Working on an old 1965 J3000 Gladiator

Bassfisher

My dad bought this truck in 2000. I used it as my local fishing vehicle until about 2006, after which it got parked.
I went to fetch it at the end of 2019 and started working on it. Slowly. I really only got to it in August this year. Busy taking it all apart to change color and also weld in new metal pieces where the body is badly rusted.

Voor  skoon.jpg
This was about in 2006

Op wa regs.jpg
When I went to get it.

voor sonder bullbar.jpg
Started stripping - bullbar of

Agter lens nuur.jpg
Had new rear lenses made. Only had one. So used this to make molds to make 3 new lenses. One as a spare.

Bak voor stuk uit 4.jpg Bak tuis agter.jpg
New piece on front of loadbin where it was rusted away.

Chassis agter vuil 1.jpg
Chassis still ditry

Chassis agter bakkie liner.jpg
Chassis sanded and sprayed

Cab gelig.jpg
Busy on chassis below cab

I am currently busy to weld some new pieces of 3mm sheet into the loadbin. Also going the route of power steering as Kavanji did.

Hard work, but it will be all worth it in the end, I hope...

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
My dad bought this truck in 2000. I used it as my local fishing vehicle until about 2006, after which it got parked.
I went to fetch it at the end of 2019 and started working on it. Slowly. I really only got to it in August this year. Busy taking it all apart to change color and also weld in new metal pieces where the body is badly rusted.

I am currently busy to weld some new pieces of 3mm sheet into the loadbin. Also going the route of power steering as Kavanji did.

Hard work, but it will be all worth it in the end, I hope...

Welcome to Wayalife. That thing is beautiful. What color are you changing it to?

Bassfisher

Thanks. I am going to make it a khaki color. Not sure if that is even a color in USA ;)

In south Africa many Toyota Land Cruisers are a khaki color. I wanted a khaki one when I bought my LC in 2008, but couldn't find one at that time. End up buying a white one. So, the J3000 will be that color. Might be called "sand" color in USA. And its going to be sprayed with Raptor coating.

Pictures or the Toyota's with this color in this link
https://www.google.com/search?q=kha...BAgKEEY&biw=1920&bih=981#imgrc=Ad6-URoW7DZIrM

Bassfisher

Thanks for the possitive replies guys. Yes it is a project that I am looking forward to be finished so that I can drive to the shops on a Sunday to buy milk and bread, and the odd other trip.

Looking forward in seeing peoples response to it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That’s a pretty awesome project. I’m looking forward to seeing the progress on it. [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bassfisher

7c704986-4b95-4649-addc-49afe1608fbf.jpg

Engine and manifold sprayed with heat resistant paint. Handed the brake shoes in for new linings also today. Also handed in the break slave cylinders, hope they can get the pistons inside loose, clean etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom