Rock Light Advice

rwjso

I'm new here and to Jeep and want to add rock lights to my JL. I've been looking and see large difference in price, colors, function, Bluetooth, brightness but I'm sure some are not good. It's easy to get lost in all of that plus marketing that isn't so accurate to real world use. I thought I could ask here for your opinions or experience with them? If you have the time please let me know your recommended lights or what to stay away from. I'm not interested in all those colors, white is just fine, but I wonder if they are bright enough or if brighter would be better. Or if more than one brightness would be good to have in a light? I think waterproof is necessary, not just water resistant. Are there other things to be aware of? Thank you!

wjtstudios

Hooked
You missed it by a couple weeks but Eddie secured us a 15% discount on LUX rock lights. They are a great product and are held in place by magnets. Super bright

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
KC Cyclones are bright and waterproof. They have a six light kit with brackets, but I made my own kit using eight. I mounted them on magnets, so they can be positioned easily. For example, the bumper mounted lights can be moved to the inside of the bumpers when not in use. I got the magnet idea from LUX lights, which look like a very nice product too. IMG_3230.jpg IMG_3231.jpg E64F37BF-05FE-4820-A452-2309158C5FF6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
KC Cyclones are bright and waterproof. They have a six light kit, but I made my own kit using eight. I mounted them on magnets, so they could be positioned easily. For example, the bumper mounted lights can be moved to the inside of the bumper when not in use. I got the magnet idea from LUX lights, which look like a very nice product too. View attachment 355594 View attachment 355595 View attachment 355596

Those were such great shots

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

CalSgt

Hooked
KC Cyclones are bright and waterproof. They have a six light kit with brackets, but I made my own kit using eight. I mounted them on magnets, so they can be positioned easily. For example, the bumper mounted lights can be moved to the inside of the bumpers when not in use. I got the magnet idea from LUX lights, which look like a very nice product too.

X2 for KC Cyclones, I also did not buy a kit and just made my own using 6 lights and bolted them up to the body using aluminum strap to make brackets to aim them exactly where i wanted.

asset.php.jpeg
IMG_2810.jpg

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’ve been very happy with my LUX lights. They are super easy to install, waterproof, and really bright.
IMG_5597.jpg IMG_5598.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
X3 on the LUX. If you're electrically challenged then the LUX Pro Installer box is handy and makes it a breeze. Rigid makes a nice set of lights too but they're very spendy. Can't go wrong on the cyclones either.

rwjso

Lots of great photos and info, thanks.

Those magnet installed lights look nice, good to be able to easily adjust position if don't get it right the first time, or like mentioned on the bumper, only bring the lights out to a new location when using them, then store away when not in use to get best position.

Those Lux lights say they are the brightest but don't say how bright, others say this also. Others tell you the lumens brightness of their lights and that number can be compared to other lights with lumen numbers. Kind of like shopping for a mattress, no one uses the same setup so impossible to compare to other brand or to get some value of the price. So how do you REALLY know who is the brightest? Are the lights brightness good, too bright, or brighter would be better? I kind of think some sort of brightness adjuster would be good depending on how or when you're using them. Do they have brightness adjusters?

Those magnet installed lights look nice, good to be able to easily adjust position if don't get it right the first time, or like mentioned on the bumper, only bring the lights out to a new location when using them, then store away when not in use to get best position.

Those Lux lights say they are the brightest but don't say how bright, others say this also. Others tell you the lumens brightness of their lights and that number can be compared to other lights with lumen numbers. Kind of like shopping for a mattress, no one uses the same setup so impossible to compare to other brand or to get some value of the price. So how do you REALLY know who is the brightest? Are the lights brightness good, too bright, or brighter would be better? I kind of think some sort of brightness adjuster would be good depending on how or when you're using them. Do they have brightness adjusters?

General consensus is you can never have enough brightness. If you’re worried about getting blinded by them the color changing ones are what you want. Can be bright white or a nice eye friendly deep red. The one thing about the LUX I don’t like is that they heat sink the emitters through the magnet. High output led emitters put out surprising amounts of heat and need to cool, the other lights have a larger piece to spread the heat out and dissipate it. The lux ones are designed to transfer that heat to the metal it’s magnetized to, and this keeps the light itself small and easily movable etc. But it’s possible that isn’t efficient enough depending where you put them and you slowly cook the light. But they do have a warranty and I tend to overthink things soo, meh.

fiend

Caught the Bug

Some of the photos in this thread give you an idea about brightness, at least of Cyclones and LUX. Perhaps more important than brightness is placement. If the light isn’t shining where you need to see, it doesn’t matter how bright it is. Some people end up with shadows that render the lights ineffective.

Jimmypaget

IMG_0085.jpg IMG_0087.jpg . Here’s a couple of shots of my setup. It’s 4 lux lights and a string of cheap o Amazon lights stuck under the rock rails. The lux’s are amazingly bright.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I'm on my second set of LUX lights. I originally ran their Max series in White from 2016 to 2019, and last year I swapped them for 8 RGB MONSTERS with the control box for the app on my phone. (I bought 12, but had a couple bad lights)

RGB lights are plenty bright, but not as bright as a white-only light. On my trips to Moab and Sand Hollow this year, I adjusted them to Red most of the time. It's easier on the eyes and you can still see plenty.

I have the box getting power from my power management system. When I turn them on, they default to WHITE. Then when I bring up the XKChrome application, it changes to my last setting and I can change the color, brightness, make the lights flash and all that fancy stuff. They are easily dimmable through the app. I originally thought it was going to be a gimmicky feature, but Ive actually used it often.

Inside the control box is three zones. 1 and 2 are RGB, and the 3rd is NON-RGB (interior/underhood maybe?) I've not messed with it. I just have them all connected to Zone 1.

ProTip: Buy an extra light or two and test them before installing. I've ordered from them twice and both times I've had faulty lights. Not a big deal, just send them an email and wait. They'll send you a return code a few days later and you mail it in. They will send you replacements after they receive it. (Even though their website says send them a picture and you're good, that's not the case.)
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 4.45.06 PM.jpg

Top Bottom