Noise in front end - bad u-joints?

Colorado4x4

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help if you know what this sound might be? I’m hearing it on both driver and passenger front tires as they rotate. I can’t really hear it while driving unless I make a hard left turn at full steering lock. I don’t believe it is bad unit bearings as there is no play in and out when I push on the top of the tire. It sounds louder at the wheel end but is it something in the ring and pinion? The sound happens on both tires spinning forward and backwards. I’m going to go out now with a screwdriver as a stethoscope to see where it sounds louder. I would appreciate any advice you the experts can give me! Thank you!

I tried to upload the video file but it is too big.
https://youtu.be/EF6Z1yr2O5k

BobNH

If you think axle joints, just grab a big set of channel locks and see if you can wiggle the axle shaft in the drive amd revers direction to check for play.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Colorado4x4

I can’t really see any play at the axle shaft u-joints but it feels like the pop is coming from the inner axle shaft ear. I can’t really feel it on the outer ear. Im going to pull the diff cover and make sure the spider gear looks normal.

MericaMade

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help if you know what this sound might be? I’m hearing it on both driver and passenger front tires as they rotate. I can’t really hear it while driving unless I make a hard left turn at full steering lock. I don’t believe it is bad unit bearings as there is no play in and out when I push on the top of the tire. It sounds louder at the wheel end but is it something in the ring and pinion? The sound happens on both tires spinning forward and backwards. I’m going to go out now with a screwdriver as a stethoscope to see where it sounds louder. I would appreciate any advice you the experts can give me! Thank you!

I tried to upload the video file but it is too big.
https://youtu.be/EF6Z1yr2O5k

Any gear work done lately?

Colorado4x4

Not in the last year or so. I had hell with a shop in town changing axle seals twice and kept having leaks. Then my front locker wouldn’t actuate. I then took the axle to a differential shop in Denver and he had to put a new locker plunger in because the shitty shop bent it. It hasn’t been making any noise up until a wheeling trip this weekend (that I know of). The weird thing is I don’t see any play in the axle shaft u-joint but I can feel something on the axle side shaft. Probably spider gear or something else is jacked in my diff.

Colorado4x4

I just disconnected the front driveshaft at the pinion flange and the noise is the same. So that rules out transfer case and driveshaft joints. I’m betting it’s spider gears. Any other thoughts? Good gears shouldn’t make a noise like that should they?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Does it still make the noise if the front axle is on stands and the wheels are off the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Colorado4x4

Does it still make the noise if the front axle is on stands and the wheels are off the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Yes it does. I raised the rear and spun it and couldn’t hear any clunking or odd gear noise, so I assume the noise I hear in the front is not normal. I just grabbed some RTV and I’m going to pull the cover and see if there is any foolishness happening in the front diff

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
check the hubs (front unit bearings), with wheels off, rotate the hubs by hand; if they spin with a gritty feel, time to replace them.

Once you get the wheels off you may notice more play in them as well which means replacement

Last edited:

Colorado4x4

check the hubs (front unit bearings), with wheels off, rotate the hubs by hand; if they spin with a gritty feel, time to replace them.

Once you get the wheels off you may notice more play in them as well which means replacement

Thanks jeeeep. I will do that next. I pulled the front diff cover and everything looked ok in there other than a lot of wear. 15K miles since I last changed the fluid. No broken teeth on the ring or pinion. Nothing looked out of place but the wear was more than I would think is good. All the metal compressed out to a paste by hand. As far as the sound goes, it is coming from the wheel end so I will pull the wheels off and see. Thanks!

Attachments

• B680B988-5074-4311-9B7A-1528AAAF7DDE.jpeg
    B680B988-5074-4311-9B7A-1528AAAF7DDE.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 10CCEC3A-5750-4A89-808C-828E028C1F52.jpeg
    10CCEC3A-5750-4A89-808C-828E028C1F52.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 0DBB9026-8F43-4DF8-BA7F-016AA6BE4620.jpeg
    0DBB9026-8F43-4DF8-BA7F-016AA6BE4620.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom