, go slow don’t force it.
IMG_9489.jpg

Hog ring explanation: inside both the cover and the foam cushion there are metal rods, these are held together by little rings bent around both of them to remove them you cut the ring, NOT the rod. Pro tip- close your eyes when you snip they’re flyers.
On the bottom back of the cushion there are two or three here
IMG_9490.jpg

On the top of the cushion there are 6 stuck down deep into the cushion slots. Two on each side. You can gently pull back on the foam to see down and get access to cut the rings.
IMG_9491.jpg
IMG_9492.jpg
IMG_9493.jpg

You can then remove the cover.
IMG_9494.jpg

If your cushions are in good shape you can skip down past this section, mine needed attention.
IMG_9500.jpg

As you can tell the driver seat was pretty worn especially on the bolster from getting in and out.
IMG_9501.jpg
IMG_9502.jpg
IMG_9504.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
First you need to reinforce the foam with the spray glue and the fabric backing.
Spray the glue inside the crack on both sides wait a minute or so while it gets tacky and THEN stick them together and hold, don’t stick together wet you want both sides sticky when they touch.

Next cut a piece of fabric to reinforce the foam and hold it together. Use a liberal amount of spray glue on the cushion and some on the fabric, again wait until tacky then hold in place
IMG_9510.jpg
Repeat as necessary to fix all problem areas making sure to push the fabric down to follow the contours of the cushion.
IMG_9511.jpg

Cut a piece of the upholstery foam to the rough size of the base it’ll get trimmed so don’t try too hard.
IMG_9512.jpg

You need to cut the slots for the seat cover to fit down
IMG_9514.jpg

And then so you don’t get any weird lines or wrinkles showing when you’re done, continue those cuts forward to match the design of the seat cover.
IMG_9515.jpg
IMG_9540.jpg

Take your time gluing these in place as you want them to fit as natural as possible. Use some of the fabric backing to connect pieces on corners if it makes it easier.
IMG_9516.jpg

Trim the foam to the outside edge of the seat on the sides and I did roughly half way down on the front. Remember you’ll eventually have to clip the seat cover back on so keep that in mind with how much foam you add.
IMG_9517.jpg

Now that the cushion is done time to install the heat pads, you can cut these to fit as much as you want but for this seat they’re super easy, there’s a gap where you can cut a single slice for the cover to stick down through as shown.
IMG_9518.jpg

Make sure you install these with the sticky tape facing down.

On the seat cover you can remove the Metal bar and stick the sleeve through the slit in the heater and then stick the bar back through as shown you may need to trim the edges to make fit properly.
IMG_9519.jpg

Now it’s time to rebuild. Shove that bar as close to the bar in the slot as you can get it and while pushing down attach a hog ring around both of them nice and tight in at least two spots.
IMG_9520.jpg

Now that the center bar is installed remove the cover on the tape and stick to the cushion front and back, leave the wire dangling for now
IMG_9521.jpg
IMG_9522.jpg

Now do the remaining hog rings on the sides pulling the fabric of the center cushion taught.
IMG_9523.jpg

Place the cushion back onto the Metal base if you removed it to work on and unroll the cover over the cushion avoiding wrinkles. If you start getting wrinkles pull back up and start unrolling again making sure the cover is taught.
IMG_9524.jpg
Reinstall the hog rings on the bottom at the back, leaving the heater wire dangling.
IMG_9532.jpg

Easy part, grab the back and unclip the bottom, then trim your heater to fit
IMG_9475.jpg
IMG_9525.jpg
IMG_9526.jpg
These are actually perfect size for the backs I didn’t even bother using the tape, shove them into place with a yardstick per if you have skinny arms. Make sure they lay flat.
IMG_9527.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_9528.jpg

Cut a small X on the bottom center where you want the wire to come out and then reclip the cover together.
IMG_9529.jpg
IMG_9530.jpg

On the base cut a small x where you want it to run through as well
IMG_9531.jpg

Pull the wire through and keep together, rebuild chair reverse of taking apart.
IMG_9532.jpg

Repeat for other chair.
IMG_9538.jpg

Last edited:
Wiring and mounting the switch. Find a nice clean spot for the switches. Drill the holes pop them in, I epoxy the back sides because the plastic clips get tired after awhile and I like to only do jobs once.
IMG_9544.jpg

Clean all the trail off.
IMG_9545.jpg

IMG_9546.jpg
IMG_9547.jpg
IMG_9548.jpg

Alternate mounting location, TJ's have a few differing pieces over the years.
5.jpg

Route your wires and mount your relay boxes somewhere they won’t get in the way. Zip ties are your friends. Mark one of the sides with paint marker or sharpie so you don’t mix them up later.
IMG_9549.jpg
IMG_9550.jpg
IMG_9551.jpg

IMG_9553.jpg
IMG_9554.jpg
IMG_9555.jpg

Reinstall seats hook the wires up. Make sure to keep them away from sliding parts.
IMG_9556.jpg

Run the power wires forward under carpet and up into dash by fuse panel, wrap together. Install onto the add a fuse, plug in to a keyed source so you don’t forget and kill your battery.
IMG_9557.jpg
IMG_9558.jpg

And enjoy!
IMG_9562.jpg
IMG_9563.jpg

In case you’re wondering how much draw they have.

Off, engine not running
IMG_9559.jpg
On, engine not running.
IMG_9561.jpg

Running there’s no change, they use soo little.
IMG_9565.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up. Upholstery sucks major donkey balls.
Its not too bad, beats welding frames. As long as I don't have to do detail work on upholstery I'm happy. Spray gluing things is pretty easy haha. Did the same job to a set of OEM Recaro seats once, that was a pain, tiny ass clips, support bars everywhere.

Solid write up. That's quite a process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

The heated seats only take about 2 hours to do really. It’s not terrible. Fixing the cushions added a trip to a fabric store and a couple hours. Just because it’s a Jeep doesn’t mean it can’t have nice things!

Elroy231

The heated seats only take about 2 hours to do really. It’s not terrible. Fixing the cushions added a trip to a fabric store and a couple hours. Just because it’s a Jeep doesn’t mean it can’t have nice things!

Are the seats installed in your jeep again? Working good?
Jeeps deserve some of the finer things in life as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom