Metal in Rear 44 Gear Oil Leads to Upgrades!

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Next weekend I am heading to Southern Missouri Off-Road (SMOR) to begin my Badge of Honor chase. So last weekend I changed the oil - it was just about due - and changed my gear oil in my differentials for the first time since I bought the Jeep 3 months ago and after 4,500 miles of driving - since I did not know when/if the diff fluid had ever been changed. The front differential went well once I got a pump to push the fluid where I could not get the bottle to reach. No big deal! Then came the rear... I noticed a decent amount of metal shavings. Uh oh! So I pulled the cover and found what many others have found - damaged spider gears in the limited slip carrier. The damage is not nearly as bad as most I have seen. About 4-5 teeth had portions of the tip of the tooth - but none of the body/lower portions - broken off.

I complained about this on our Jeep Clubs Facebook page and got the following offer from a fellow Jeeper I trust - I won't tell you how truly amazing of a deal I received, but it was HUGE! (Like less than the cost of one of the axles housings huge!):
1. Front and Rear Rubicon Takeoff D44 Axles with Lockers with 36k well maintained miles on them - complete hub to hub;
2. 4:10 Gears Installed - just the ones I wanted to replace my 3:21's or whatever they are;
3. Stock Rubicon Driveshafts (Front and Rear);
4. JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar;
5. JKS Front Swaybar Quick Disconnects;
6. BDS 2.5" Springs - currently rolling at stock height with "33's" (285-70R17) but dreaming of 35's; and
7. Fox 2.0 Shocks and Steering Stabilizer!

I will not be able to install anything until I get back. I do intend to take it very very very careful and only run the two Badge of Honor trails as I want some time to prepare before installing all of these parts. So I can't grenade the rear end while 7 hours from home and hopefully several months away from install of all the new parts!

To this end, while I have the axles out of the Jeep, what are the critical things you would suggest upgrading before installation of all of these parts?

My Thoughts:
1. Artec Trusses;
2. HD Rear Track Bar to Match Front;
3. Dynatrac Ball Joints;
4. Chromoly Axles and New U-Joints on Axles and Driveshafts; and
5. HD Tie-Rod's.

Eventually I want to install some Core4X4 Tier 4 Control Arms, but did not think it critical for the initial installation as these will take me some time to save for...

My Jeep:
2012 JK 2 Door Sport
285-70-17 Dueller A/T Revo's on Stock Rims
Otherwise stock...

What say you, fellow Jeepers??

Thanks!

Scott

jesse3638

Hooked
Sounds like a good start however I wouldn't waste the time or money to truss the stock axles. Chro-mo shafts front and rear (w/ full circle clips up front), I went with Revolution due to them being made in the USA and offering a lifetime warranty on them, including bent flanges and u-joints, since you're replacing the ball joints install some c-gussets. Also I'd hold off on the rear HD track bar as many run stock with no issues. Unless the u-joints on the DS seem worn I wouldn't bother replacing them. Just save for new 1350 double cardin driveshafts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
First off, welcome from Detroit

What size tires do you hope to end up running?
Like what Jessie said, looking into Revolution for the shafts. Very strong snd great warranty.

Those rubicon take offs can easily run 35s as is. If you want to go to 37s, I’d truss and c gusset the front. 37s bent my front housing.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Last edited:

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Thank you both for your responses, and thanks for the welcome! I have been on here for a month but have really only been drooling over the "What I Did to My Jeep Today" thread! I have noted the Revolution shafts, thanks!

To your question, my super long game is to retire to the wilds of Colorado in 8-10 years. At that point the JK will no longer be a true Daily Driver as it is now, and will undergo a more significant upgrade to the engine, trans, and axles. So, really, this setup needs to last 8-10 years, if possible; however, I want to run all the Badge of Honor trails during that time so...

While the Jeep is still my DD I would like to run 35s, but probably no larger due to it being cost prohibitive (c.f., MPG, cost of tires, etc.) and that I like the look of 35s on a 2 door. When on or off the road I am not hard on my equipment, for what its worth.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thank you both for your responses, and thanks for the welcome! I have been on here for a month but have really only been drooling over the "What I Did to My Jeep Today" thread! I have noted the Revolution shafts, thanks!

To your question, my super long game is to retire to the wilds of Colorado in 8-10 years. At that point the JK will no longer be a true Daily Driver as it is now, and will undergo a more significant upgrade to the engine, trans, and axles. So, really, this setup needs to last 8-10 years, if possible; however, I want to run all the Badge of Honor trails during that time so...

While the Jeep is still my DD I would like to run 35s, but probably no larger due to it being cost prohibitive (c.f., MPG, cost of tires, etc.) and that I like the look of 35s on a 2 door. When on or off the road I am not hard on my equipment, for what its worth.

Then I think you are good with the rubi take offs, Revolution shafts and a good 2.5-3” lift. Save your money for the driveshafts and adjustable control arms.

Good luck with the build [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Slimebones

I have personally run with the rubi axles with c-gussets now for close to 90k miles. Added the Revolution axle shafts a couple years ago with no issues. Good idea to use the ball joints you suggested so you don't waste time replacing them again over and over. Keep in mind most people wish they had gone bigger sooner or later. Sounds like you have a solid plan though.
Take it easy on your current set up, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding wishing to go bigger; I have every intention of doing so, but not until I join you in Colorado - probably the Fairplay/Buena Vista area - in 8-10 years. At that time, I will install the 450HP/450TQ LS I am building, a better transmission, and an Atlas Transfer Case. I MAY do the transfer case before I jump to D60s, but otherwise I do not plan to do so until the Jeep is no longer my DD. At that time I will probably switch to 37-40 inch tires to make up for the lost ground clearance to the differentials... The current solution is meant to "get me by" until then as I hone my skills with the Jeep while it is in a less capable format making me get better at choosing my line and bypassing obstacles I might otherwise attempt if I was already rolling on 40s with D60s. I figure the Jeep's longevity will be benefited in this way especially as I "cut my teeth" and gain familiarity with the Jeep's limitations before dramatically reducing said limitations.

Thanks again!

JDE22

What dates are you going to SMORR? I'm in K.C. and would be interested in meeting up if you want company...Only problem is if you are going the weekend of OCT 31st I wouldn't be able to make it.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
What dates are you going to SMORR? I'm in K.C. and would be interested in meeting up if you want company...Only problem is if you are going the weekend of OCT 31st I wouldn't be able to make it.

Crap! We’re going to be down there Friday the 30th and Saturday the 31st!

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
We made it down, through, and back! What a blast!

It is often said that some trails at SMORR get more difficult after the rain. The day before we arrived we were told they received 7.5 inches of rain at SMORR. Trail #1 for us was Pee Wee's Crossing. The creek was alive with water - typically at least 6 inches and some spots had around 20 inches or more! Our first mistake was going at sunset. This left us doing most of the trail in the dark without auxiliary lighting and really wishing I had not been a "lockers before lights" believer! Given the rain, it was often impossible to tell how deep most holes in the creek were, and very often it was difficult to know what was a pass-around and what was a more advanced obstacle. It was one such situation that had me drive my stock JK on 33's off of a 2 foot ledge! For a minute I only had my front two tires on the ground as I balanced on my two front tires at an angle that nearly flopped us us over on the top. I hit the brakes and then immediately let it roll forward a bit on the front tires causing the rear tires to come down on solid ground again.

My buddy who was in his JKU saw this and decided on another line. His ultimately ended up leaving his passenger side side-mirror in the trunk and his JKU wedged between two trees. It was now 6:15, we were at nearly the back of the park, and the office closed at 7:00 cutting us off from what we believed was any chance of a recovery assist for my buddy's Jeep. I had him and his lady hop in mine and we finished Pee Wee's. Then we hit the big hill coming out of the bottoms in the middle west section of the park... It is about a 200 yard climb up and you had to follow a meandering line around some massive ruts while maintaining forward momentum. It was intense!

We got back to the office before 7:00 and an amazing gentleman, Ted, and his faithful sidekick hound DD (short for Damn Dog), agreed to give us a hand. We loaded up in Ted's previously rolled Explorer with a winch, 32" nearly bald tires, and at stock height and began our way back to find the stranded JKU while Ted told us of all the wildlife in the park including a rather intimidating but harmless female black bear! After some searching we found the JKU and began trying to angle the Explorer up against a tree as an anchor point to allow us to extricate the JKU from the trees. We were successful and ultimately made it through Pee Wee's and back to camp! What a blast!

The next day we had a much less eventful trip down Guardrail, and enjoyed some of the other easier trails in the park. We will definitely be making numerous more trips down to SMORR! Fantastic facilities, incredibly nice people, awesome little community of Seymour nearby, and just some phenomenal trails! We were literally the only stock Jeeps there! Some of the rigs we saw baffled the mind.

To close out the thread, I will be picking up the new parts next weekend and will begin building up the Jeep using the guidance you all have kindly provided. To be honest, what we encountered on Pee Wee's was what I was hoping we would build up to over the course of the 8 year or so journey I described in this thread. I am amazed by the capabilities of Jeeps given that we made it through what was my ultimate goal of difficulty and did so in stock form! I cannot even imagine what the Jeep will be capable of when I get it built like I have envisioned!

Thanks again for your comments! Very glad my JK made it through without any damage or breakdowns!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Edit: Glad you had a good trip to SMORR it’s a great park!

Congrats on the updates. I don’t believe Rubicon driveshafts are different than Sport driveshafts.

In regards to axle shafts, I wouldn’t really rush to change them out and I would not waste the time or money on a truss.

I would, however, weld on some c-gussets and front lower control arm skids. I’d also think heavily about better Diff covers (Ruff stuff and poison spyder are good and inexpensive).

Lastly, if you have the time and bush ant to ease your burden later, put some new ball joints and unit bearings in. Those are replacement items, similar to brake pads and rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Edit: Glad you had a good trip to SMORR it’s a great park!

Congrats on the updates. I don’t believe Rubicon driveshafts are different than Sport driveshafts.

In regards to axle shafts, I wouldn’t really rush to change them out and I would not waste the time or money on a truss.

I would, however, weld on some c-gussets and front lower control arm skids. I’d also think heavily about better Diff covers (Ruff stuff and poison spyder are good and inexpensive).

Lastly, if you have the time and bush ant to ease your burden later, put some new ball joints and unit bearings in. Those are replacement items, similar to brake pads and rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Thanks for the feedback! Great call on the unit bearings. I honestly had not even thought about them until you said something! I definitely plan to add all the parts you suggested.

Top Bottom